Help connecting two sources to the same active cab

• Wonder whether anyone can help me with this?

While on holidays I'm connecting my Profiler to an FBT Amico100 active cab, which has got an XLR input only.
    I wanted to amplify the iPad though the same cab in order play along with some music or drum patterns, so I bought some Y adapters.
    Each of the sources works well by itself, but when they play together the Profiler sound distorted.
    Levels are good, input sensitivity is properly set. It's not a matter of levels and, interestingly enough, if the iPad's volume is set to 0 the Profiler sounds good; when I just raise it by the minimum amount, the Profiler distorts.

Then I tried and used the Profiler's headphones out (30 ohm FWIW). The Profiler sounds loud and clear as long as the iPad's volume is set to 0. When I just raise it by a line, two things happen: the Profiler's volume drops dramathically, and whenever I hit a note a bit harder there's an explosion of static and distortion, as if a Gate opened towards an overloaded input.

I'd note that I did not buy a mixer because it was not worth spending more than 15 € for the whole thing. But I'd like to find a solution if it exists, and to understand what's going on at the very least 8o

:thumbup:

• Thanks guys, it works much better via the Alternative input. I too believe it is a matter of impedance, but can't think of a clear working model for the issue.

@whippinpost: you just called me "Coals Road" :D