UPDATED/FIXED New owner - no sound when using front input please help

• Hi all,

Just bought a new Kemper and registered in the forum but it wont allow me to start a post in the help section so im posting here.

anyway, brand new out of box Kemper unpowered head.
    powered up and went thru the time/date/name routine all good
    Kemper then displayed a rig all good
    I have my Dynaudio monitors connected to the TRS outs at the back and my guitar cable in the front input.
    No sound from the Kemper although I can hear white noise when I crank the master vol/gain up
    I went into the input screen and it was showing "front input" by default
    Tried the headphone out - no sound
    Changed the input to "alternate input" in the menu and I get the rig sounding thru the monitors (but its a bit hummy) using the same guitar cable (so its not the cable)
    Its as if nothing is registering in the front input/headphone sockets
    Im thinking that its some dumb user issue but I cant see what

Please help me!!!!

• Did you check the volume settings in the output section?
    BTW: Use front input, it's less noisy and you keep the alternative input free for other applications.

I could have farted and it would have sounded good! (Brian Johnson)

• Hi
    thanks for responding

ok so Im looking at the screen under "output"
    I can see that :
    page 1
    main output = master stereo
    monitor output off
    direct output off
    master stereo spdif output
    page 2
    main out link is ticked
    headphone link ticked
    the 2 middle headings are greyed out
    main volume says -20db but changes if i move the master knob
    monitor/direct/headphone vol all show and "infinity symbol" whatever that means

cheers

• What are your monitors connected to? Main outs or monitor out? Are your Dynaudios passive or active monitors?
    Infinity symbol means it is muted.

• monitors connected to l/r main outs via trs jacks
    they are powered monitors
    as I mentioned I get a rig to sound from the alternate input at the back of the unit, its just that the front input doesnt seem to register that an input is present

• Hm...that seems strange. Please try TS jacks for connecting your monitors. What about the rig volume? Is it turned up (half way is the normal setting)?

• Hi

do you mean connect via xlr?
    if so, I dont have any unfortunately so cant test it
    rig volume is fine thru "alternate input" very loud in fact, as loud as I would have expected when turned up.
    when I turn the volume of the rig/master down to bedroom levels it gets very fizzy sounding, like when you have no cabinet attached to a digital amp patch (say on a POD for example).
    Im wondering if I should do a flash memory on the unit, what do you think?

• Not sure about the flash memory thing.
    First try this: No need for XLR's, just use two normal instrument/guitar cables, they have TS jacks.

• Do you have a loop active, but nothing in the loop?
    Check your effects, if one of them says loop. If so, just press the lighting button to switch the loop off - or remove it from the FX slot.
    Sounds like this...

• wont work unfortunately because the Dynaudios only have a xlr in connector
    Im using an xlr to trs cable for each monitor.
    i dont think its the output of the Kemper but rather something wrong with the input side of things,
    as I mentioned I can hear the rigs when using the "alternate input" setting/connection with my guitar cable but not from the front input when set as the default in the software

• Hi CPHfx

Ive only had the Kemper for an hour or so so its as per factory set up. I havent used any loops.
    Ive turned of all effects - im using the "both worlds" rig as a test rig
    If the loop was the issue would I still get sound thru the "alternate input"?
    thanks for helping :)

• Good ideas, CPHfx and mrs-zambesi!
    Joe, did you try again front input with headphone out now that you found out where its volume is located?

• My first suggestion is the common RTFM comment: read the manual. Both the basic "getting started" one and the "reference" manual, available online. For now, focus on the output settings. The manuals are easy to read and provide insight of every feature and function of the Kemper.

I'm thinking there are several issues going on here.

When you play through either input (with the setting for which input you are using properly configured), does the "output" light (the little green one above the soft button) illuminate? If it does, it's a problem with your connections going out from the amp. -Infinity means zero volume, which is why you aren't getting volume on your headphones out. Try turning this up and seeing if you're hearing output. You also have two volume knobs on the unit - a "master," which can control whatever you tie it to - main out, headphone out, monitor out, whatever - but you have to "link" them to the master volume control. This is why turning that knob adjusts that volume. The other volume knob is the volume for the current rig you are on. You may have turned this completely down and not realized it.

