Beware Profile Danger

• After reading about the official statement - NOT to use a Hexeditor to edit eg the profile names - I am shocked!

Not that I wanted to change my profiles with a hexeditor - but that editing a profile - and then using it chould render the KPA useless!

Why one earth is there no checksum in the files?
    This would be one of the first things to be found during beta testing!

So beware if you get a profile from someone and he/she had edited it with a hexeditor before - this thing could blow your Kemper Amp!

Another danger ist that someone spread a "wanted profile" to harm a lot of KPA units!

Is there somewhere a list of all stock profiles? I want to erase all downloaded profiles until this problem is fixed!

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

Great Profiles --> soundside.de

Edited 4 times, last by Armin ().

• Don't panic, I have all available profiles to date, used them all, and no problem. The only profiles that have been shared by Rafport are the Bogner Alchemist ones

This issue is BTW by no extent a "Virus", is not replicating itself to other profiles or whatsoever, it is just a corrupted file that is creating problems.

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• Btw... I did that hex editor edit too.
    Without having any problems.

MJT Strats / PRS Guitars / Many DIY Guitars -- Kemper Profiler Rack / Kemper Remote / InEar

• Btw... I did that hex editor edit too.
    Without having any problems.

I've also been changing profile names on my PC...(though I've been using the good old "rename" function from Windows). No issues

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

This issue is BTW by no extent a "Virus", is not replicating itself to other profiles or whatsoever, it is just a corrupted file that is creating problems.

Yes, you are right - I changed the title - it's not a virus.

But if one corrupted profile could spoil the KPA - then it's very dangerous in both cases:
    a) Someone shares this profile (or bundles of profiles) without the knowledge that someone has changed one or more of his profiles this way
    b) Someone spread corrupted profiles to harm others (this is the idea of viruses btw)

So all I want is:
    1) All profiles must have a checksum to prevent editing them.
    Or even better as I suggested in another post:
    Make the profiles XML with some editable parts (like names) and some encrypted and checksum protected parts for the simulation stuff

2) I have downloaded a lot of profiles and got some bundles from other users - and am now afraid that they can harm my KPA - so I want a list of the stock profiles.
    Then I'll reset my KPA and install my own profiles in addition and am fine - until this thing is fixed.

3) As some posts above - a LOT of users have changed their profiles with a hex-editor yet.
    So we need to know what could lead to this crashes.
    Maybe the danger happens only after editing certain parameters of such a profile or whatever!

(All trademarks are trademarks of their respective owners, which are in no way associated or affiliated with soundside.de)

• I'm sure it is not a big prob, as I loaded the profiles in question as well and have zero problems yet (knocking on wood!).

But we really need an *official response* for these concearns.

• As some posts above - a LOT of users have changed their profiles with a hex-editor yet.

Actually I think that a LOT of users don't even know what a hex editor or a hex number is :D

MJT Strats / PRS Guitars / Many DIY Guitars -- Kemper Profiler Rack / Kemper Remote / InEar

• Maybe the danger happens only after editing certain parameters of such a profile or whatever!

Or maybe have nothing to do with that...reality is that we don't know. All what we have is 1 user with not yet identified problem that possibly is coming from editing a profile with a Hex editor, and please note that the admin is saying: "not even to change the Name of the Profile", not that changing the name has caused the crash (very unlikely, IMHO), possibly he has edited parametrs or cab or whatsoever and used a wrong format...you can easily do that in windows as well if you make a mistake editing an .info or .sys or .dll file

• It's NOT the tool for the average guitar player - they play tube amps (like me) ;)

Nobody without at least basic computer knowledge can load, upload and share profiles - and read/write the forum...

Even L6 put MD5 checksum's in their stuff ;)

• I am not this kind of panic guy, but this is a real showstopper for every live player as long as no official solution will be published.

And why is the link to the obviously damaged profiles still active?

• And why is the link to the obviously damaged profiles still active?

I have played that profile and am fine. Is only "a" profile from the guy that had the problem, not an obviously damaged one.