UPDATED/FIXED New owner - no sound when using front input please help

• Hi Kempermaniac

I think the true test is when i disconnect the monitors completely from the unit and use headphones:
    if i change the input in the software to alternate, run the guitar cable into the alternate input - i get the sound of the rig
    if i change the input in the software to front, insert a guitar cable in the front input - i get no sound from the rig
    I think the issue is a dead input jack at the front or maybe something deeper in the memory of the unit that is not registering correctly
    cheers

• I can confirm that TRS - XLR cables from the 1/4" jack sockets of the main outputs work perfectly fine.

There must be an hardware issue with the front input. How sickeningly unlucky. Hope you swiftly get a replacement sent out to you.

• HI sambrox

"I can confirm that TRS - XLR cables from the 1/4" jack sockets of the main outputs work perfectly fine"

Ive been doing this for years with other equipment with no issue, cant help bad luck I guess...

• Ok, let's sum a few things up:

1. Front input is TS unbalanced
    2. Alternative input is TRS balanced
    3. Main Outs are XLR balanced or TS unbalanced

I can't argue technically but I have the strong feeling that your issue has to do with the TRS-XLR cables from the main outs to your monitors and some kind of circuit between the front/alternative input, the used cables und the main outs. I'd simply buy or borrow two TS-XLR cables and see what happens.

I don´t think that the output section of the KPA has anything to do with this. As OP stated, the alternative input is working fine. So in my eyes it is clearly a defective front input.

I don´t even think that there is anything wrong configured, as the front input is normally even working when rear input is selected as input source.

@Aussiejoe Maybe you contact your dealer parallel to the Kemper support and ask how fast they could provide a replacement. Until you get an solution, you can use the rear input. So you can at least use your wonderful new piece of gear ;)

• Yeah, I think, at this point, now that we understand what cabling you're using, it's definitely an issue with the unit. Try a hard reset first (see @Aussiejoe's post), but more than likely it's a hardware issue, like others have said. It sounds like you may have gotten one that has a bad A/D converter. Unfortunately, that can happen with any piece of electronic gear - it may have left the factory fine, but a connection somewhere along the way just got loose or damaged, probably during shipping by someone that just chucked the box with no regard for its contents. If your dealer won't help you in a timely manner, Kemper Support certainly will.

Guitars: Parker Fly Mojo Flame, Ibanez RG7620 7-string, Legator Ninja 8-string, Fender Strat & Tele, Breedlove Pro C25
    Pedalboard: Templeboards Trio 43, Mission VM-1, Morley Bad Horsie, RJM Mini Effect Gizmo, 6 Degrees FX Sally Drive, Foxpedals The City, Addrock Ol' Yeller, RJM MMGT/22, Mission RJM EP-1, Strymon Timeline + BigSky
    Stack: Furman PL-Plus C, Kemper Rack

• are you sure the noise gate is not on maximum
    if so turn it to the left completely
    try again

maybee silly but it could be

• The frustration is that these things are pretty rare in Australia, the retailer I bought from only had a head and a rack and thats all.
    BTW - my units build date is December 2014 (I bought it new yesterday) so they dont sell many here.

Im in Sydney a city of about 4 million people and we have 2 retailers of Kemper equipment, thats it.
    The distributor is in Melbourne 600 miles away.

... and ironically 10 minutes from my house; I've known the owner for 20 years. Mind you, I still had to wait months for mine to arrive!

Aussies are very poorly served when it comes to music gearcheers

Folks, we here Down Under have learned to assume the worst in this regard... 'cause it's true. Ask any audio Aussie!

• Hi all,

just an update on my Kemper front input issue.
    Unit went back to the distributor, turns out it was an unseated/improperly seated internal connector that was the issue.
    The distributor has had a couple of these come in to them (not just me) with this issue apparently
    Kemper back and working well
    Firmware updated, rig manager working, all is right with the world, bought some MBritt rigs to load up as well.
    now, to plow thru 400 rigs and cull......

thanks for all the input and suggestions
    cheers