Get this profile as long as it is free. This is an order!

• Get this profile as long as it is free. This is an order! :D

Serious, i could not stop playing. A Redplate seems to be sought after and those profiles are very good.
    I have never before played a solo with a profile of Andi's where i reduced the gain. The amp carries you!

My occupation: showing teenagers the many hidden secrets of the A-minor chord on the guitar.

• Well then, what profile do you recommend for the solo tone of "Knocking on heaven's door"?

The thing i liked so much about this particular profile is that it "sings" without needing a lot of gain
    which then can give you a lot of mud in the mix. But i always appreciate recommendations.

My occupation: showing teenagers the many hidden secrets of the A-minor chord on the guitar.

• Dont follow a crowd Ger..

If you like it, stick to it :), that's what playing is all about, making you feel happy!. - everything is subjective. but its your ears that are important to you.. and you alone!. - I dig it also, and use it quite a lot recently on various record productions. - my philosophy, if it fits, works, sounds good then look no more, your work is done!. - you can often play the I wonder if the grass is greener game... but then your exhausted, and fatigued with too much choice!.

So no problem!. just enjoy it!

• Have to agree. Not too impressed by this one but everyone's got a different taste.

Same here. Never liked that one.

geraldo

For a slash tone I use the AFD100 profiles on the rig exchange paired with the greenback cab from the Siggi Mehl amp (or any other Greenback cab). I know Slash uses V30s on stage but cabs with those speakers just don't work for me. I also read somewhere that Slash uses old cabs with 25 Watt Greenbacks in the studio as well - particularly on sessions in their haydays.

• I loaded these Redplate freebies into my KPA last night...thanks Andy.
    Using a Tele I was getting some weird kind of Pink Floyd "Dogs" FX tones going on, very interesting FX that Andy setup on some of these Profiles.

Yep, the wonderful world of guitarists, one man hears Pink Floyd "Dogs", the next man hears "Knocking on Heavens door", and the next man hears sh*te!!! :D

You gotta love guitarists. :thumbup:

• cork sniffers

Loved the cork sniffers simile..... there are snobs and hipsters in all wallks of life.

If it sounds good, then it's good, it boils down to it IMHO.

I'll try the profiles this evening...

Thanks for pointing this out!.

M.

• Same here. Never liked that one.

geraldo

For a slash tone I use the AFD100 profiles on the rig exchange paired with the greenback cab from the Siggi Mehl amp (or any other Greenback cab). I know Slash uses V30s on stage but cabs with those speakers just don't work for me. I also read somewhere that Slash uses old cabs with 25 Watt Greenbacks in the studio as well - particularly on sessions in their haydays.

actually I tried the afd100 profiles and they didnt do slash well for me , I compared them to isolated slash guitar tracks from rock band .
    maybe they arent miked properly or whatever, but they seem quite a bit harsher and not thick enough for slashs tone

• not saying that tweaking the eq and all that is bad but ..

actually 99 percent of guitar is in the miking ,I think over eqing and tons of compression on an already compressed guitar sound via distortion destroys the tone and doesnt make it closer to what you want , its go tto be right at the source to begin , no amount of post eq can fix it .

check micahel wageners comments on using the kemper on his video , he mentions he doesnt use any compression on distorted guitars , and prefers to get it right with miking as opposed to eq after the fact ,

Hercules, your comparing an album created guitar tone to that of a normal profiled amp profile? the one on the Rig exchange might be bang on, but you have to make the rest yourself.. they recorded through Comps/EQ's good Pre's desks etc...

Really?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32kBaZFPzHs

• for guys thinking some magic process is done after the fact to the miked sound or the profile , there isnt , less is more according to great producers like m wagener , " you have to get it right at the source"

you cant fix it with eq , only subtle adjustments should be made and wont get you that AFD album tone

• of course. the source is right.. however the recording chain still caters for a lot of the tone you hear on the album.. - then of course you also need to take into consideration the recording chain/mixdown...running the same signal through a Neve desk wont sound the same as running it through a SSL desk.. its far different having a empty bedroom with a single mic and expect to just capture the same sound?

When we record guitars in studio, we go to hugh lengths to get things right.. but at the end of the day, we didn't actually do "much" to the signal.. but its what its all running through, and onto and then from that matters.

• of course. the source is right.. however the recording chain still caters for a lot of the tone you hear on the album.. - then of course you also need to take into consideration the recording chain/mixdown...running the same signal through a Neve desk wont sound the same as running it through a SSL desk.. its far different having a empty bedroom with a single mic and expect to just capture the same sound?

When we record guitars in studio, we go to hugh lengths to get things right.. but at the end of the day, we didn't actually do "much" to the signal.. but its what its all running through, and onto and then from that matters.

I have bought and still use some of your profiles and they are very good , I am just saying the afd100 ones in my opinion were far from slash tone I tried a ton of eq , but still couldnt nail it some of your others the plexi and soldano sound great to me . Would you ever consider offerering say profiles using the same gear and eq matched to a particular tone of a song? I would buy i think many would .

thanks

• ya know I get asked this a lot, and quite frankly Im scared too.. - Ive done a lot of "record matching tones" for many years for artists IN house.. but never done it on a global scale, simply because if your not next to me its a case of sit and tweek until happy...but send it out there.. then all your gear will sound totally different to mine...

however Im not a defeatist.. and I do plan on doing a special pack sometime.. but it wont be commercial, it will be for the fun of it for free.. as as I said above.. I'd rather not get shouted at if things go wrong when you get hold of "my" version of say.. slash's Appetite tone :)

• ya know I get asked this a lot, and quite frankly Im scared too.. - Ive done a lot of "record matching tones" for many years for artists IN house.. but never done it on a global scale, simply because if your not next to me its a case of sit and tweek until happy...but send it out there.. then all your gear will sound totally different to mine...

however Im not a defeatist.. and I do plan on doing a special pack sometime.. but it wont be commercial, it will be for the fun of it for free.. as as I said above.. I'd rather not get shouted at if things go wrong when you get hold of "my" version of say.. slash's Appetite tone :)

I apologize If i sounded like I was complaining etc,

I just get frustrated Like many of us trying to get a great guitar tone that we have heard on a record and its been the same for years like all the promises made by line 6 etc , then you plug it in and say oh wait it doesnt sound like the record or the miked up amp , then jump through hoops trying to make it sound like that .

Really I have bought a bunch of your stuff and it sounds good though so this is no slam on your product I was just stating my experience with the afd100 ones in particular.

• Hey man, its totally cool. - (tbh I actually thought we were talking about some dudes AFD on the Rig exchange haha)- but mine, or his, fair enough no matter, the point is still the same. - guitar players will need to work hard at getting a tone.. some chase tones for many years.. and for others its easy..

Mark Knoffler plays gilmours rig.. and sounds like Knofler.. whilst Gilmour plays Knoflers rig, and sounds exactly like Gilmore.

Ive been fooled too many times with sounds that I hear from others, in "getting/Nailing " a certain tone that I'd need, only to download it, and its nothing like what it actually is on a record..plain and simple too much going on that we don't know about..and (as Im a mixing/recording engineer) we have spend decades experimenting with secrets that justify our existence as engineers :) - but the point im making.. is its all about experimentation.. you have to have a base.. then upgrade from there until you find what you are looking for!.

Downloading slash's tone.. now that would be far too easy! : )