Recording directly with PA

• Hi how are you?

Question

I've been doing the whole Mic setup thing but it takes a lot of time to get it right. My room also isn't setup up right acoustically for that so I wanted to know how to record the Guitar signal to the PC.

My current setup is this:

Guitar --> Kemper (non PA version) --> Koch ATR 4502 PA --> ENGL Pro cab --> Shure SM57 --> Line 6 UX2 --> PC (windows)

I just need to now how to replace the ENG cab with my PC so that from there I can record it in my DAW, Reaper, and still have the effects of the PA.

Thank you

• My current setup is this:
    Guitar --> Kemper (non PA version) --> Koch ATR 4502 PA --> ENGL Pro cab --> Shure SM57 --> Line 6 UX2 --> PC (windows)
    I just need to now how to replace the ENG cab with my PC so that from there I can record it in my DAW, Reaper, and still have the effects of the PA.

Welcome. Best for recording is to go out of the main out into your UX2. Set main out to master mono.

• Awesome thanks for the reply. Just one thing though, forgot to mention that I'm using KRK VXT 6 Studio monitors which are powered and I've heard something about not using powered monitors with a PA like the Koch I use?

• Awesome thanks for the reply. Just one thing though, forgot to mention that I'm using KRK VXT 6 Studio monitors which are powered and I've heard something about not using powered monitors with a PA like the Koch I use?

Of course you must not connect your KRK's to your Koch poweramp.
    For a recording scenario hook the KRK's to your computer anyway.
    You don't need any poweramp for that.
    In fact you only need the poweramp when you want to drive your Engl cab.

• Guitar --> Kemper (non PA version) --> Koch ATR 4502 PA --> ENGL Pro cab --> Shure SM57 --> Line 6 UX2 --> PC (windows)

It's easy to go from your setup to a direct connection: just unplug the XLR cable from your microphone and plug it into one of the Main Outputs of your Kemper. :) Skip the rest.

Guitar --> Kemper (non PA version) --> Line 6 UX2 --> PC (windows)

This is what the Kemper was made to do and what makes it so convenient in acoustically imperfect conditions. Set Main Out to "master mono" in the output settings, like Ingolf said. Leave your studio monitors the way I assume they are now: hooked up to your computer through your Line 6 interface. Nothing to worry about there.

Of course, instead of your own cab and mic setup, you'll now be recording the cab and mic setup that is part of the profile, so it may sound a little different. You can try cabs from other profiles (press the "cabinet" button, then turn the "browse" knob) until you find one that's close to your own miking style.

If you like to still use your cab to monitor your playing while recording, you can leave the PA and cab connected to the Kemper's Monitor Output. Just remember that what will actually be recorded will sound a little different, like I said above. Alternatively, you can disconnect the PA/cab and just monitor the sound that comes into your interface/PC.

Edit: I just noticed that you mentioned you wanted to keep your PA in the chain to use its effects. Not sure about the connection PA --> Line 6 interface, but wouldn't it be easier to use the Kemper's built-in effects, or if you're talking about EQ/delay/reverb, to add those in your DAW?

• Well that was a lot easier than I thought :D I used my XLR cable, did a quick test in Reaper, works!! Thanks.

And yes Ingolf thats the PA I'm using :) . What I mean is this. I've been using software like Guitar Rig from the beginning and I've noticed that it doesnt have the high chimes and roaring lows of a Cab+PA with Tubes....
    So this one day I managed to connect my Koch to my UX2 and all my presets in Guitar Rig sounded a lot closer to the "real" thing.

Guitar --> UX2-->Guitar Rig-->KRK
    ^
    ^
    Koch

Like this. Don't know much about the technical side of these things so I may have done something very....noobish, but hey :P

• How do you like that Koch poweramp? A buddy of mine is thinking to pick one up to power his KPA :)

MJT Strats / PRS Guitars / Many DIY Guitars -- Kemper Profiler Rack / Kemper Remote / InEar