Line 6 Amplifi 150 - A solution for home?

• Hi folks

after the review from Ingolf I had to order the Line6 Amplifi 150. My intention was focused on the usage as a FRFR to get more this amp style feel. Not interested at all in the Line6 modelling :)

First impressions:

It is very easy to link the KPA to the Amplifi by using an Y-cable into the mini stereo aux. The advantage vs. all the FRFR PA speakers I tried: no noise and hiss. Absolute silence. This is very important for me. The sound that I hear is in fact very good. Compared to my Yamaha HS80 it sounds now really like an amp. When I switch back and forth between my real Fender Deluxe Reverb and the Deluxe profile from Andy it has the same character and vibe around it. Very nice.

The next thing I tried was to play my Yamaha Nylon Acoustic into the KPA and then Amplifi. After some back and forth I was very happy with the results. The same was true when I played my Jazz bass through an Ampeg profile. Very warm bass sound.

As Ingolf already described is the sound of mp3 also very pleasant.

The disadvantages so far were:

- the thing is really not loud. You can achieve a nice level that does not hurt but also does not shake your walls.I could not imagine to use this in a band setting. May be it is louder with the guitar input? I always looked for smthing that sounds great and is not so loud ....

- At least with my Strat I got some ugly feedbacks when dialing in more overdrive sounds.... need to check why.

After the test I am asking myself several questions:

- why are the studio monitors less amp like vs the Amplifi? Could I achieve the same roundness with a sub-woofer?
    - while I am not interested in the Line6 modelling and mp3 capabilities I am wondering if a Line6 Stage Monitor system would deliver a similar result (is more expensive but would give more power if needed)?
    - are there other similar FRFR systems in such a compact way that may have similar sound qualities w/o hiss, noise and so on at this price point?

My recommendation is to try it out in case you want something for your KPA at home.

What do you think?

Cheers
    Sacapuntas

• Cheers for these impressions.

I think the fact alone that the Amplifi enclosure stands on the bottom (mostly facing a wall in the back) means that some early reflections are created that make for a more amp like experience as studio monitors which often (in my case) are on a stand or isolated on a desk.

Secondly I agree about the loudness. I wish Line 6 would make an amplifi 300 with double and enoufgh headroom.
    I also agree ist's not really suited for a band situation.

but: It sounds very good, so it's great at home, in the living room.

Just FYI: Using the guitar input and using the Line 6 modeling will give you a louder experience than using the aux jack.
    You can even plug the Kemper Main Out in the guitar in, disable Line 6 amp modeling from the amplifi app (yes, it's possible!!) and go.
    Disadvantage in this case is you can't have Stereo FX from the profiler (only from the Amplifi if you absolutely must have stereo FX).

• So is the Amplifi 150 better sounding at home than the DXR10? Better than the Mustang III via monitor?

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer

• I would not compare the amplifi with a real monitor system. The advantage of the line6 device is its total silence, no hum, no hiss....no ventilator noise! And you can play music through it by bluetooth. Furthermore, it can be used as a guitar amp if needed. However, the thing is not really loud and therefore it is just good for home.. At least in my opinion. With the Yamaha FRFR you can gig and play with bands. For home use I did not like the hiss and ventilator noise....

• So is the Amplifi 150 better sounding at home than the DXR10? Better than the Mustang III via monitor?

Well, I wouldn't say better.
    It certainly is FRFR and it can substitute your music player as well. The Mustang III is great for amplifying the profiler but it is not FRFR.
    For going stereo you'd need 2 DXR 10, and the DXR 10 is waaay louder than the Amplifi.
    They are different things.
    The Amplifi is a convenience thing. It's for multi purpose home use and it is great at that.

• Ingolf, a question.
    My kemper is away for repair and i'm trying BIAS now. Could i stream the output from Bias/jamup to the line6 via Bluetooth?

That would really rock.

• Ingolf, a question.
    My kemper is away for repair and i'm trying BIAS now. Could i stream the output from Bias/jamup to the line6 via Bluetooth?

That would really rock.

No that's not possible unfortunately.
    The guitar must be physically connected either via input or aux in, the music can be streamed via Bluetooth.

• No that's not possible unfortunately.
    The guitar must be physically connected either via input or aux in, the music can be streamed via Bluetooth.

You mean you can't if you want to use the Line 6 modeling the guitar input, right? Otherwise, the iOS output would be the same regardless of the app (BIAS, iTunes, etc)

• You mean you can't if you want to use the Line 6 modeling the guitar input, right? Otherwise, the iOS output would be the same regardless of the app (BIAS, iTunes, etc)

Don't know if I understand you correctly but I haven't found a guitar app yet that streams audio via bluetooth.
    Bias, Jamup, etc. they don't.
    OTOH it's no problem to stream audio via bluetooth from iTunes, Spotify, Youtube.

• Don't know if I understand you correctly but I haven't found a guitar app yet that streams audio via bluetooth.
    Bias, Jamup, etc. they don't.
    OTOH it's no problem to stream audio via bluetooth from iTunes, Spotify, Youtube.

This surprises me. You are correct, the output from BIAS won't stream to my only BT device (my car radio).

There should be no reason that a bluetooth headphone can't play anything that would be routed to the speakers or wired headphone jack. Unless the device plugged into the iOS device (in my case, Line 6 Sonic PORT) is intercepting the output. This seems wrong to me. ?(