Hello all and some quick questions?

• So My new Kemper will be here in a few days! Did a price match at Musicans friend here in the USA and got it for 1500$ Plus I get 150$ gift card.

Honestly can't wait to start playing on the thing.

But I have a few questions.

1. I own a Emu 0404 PCE sound card and it only accepts 1/4 jacks. Is XLR really any better for direct ?
    [Blocked Image: http://media.soundonsound.com/sos/sep04/images/emu0404.l.jpg]

2. is about the update. What does the master sound being sent through the headphone jack help with recording?
    Is there a way to have your recording session come through the kemper and out the headphone jack on the front of the unit?

• Welcome!

1- just use the spdif connection
    2- No, you cannot monitor the DAW from the Kemper.

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• May I ask where you found the discount price as I just ordered mine from MF and would like to see if they would honor that as well. Would be greatly appreciated. I tried JRR Shop, but they no longer do %15 off.

• May I ask where you found the discount price as I just ordered mine from MF and would like to see if they would honor that as well. Would be greatly appreciated. I tried JRR Shop, but they no longer do %15 off.

Sorry for the delay.

I emailed Jrr and they said they could do it, but you would have to wait for them to get some in stock.
    Muscians friend will do it, you have to call them in.

( no power amp version )

I did the 150% deal and i will get 150$ store credit as well ( in 45 days after order ).
    The deal is still listed on their website if they say they don't do it anymore.

I got mine for 1580$, Could go lower if you know how to talk them down.

• on mixers the connection by xlrs is often routed differently (higher amplification, other impedances) than by ts/trs-jacks. i'm no pro in the technology behind that, but i think that's about it.

• Hey Gio,

XLR connections is not necessarily better than a jack connection. Balanced signal lines can be better than unbalanced lines tho: a more robust signal and more resistance to external interferences. The latter is a real advantage only in electrically noisy environments and\or when using long cables.

A balanced line requires three wires. XLRs cables and sockets are usually balanced (the cable needs three wires inside), but a jack is able to supply a balanced line as long as it's "stereo" along with its cable.
    So, if the jack sockets (both on the source and the destination device) are "stereo" (meaning they've got three contacts inside), the jack plugs are stereo (ditto; they have two plastic rings on them, which isolate three contact areas) and they are connected via three wires inside the cable, you're done.

Probably, an XLR system may exhibit a mechanically stronger connection. But that's all.

Summing up, if the jack sockets on you card are described as "balanced", and you use stereo jack cables with them, you're balanced :D

• Thanks. I decided to just pick up some short XLR cables as well as a couple Spdifs so i can have all my bases covered for reamping.

I always had issues with noise when it comes to being hooked to my pc and stuff. Becomes a real pain because sometimes it's there and then it's not.

• It doesn't seem your audio device can manage XLRs tho... unless you're referring to double-standard cables (with different plugs on each end).

As for noise, a balanced line is able to reduce the noises that the cable itself picks from the environment, but can't do anything if something else is picking it.

• It doesn't seem your audio device can manage XLRs tho... unless you're referring to double-standard cables (with different plugs on each end).

As for noise, a balanced line is able to reduce the noises that the cable itself picks from the environment, but can't do anything if something else is picking it.

They make XLR to 1/4s