Re-uploading rigs to RE

• Hi all,

Just wanted to clarify the rules regarding re-uploading rigs to the RE.

If I download a rig from someone else off RE (or based on a bought commercial rig that I own) tweak it to my preferences, can I then upload it for others to use?
    Im not trying to claim credit for the original rig or anything like that, I just want to share my tweaked rigs that other folks might appreciate

Cheers

• I'm afraid you cannot share commercial or other people rigs :
    "Terms and conditions
    By uploading a public rig, you grant Kemper Amps the right to offer
    this profile to all members of the Kemper Profiler community. You also
    grant others the right to use your uploaded profiles without
    restrictions. Others can pass your profiles on but cannot sell them in
    any way. By uploading a private rig, only you can access this particular
    rig and nobody else can see or download it.

You must be the original author of the rig and profile, in other words,
    please do not upload other people's work.
    Even though we do not limit
    the amount of rigs you can upload, please be considered and only share
    strong and quality creations. We reserve the right to reject a rig and
    modify it in order to increase its usability for other users.

"

• The rule of thumb is if you bought the original rig, don't upload it. Most paid rigs include a Readme file included, or the issuer has their terms stated on their web page. All of them state that you cannot redistribute the rig. Theoretically, Kemper doesn't have any DRM on the profiles, so you can technically upload whatever you want. But you're screwing over the people that spend lots of time building these great amp profiles by uploading them to the Rig Exchange. I dunno what kind of legal action someone could invoke for this, but better to be safe than sorry.

If you paid nothing for it, it's nice to leave the original author of the rig listed somewhere, but not mandatory (though a dick move if you don't give them props). However, I'm not sure what the "official" TOS states.

Guitars: Parker Fly Mojo Flame, Ibanez RG7620 7-string, Legator Ninja 8-string, Fender Strat & Tele, Breedlove Pro C25
    Pedalboard: Templeboards Trio 43, Mission VM-1, Morley Bad Horsie, RJM Mini Effect Gizmo, 6 Degrees FX Sally Drive, Foxpedals The City, Addrock Ol' Yeller, RJM MMGT/22, Mission RJM EP-1, Strymon Timeline + BigSky
    Stack: Furman PL-Plus C, Kemper Rack

• I think @DamienGreda nailed it in better legalese that I could state.

Guitars: Parker Fly Mojo Flame, Ibanez RG7620 7-string, Legator Ninja 8-string, Fender Strat & Tele, Breedlove Pro C25
    Pedalboard: Templeboards Trio 43, Mission VM-1, Morley Bad Horsie, RJM Mini Effect Gizmo, 6 Degrees FX Sally Drive, Foxpedals The City, Addrock Ol' Yeller, RJM MMGT/22, Mission RJM EP-1, Strymon Timeline + BigSky

• This makes me wonder if there would ever be the possibility of a "rig store." Hmm...

• Thanks for the replies

Its an interesting "intellectual property" rights situation I guess
    If i take someones rig and fundamentally change it (eq/amp parameters/effects etc) so that it does not sound exactly like the original rig, have a created a new rig?
    If I use MS Word to create a best selling novel do I owe Microsoft anything for providing the vehicle (software) allowing me to create the novel?
    Just blue skying....

• If i take someones rig and fundamentally change it (eq/amp parameters/effects etc) so that it does not sound exactly like the original rig, have a created a new rig?

that doesn't make it your rig. editing is different to creating. if you didn't make the profile used yourself, you shouldn't upload the rig to the exchange.
    gs

Get in touch with Profiler online support team here

• Thanks for the replies

Its an interesting "intellectual property" rights situation I guess
    If i take someones rig and fundamentally change it (eq/amp parameters/effects etc) so that it does not sound exactly like the original rig, have a created a new rig?
    If I use MS Word to create a best selling novel do I owe Microsoft anything for providing the vehicle (software) allowing me to create the novel?
    Just blue skying....

It's more like this - if you buy a book and change the names of all the places and characters, would it be OK to offer that as a free download? No. Same with profiles :)
    Or how about this: If you make an album with your own music and somebody applied some EQ and compression to it - would it be OK to offer that as a free download? again, No :)

I think it is generally more or less OK to tweak another persons profile taken from rig exchange and then upload that - as long as the original profile's creator is credited in the comments field (or is still tagged as his/her work in the author field). In reality, i goes against the Terms and Conditions, but some authors are fine with it. It is good form to ask them beforehand, though!!