When you play through either input (with the setting for which input you are using properly configured), does the "input" light (the little green one above the soft button) illuminate? If it doesn't, it's a problem with your connections. Try a different guitar cable, and, if you're running pedals, try bypassing all of them. Otherwise, check the input settings - make sure things like clean sense and distortion sense are at 0. You can tweak these later.

As far as your outputs are concerned, TS = tip/sleeve, a.k.a. a mono guitar cable; TRS = tip/ring/sleeve, a.k.a. a balanced cable or a stereo cable (think headphones). You should NOT be using TRS cables to output anything, as all of the outputs on the back are single channel. You're effectively shorting out whatever power amp you're driving by using TRS cables on the main outs.

Also, if you're using a mono speaker setup, you want to use the monitor out instead. Try using that with a TS cable. THEN adjust your monitor volume from the output settings. You can link the monitor out's volume control to the master volume knob at a later time; for now, we need to get you sound.

Finally, have you tried browsing through the rigs? The rig you are on may be muted by some effect parameter or volume control. Try a different rig.

Guitars: Parker Fly Mojo Flame, Ibanez RG7620 7-string, Legator Ninja 8-string, Fender Strat & Tele, Breedlove Pro C25
    Pedalboard: Templeboards Trio 43, Mission VM-1, Morley Bad Horsie, RJM Mini Effect Gizmo, 6 Degrees FX Sally Drive, Foxpedals The City, Addrock Ol' Yeller, RJM MMGT/22, Mission RJM EP-1, Strymon Timeline + BigSky
    Stack: Furman PL-Plus C, Kemper Rack

• HI folks
    definitely using the input on the right side (not the headphone in)
    Ive plug my headphones in and if i turn up the vol/gain I can hear white noise thru them but no sound from the loaded rig (if using the front input)
    if i change the input to the "alternate input" I can hear thru the headphones so its definitely an issue with the front input jack
    I believe there is a system test function - would that help

• HI dougc84

ok, with the guitar plugged into the "alternate input" the output and input light illuminates and i hear the rig
    with the guitar plugged into the front input jack the output and input light does not illuminate and i dont hear the rig
    i tried other rigs its the same situation
    I can hear thru the monitors/headphones when plugged into "alternate input" but not when using the front input jack
    my connectors are 2 ring BTW (is that TS?)
    all the setting are as per default out of the box, not using pedals, haven't changed sense settings.
    I dont believe its any cabling issue as it works from the "alternate input" just not the front input
    im running a pair of studio monitors not mono
    thanks for helping

• You should be using a TS cable. A TRS cable will effectively short out your connection. There are no stereo inputs on the Kemper, as with any piece of professional gear (you'll have a single-channel left and single-channel right instead).

[Blocked Image: http://img.zdnet.com/techDirectory/TRRS.GIF]

So if you're using a TRS, switch to a standard guitar cable.

Secondly, when using the front input, does the "output" light illuminate when you play? You mentioned the "input" light, but not the "output" light.

Guitars: Parker Fly Mojo Flame, Ibanez RG7620 7-string, Legator Ninja 8-string, Fender Strat & Tele, Breedlove Pro C25
    Pedalboard: Templeboards Trio 43, Mission VM-1, Morley Bad Horsie, RJM Mini Effect Gizmo, 6 Degrees FX Sally Drive, Foxpedals The City, Addrock Ol' Yeller, RJM MMGT/22, Mission RJM EP-1, Strymon Timeline + BigSky
    Stack: Furman PL-Plus C, Kemper Rack

• Hi dougc84

As per my post to you "with the guitar plugged into the front input jack the output and input light does not illuminate and i dont hear the rig"
    so no, its not registering any activity from the input jack.
    Interesting about the TRS/TS jacks. Ive been using this set up for 6 years running it thru an Axefx, pod hd500x, various VOX and digitech products and never had an issue using the existing cabling. Anyway I appreciate you trying to help me Thanks

• Can you explain to noobs like me, why a guitar wants to play with a TRS cable?
    Is this a special guitar?
    Not sure, if this works with the input - never tried... Just have only one trs cable for the DVP3.
    It might work, depends on the input jack...
    As it works with the alternate input, there might be a different jack there... But I guess the alternative input is also mono... Sounds weird to me...