Kemper noise gate vs IPS Decimator (V1 or V2)

• Hello,

I just wanted to ask you if anyone here compared the noise gate of Kemper itself with something very high-end like IPS Decimator. I wonder how these two would compare, especially the later second version of Decimator that was introduced few months back. It would also be great if somebody could post some video/audio on both clean and hi-gain sounds with single-coils comparing these two.

Thanks

• I have a decimator v1 (bought a v2 once but wasn't better than v1), and find the kemper NG superior.
    The best NG I have found is actually the one of the Zoom MS-100BT: when i mute strings, the sound is stopped immediately, not the case with ISP (unless the threshold is set high, too high).

Also with the ISP I always must set the thresold depending on the amount of gain of my chain, sometimes even just after turning a pedal on. If set too high ,there is no sound, too low and theres is no noise reduction.
    It will be soon for sale.

• I have a decimator v1 (bought a v2 once but wasn't better than v1), and find the kemper NG superior.
    The best NG I have found is actually the one of the Zoom MS-100BT: when i mute strings, the sound is stopped immediately, not the case with ISP (unless the threshold is set high, too high).

Also with the ISP I always must set the thresold depending on the amount of gain of my chain, sometimes even just after turning a pedal on. If set too high ,there is no sound, too low and theres is no noise reduction.
    It will be soon for sale.

Thanks for the response. Do you (or anybody here) think that it may be improved even more via SW updates or does it have to do something with the internal HW of the Kemper that is as it is and cannot be optimised - say to be on par with said Zoom? Thanks

• I considered an ISP but after playing with the Kemper I can't a need for anything else. I use the noise gate set to about 1.0 or so (will raise it a bit if the venue's power adds any noise) and add a gate when even I use high gain or switch to single coils. Just play with it and I'm sure you can find settings that work for you.

• Thanks for the response. Do you (or anybody here) think that it may be improved even more via SW updates or does it have to do something with the internal HW of the Kemper that is as it is and cannot be optimised - say to be on par with said Zoom? Thanks

I guess a starting point for them to optimize would be if you'd say exactly what you don't like about it :P
    But seriously: you don't say what is it that you find suboptimal in kemper's noise gate. Mind that there are two, btw: one, always on, controlled by the big knob on the left, and one as a stomp. They work in a completely different way (in fact, I like the stomp way better). If you haven't, try that!

• I have owned an old Decimator and currently have an MXR Smart Gate. The Kemper gate is far superior to both in my opinion, it's a lot more 'set and forget' than the other two, which is what you want, nothing worse than faffing about with a gate. Just leave it on and play!

• I'd like the Input NG (not the stomp) could be "placed" after all the fx, for those "hard-gated" sounds. Currently reverb (to name one) goes on working when the sound stops.
    The Ng stomp works differently, and I by far prefer the other one for my applications

:)