Papa's got a brand new bag

• The benefits of a pet-free home are often emphasised when I'm looking to buy some gear on eBay or similar. Well I never worried too much as we have 3 elderly cats ourselves.

Then disaster struck. We were experimenting using a different litter tray and in the feline confusion one cat peed on my Namba bag, shock horror! I don't want to name names, but I think Rosie did it!

Anyway, I spent a lot of time and money using special sprays (to eliminate the smell), but they didn't work. There was always that vague, embarrassing aroma!

So there was no choice! I undid the internal zips on the bag and removed all the foam and stiffening from it. I then put the now floppy bag into the washing machine on a cool wash with bio powder. Then into the blow drier on a dry synthetic setting. I hope you are all noting the technical machine settings (no controls should be turned up to 11).

The bag emerged clean and smelt as fresh as a daisy! The foam and stiffening went back in with a bit of difficulty, but now the bag looks brand new.

• No, Ingolf, the foam is relatively impervious and the pee was a small amount on the top. Using the chemical antidotes spread the evil aroma. Eugh! But all is now well except that Rosie may have fallen in love with the bag. If it happens again I may have to repeat the process and turn everything up to 11!

• I've not yet noticed pet information on selling gear. I guess it makes sense if people have allergies to pets. I guess it's a buyer beware thing. If someone wanting to buy asks the question I'll answer truthfully.

I once bought a guitar that was touted as "new" and came with "a hard case". It came smelling like cigar smoke and a soft bag. I offered to return it and the guy said "no" and I gave him a bad review and he blew up. I think something smelling like cigar smoke when advertised as "new" is a no-no you shouldn't have to ask about tho, and so I commonly see "smoke free home" and use it myself because of this incident.

As to cat pee, I didn't think anything actually worked. I had a Cat-Mobile once. Can't get it out of car carpet.