Reverse Cab Maker

• Unfortunately I no longer have my Orange cabinet. This is for my backup. I have a Two Notes CAB and wanted to see if the cabinet portion of the profile translated well to have a similar sound that I have from my Kemper.

"More Guitar in the Monitors" :thumbup:

• Understood, but there are more people on this forum so to avoid the next question of why don't you just re-mic the cabinet I provided more detail. In your case scenario I would need to have a somewhat neutral mic so it did not effect the IR from the Kemper profile as well. I was hoping that since the current software converts to .kipr that maybe it would also be able to convert from. If not it's not the end of the world as what I am getting is very good and acceptable just curious if I could reproduce the cabinet in the two notes world.

• Well, why not make a feature request, although I doubt this will happen? ;)

Agreed....seems the IR stuff in the Kemper world is not as big with the cabinet and amp profile being the prominent factors. I was just hoping some well versed IR people might have an idea on this. If not, other people are creating IR's that sound fine I just spent time with my cabinets and mics to sound like I wanted them to so I was trying to see if somehow I could utilize the work already done. Not that big of a deal.

• Understood, but there are more people on this forum so to avoid the next question of why don't you just re-mic the cabinet I provided more detail. In your case scenario I would need to have a somewhat neutral mic so it did not effect the IR from the Kemper profile as well.

Not only this as I already wrote myself, but I doubt the cab you mentioned would be linear enough to not represent the same issue as the mic :)

• why is there a need for a real mic at all? Just shoot an IR of the Kemper, with nothing in the KPA patch but the speaker block turned on - it won't be 100% cab/mic and include some amp resonance probably, but it should be similar.

DAW Out > KPA In > KPA Out > DAW In

http://designingsound.org/2012…ording-impulse-responses/

Scroll down for the software that's useful, but you could also test your own samples. this article says you could use the output of the KPA from a transient and put it directly into an IR loader. for a sine sweep, you'll need a deconvolver. there's lots of different software, with lots of options, but the premise is simple...at least to get results...not mathematically.

• Thanks. I tried it with the two notes blendIR software and got some results. I need to readjust volume, but it appears to be there. I will compare tomorrow. I went Computer to EIE (usb) - EIE out - KPA In - KPA Out - EIE in.

• I have created IRs from cabs (and/or EQs) from within the KPA by using the stock impulse response utility of my Mac. Very convenient, just three mouse clicks or so.

Basically I tried this in order to free the X slot (by converting KPA cab + EQ (in X slot) -> IR -> with CabMaker back to KPA as a KPA cab). This didn't work well, but then again I only fiddled with this for a couple of hours .... :D

According to my experiments, the obtained IRs were not directly useful (very coloured, but EQ helped a lot).

• The purist way to do this in DSP land is quite straightforward - and the very definition of "impulse response".

1) Create an empty 44kHz/24-bit audio file in a tool like Sound Forge. Insert a few seconds of silence, then draw the loudest possible positive single-sample impulse at or near the beginning. This sounds a brief click.

2) Enable the Cabinet model of your Kemper and only the Cabinet model. Everything else off, unless you're intending to capture that too.

3) Reamp the click file you created through your Kemper via S/PDIF and capture what comes back. For best results, crank whatever volumes you need to on the Kemper in order to generate the largest impulse response that doesn't clip the Kemper's S/PDIF output. Record this.

4) Trim off the silence from the result. That's your impulse response.

5) Normalize the final result and you're done!

-djh

• Don't have a solution, but to see what it might sound like, take your amp (assume line out from the amp if it has it, or from a load box with a line out) go from that into rear input, disable pre amp effects in kemper, disable amp and amp eq leaving CAB active - gives you an idea of what an IR of your profiled cab might sound like if you had an ir of it... eh... maybe 8)

Side track, have you tried the CAB updated to the newest firmware etc with the Kemper? have worked it to some very good results (only at bedroom levels, no idea how it would translate in other appications)

• The purist way to do this in DSP land is quite straightforward - and the very definition of "impulse response".

Thanks. This is an area I will going through a learning curve. I will look this up and further my understanding as I try the approach.

have you tried the CAB updated to the newest firmware etc with the Kemper?

I have updated the CAB and the Kemper, but I have the Kemper separate from the CAB. The CAB is setup with an AMT Tube preamp and dist. and FX pedals. I just wanted to see if the cabinets I profiled translated well from the Kemper to the CAB. There are plenty of cabinets to choose from in the CAB I just get wild hairs sometimes and want to try other things.