Lockin tuners - Gotoh HAPM direct replacement for VIntage Kluson?

• I replaced my vintage tuners on a 2012 LP Trad with 502C Grovers and they even fit the bottom hole. No need to route the through hole or create a new screw hole. Holds tune better too.

Issues involved:
    1) Tuner route hole may need to be enlarged
    2) New screw hole may need to be drilled
    3) Pole height mights be too short or too long (making the string angle too shallow)

So research these things.

This locking tuner you are looking at is similar to my Music Man's tuners and are easy to string up. Great mechanism. Easier than the Gotoh locking I recently bought (where an internal part descends by turning the head so the hole opens to put the strings through, then seals to clamp it) or the PRS ones which are a PIA because they require 2 bends in tight spaces guarantees to pierce your fingers if you aren't careful, and slip like hell even if you are.

• THis guitar I'm putting this in is so altered already... a few extra holes will do no harm :)
    (it's a 97 YJM Strat modded to death... you could not imagine what I have done to this guitar already)

• If it does need hole routing, there is a special tool for it that I would have a luthier do if you don't want to buy it. Otherwise your tuners can wobble and cause tuning issues. You want a tight hold around the tuner.

It's not easy to route a screw hole as you think. "Screw it up" is a literal term!

Pole height may be more critical for the two bass strings. You can String Tee up the other 4 if the break height is incorrect. Just juice those T's up with petroleum jelly or nut sauce or nose grease or something! ;)

IF you are really modding the crap out of it, how about a nut with rollers!

• yes currently I'm using those black TUSQ nuts which are great and slippery. Roller nuts might improve the tuning stability further.
    As for the keys, you're right - I will have a pro do it if these are not a direct fit.