Recommended / flat-response / non-colouring MONITORING units passive/active... Preferences?

• Just wanted to ensure I was contacting the appropriate people!! - I searched ebayUK for Atomic CLR and there is nothing UK-wide....

I have velcro shoes

CURRENT:
    (FLOOR) Kemper Remote w/ Mission exp + EB VP
    (RACK) Kemper PowerRack

• Ideally looking for a 2nd hand unit to keep costs down... It's only going to get stepped on anyway...!!

ps. didn't know if there was a specific email for a UK dealer that you might have had contact details for - which is why I asked directly

Cheers

CURRENT:
    (FLOOR) Kemper Remote w/ Mission exp + EB VP
    (RACK) Kemper PowerRack

• I have velcro shoes

LOL. Well played, nEVH5150! 8)

Just as an alternative suggestion/recommendation...you might want to check out XiTone cabs. I am very happy with my new XiTone 1x12 passive wedge.

This is especially true if you prefer a linear, full-range speaker solution that leans more towards a traditional guitar cab sound, versus leaning more towards a "reference" monitor type of experience. This is exactly what appealed to me about the XiTone, when I was researching FRFR monitor solutions, and I can testify that it delivers on this experience. Also, IMHO, it represents fantastic "bang for the buck", considering it is $499 USD for the passive version, or $899 USD for the active version, which is powered by a Matrix Amplification GM50 Amplifier Module.

I believe Mick Farlowe (XiTone) will ship to EU countries...but you would need to contact him to enquire about shipping arrangements and cost.

There are a bunch of XiTone owners, both here on the Kemper User Forum, as well as on The Gear Page. Do a GOOGLE search if you are interested in reading more owner impressions, experience and reviews.

With that said, there other systems recommended in this thread (e.g., Yamaha DXR, Atomic CLR, QSC) are all excellent options.

Cheers,
    John

Edited 2 times, last by Tritium ().

• For me it has the flattest response and little coloration, I could hear much more clearly the differences between different amps and cab profiles. It also has an extremely wide dispersion. I personally found the Yamaha s and EVs added a bit of boxy midrange. My second choice at least at the time would have been a Yamaha DXR10.
    The CLR is $995 US, The Yamaha is a good value and less expensive.

• My PA-system include a Yamaha DSR rig (stacks of DSR112 + DSR118W) so I've been using one or two of those DSR112s with my KPA too. Any number of such high-end active FR-speaker will do with a minimum of EQ-ing (Yamaha, JBL, QSC). The DSR112 comes close to the Atomic CLR (price as well as sound), but I think I would choose the CLR if it was to be used exclusively as a monitor for the KPA.

My next step down is the DXR10. I've also tested the DXR12 as a monitor for the KPA but found that the 10" does the job equally well unless there's some heavy downtuning going on.

The DBR-series was a disappointment. Its only positive is the low weight.

As passive monitors go I'd recommend Atomics passive CLR (wedge or cabinet) or a PortCity cabinet. There is a growing market for both active and passive FR-monitors for amp-sims so there's a steady stream of new products hitting the market. I don't have much experience with the passive alternatives though.

Personally I'm gravitating towards IEM's for both rehearsals and live performances. All I really need is a copy of the main mix with my own instruments and voice raised a couple dB over the rest. Such a setup with individual monitor mixes is done in no time with a modern digital mixing console. You get a quality set of custom/adapted ear-pieces and a transmitter/receiver for the price of a high-end active monitor. For rehearsal you can also use headphone-amps and headphones. There's no need to have the drummer dictate the stage volume in this time and age. I value my hearing too much for that.

Edited 2 times, last by heldal ().

• Today i got a Yamaha DXR 12. Sounds a bit muddy. I think i have to tweak a while. But at the moment
    i'm not totally happy with it. We will see...

Imo the DXR12 is just a little bit too bass heavy. Try using the high pass on the DXR or use lower the bass control on the output EQ of the KPA. If you really think the sound is too dull maybe you are just used to a different sound? What were you unsing before? Perhaps try some brighter sounding profiles. Imo the DXR12s should get you near to the point what the KPA will sound through a FOH PA.

• As deadpan said, i moved the box on a chair, out of the corner. That really make a little difference. But there is still this
    midrange mud. I'going to to borrow a Monacor MEGA-DSP12 just to compare. So i can find out if it is the Box,
    the adjustments of the Kemper or if I have mud in my ears...
    P.S.: Shure i tested many profiles and i left the output EQ neutral (all at zero).

Edited once, last by hal2000 ().