Studio Profile-->DIrect Profile Question for use with Guitar Cab

• Hi. Please forgive me if this is a stupid question but I could not find an answer after searching through the forums. I am a previous Kemper owner who may jump back in.

My preference has been to play through a guitar cab vs. a monitor. I just like the way a cabinet feels and sounds. If I'm reading things correctly Direct Profiles appear to get me what I want to leverage my guitar cabs vs. using a Studio Profile and turning off the cabinet function. Or, I could use Merged profile and turn off the cabinet option there I assume since the amp and cab are separated.

I have some of my old commerical studio profiles and I am wondering if there is there a way to convert them into Direct Profiles with 3.x? Or, am I misunderstanding which type of profile is best to use to get me to the best place with a guitar cab. Thanks.

Mike

• You are correct in your thinking of Studio versus Direct Amp profiles, but unfortunately there's no way of converting Studio profiles into DA/Merged profiles after the fact (at least, not accurately). The Studio and Direct Amp profiles have to be made in the same profiling session, using the same settings on the amp with the same cab connected via the DI box

• I find that a great studio profile sounds great with the cab bypassed and run out to a speaker. Generally I find them more pleasing that DI or merged profiles but that's a personal preference. I've tried a fair few DI profiles and they seem to be missing some highs and lows when running back through the powerhead.

• Thanks everyone. I guess I'm struggling with my options. So much has changed since I had my Kemper unit!! I have a great 4x10 Two-Rock cabinet with Weber NeoMag speakers which, in general, are neutral speakers. It is just such a great sounding cab with almost every amp I have. I also still have my non-powered Atomic CLR. I previously missed the cabinet feel with the Atomic CLR but perhaps that goes away with the new PureCab feature.

To provide a bit more information I do still have a number of commerical profiles I purchased from The Amp Factory. All of this was before Rig Manager was available. Are those profiles studio profiles where I could not convert them into direct profiles anyway? (Or how do I tell??)

I guess my options are to

1. Use my non powered Atomic CLR with the new PureCab feature to see if that addresses my previous concerns.
    2. Try my 4x10 cab with the profiles I have and create and find some direct profiles

Or if I am missing something I am open to ideas. Thanks for your help everyone!