• I think it is generally more or less OK to tweak another persons profile taken from rig exchange and then upload that - as long as the original profile's creator is credited in the comments field (or is still tagged as his/her work in the author field). In reality, i goes against the Terms and Conditions, but some authors are fine with it. It is good form to ask them beforehand, though!!

no, that's not okay. by uploading you agree to "You must be the original author of the rig and profile, in other words, please do not upload other people's work." - i know that there are rigs on the exchange which do not comply with that but still, since Aussiejoe asked, that's not okay with us.
    gs

• You can buy second KPA and make profile of the rig. Then you could upload it to conform to Kemper rules. But even in this scenario you have to fulfill conditions of use which were stated by the original author/seller. General rule is: If you bought the profile -> do not share it. If you want to make tweaked rig available to other users, there is still possibility to upload it to some file-sharing service (dropbox, etc) but still, original author should be credited.

• You can buy second KPA and make profile of the rig. Then you could upload it to conform to Kemper rules.

no. if you want to upload the rig, you have to be the original author. that means it was you who profiled the (original) amp - that's our rules. what you suggest is like re-sampling a sample.

buying a profiler grants you allowance to use the content, but it does not make you the author. and depending on the author's EULA it does not give you the right to pass it on when you sell Profiler. if someone feels that he want to share a rig elsewhere, our rules do not apply. peto is right - our mission is not to police the internet.
    but you should always consider that those how created the +6000 rigs on the exchange took a vast effort for our community. respect it and we all will see more great profiles in the future.
    gs

• Hi all,

I think Kemper have made it clear that they don't want anything other than "original author of the rig and profile" content on RE.
    That's cool, it's their site and I respect that.
    It's a shame though as I would like to upload stuff, not for my own self interest but to feel that I have given back to the community.
    At the moment I have downloaded just about every rig on RE and feel like I should give something back instead of just taking!
    I don't own amps anymore so I cant contribute under the Kemper rules.

To Michael_dk, you mentioned "if you buy a book and change the names of all the places and characters, would it be OK to offer that as a free download? No."
    That's an interesting point. If you think about it that's what the Kemper Profiler allows people to do.

For example, If I buy a readily available amp (let's say a Fender Twin), profile it with a variety of settings and then offer it to Kemper users on RE for free is that ok?
    Clearly it is, but I have effectively removed/reduced the need for those users to go out a buy a Fender Twin to get those tones.

There are many instances of products which are the "inspiration" for subsequent products; how many Fender Strat copies by other manufacturers exist with small variances (but are clearly based on the Strat), how many clone/copied Marshall or Fender amps exist quite happily within international copyright/intellectual property rights laws.

Anyway, it's all good!
    cheers

• You could always profile something (like vst amp sim on PC) and add the settings or the effects - And post on RE or forum with info with what rig or profile use this settings:)

no. if you want to upload the rig, you have to be the original author. that means it was you who profiled the (original) amp - that's our rules. what you suggest is like re-sampling a sample.

buying a profiler grants you allowance to use the content, but it does not make you the author. and depending on the author's EULA it does not give you the right to pass it on when you sell Profiler. if someone feels that he want to share a rig elsewhere, our rules do not apply. peto is right - our mission is not to police the internet.
    but you should always consider that those how created the +6000 rigs on the exchange took a vast effort for our community. respect it and we all will see more great profiles in the future.
    gs

@G String did you In KEMPER GMBH considered RE sharing of the presets only for the rigs(only the parameters- not the content)?

In other words - just an option to exclude AMP and CAB blobs and tags from kipr file.

• no. if you want to upload the rig, you have to be the original author. that means it was you who profiled the (original) amp - that's our rules. what you suggest is like re-sampling a sample.

To be clear, I respect IP and RE rules. It's your playground, you make the rules. :) But if you mean it this way, it should be stated in the terms of use more clear. That you won't accept profiles of KPA.
    Now in the RE terms I read: You must be the original author of the rig and profile. That means to me, that you shall not upload profiles, which were not made by you. And if you profile sound of tweaked KPA, the resulting profile is your creation and you are the original author of that profile. Honestly I don't see any difference between profiling real/original amp or KPA in sense of producing a sound. :)

• To be clear, I respect IP and RE rules. It's your playground, you make the rules. :) But if you mean it this way, it should be stated in the terms of use more clear. That you won't accept profiles of KPA.
    Now in the RE terms I read: You must be the original author of the rig and profile. That means to me, that you shall not upload profiles, which were not made by you. And if you profile sound of tweaked KPA, the resulting profile is your creation and you are the original author of that profile. Honestly I don't see any difference between profiling real/original amp or KPA in sense of producing a sound. :)

This would not, in my opinion (i.e. how I interpret the written word), constitute being the ORIGINAL author of the rig and profile, though :)