Petrucci 5-Band EQ Settings

• Hello Everybody!

I know it's hard to get the right 5-band eq settings for Mesa Boogie Mark series, so I have calculated the Gain and Q-setting, taken from the original Mesa Boogie drawings.

The original EQ have a Gain setting +/- 12dB.

Since the Kemper don't have a EQ finished with these freq, it's easy to put one EQ in Slot X (80Hz - 2200 Hz) and another in Slot MOD with 6600Hz.

Classic V-Curve:
    80Hz = +10dB, Q = 1.17
    240Hz = +3dB, Q = 1.937
    750Hz = -10dB, Q = 2.12
    2200Hz = +3dB, Q = 0.673
    6600Hz = +9dB, Q = 1.0

Here are some Petrucci settings, the Q is the same as above.

Petrucci 1:
    80Hz = +7dB
    240Hz = +6dB
    750Hz = -11dB
    2200Hz = +5dB
    6600Hz = +6dB

Petrucci 2:
    80Hz = +10dB
    240Hz = +3dB
    750Hz = -11dB
    2200Hz = +4dB
    6600Hz = +7dB

Petrucci 3 (Mark IV):
    80Hz = +3dB
    240Hz = +1dB
    750Hz = -3dB
    2200Hz = 0dB
    6600Hz = -2dB

Petrucci 4 (Mark IIC+):
    80Hz = +3dB
    240Hz = +2dB
    750Hz = -7dB
    2200Hz = -3dB
    6600Hz = +0.1dB

Petrucci 5:
    80Hz = +11dB
    240Hz = +6dB
    750Hz = -6dB
    2200Hz = +10dB
    6600Hz = +4.5dB

The last one is settings for a MXR 10-band settings:

Petrucci :
    31.25Hz = +11dB, 62.5Hz = +6dB, 125Hz = +6dB, 250Hz = 0dB, 500Hz = -10dB, 1kHz = -10dB, 2kHz = -4.5dB, 4kHz = +5dB,
    8kHz = +2dB, 16kHz = -1dB

Hope you all enloy this.

• Hello!

This is the actual settings in Mesa Boogie Mark series. If you find a profile that have the EQ in the amp in OFF mode, then you can apply these settings.

I have tried these settings with some profiles of Mesa Boogie and I must say that the EQ settings "warm up" the sound. It depends what profile you choose and how it sounds, but if you take a profile and apply these settings, perhaps you have to tweak the volume of the EQ's.

I forgot that you have to use Studio EQs for these settings.

• Hello!

This is the actual settings in Mesa Boogie Mark series. If you find a profile that have the EQ in the amp in OFF mode, then you can apply these settings.

Yes, thanks. But in many amps the eq bands interact with each other, so you don't get ghe same sound even when mimic'ing their positions.
    My question was related to the Triaxis: do you know if/how the eq bands interact?

• Hello Viabcroce!

How the Dynamic Voice is working is a little bit tricky. As you increase the Dynamic Voice, the function becomes more and more a V-curve setting. You can read more in the manual on the preamp how this function works.

You should be able to either turn this knob all the way down, or switch off this completly.

• Hello Sledge!

Sorry, perhaps I didn't was clearly about how to set up these EQ's.

First you choose a Studio EQ for Slot X.
    Set the Lo Gain at 80Hz, gain setting and Q.
    Set Midgain 1 for 240Hz, gain setting and Q.
    Set Midgain 2 for 750Hz, gain setting and Q.
    Set the Hi Gain at 0.0dB and turn the freq all the way up.

Now select another Studio Eq for Slot MOD.
    Set the Lo Gain at 0.0dB and turn the freq all the way down.
    Set Midgain 1 for 2200Hz, gain setting and Q.
    Set Midgain 2 for 6600Hz, gain setting and Q.
    Set the Hi Gain at 0.0dB and turn the freq all the way up.

The Q setting for 80Hz isn't so important, so I did it like this. I think this works very well.

• You mean how did I come up with the result for the Freq, Gain and the Q?
    I used a RLC calculator for the frequencies for the eq online. Which freq bands, you can see on the amp itself, the Q setting you have to calculate.

• Oh, I see - you estimated the Q from the center frequencies of the bands. I was hoping you'd actually measured them empirically or worked them out from the schematics.

Are the EQ positions mentioned in the Mesa docs as well? I Imagine the MXR settings were just a curve approximation, but +11dB at 31.25Hz - yikes. Even with a bass ;)

-djh

• Ha, the old good DrBertson! ^^

I had forgotten this thread, even tho he never clarified how he took into account the interaction between the tome controls...

He might have left something useful behind himself after all :thumbup:

• Ha, the old good DrBertson! ^^

I had forgotten this thread, even tho he never clarified how he took into account the interaction between the tome controls...

He might have left something useful behind himself after all :thumbup:

I've got news for you, I know what KB did was crazy and dishonest, but, he was the best Kemper tweaker I've come across since day one.
    Some of his "Rigs" (using Profiles made by others) are fantastic....AC30, OCD, etc.