Remote turns off with patchpanel ethernet connection

• Hello Community,

For easier Connection, I recently built a patchpanel for the different Kemper plugs. For the Ethernet Connection I bought this adapter:

https://m.thomann.de/de/neutrik_ne8_fdx_p6.htm

I plugged a Standard Ethercon cable (from my Router, 1 m length) into the rj45 Adapter and from there I used the Original Remote RJ45 cable for the Connection to the Remote.

When I use this Setup, the Remote Suddenly turns off while working with it (most at changing Profiles) and sometimes stays offline beside checking the Connection to the profiler..

When I go directly from the Kemper out into the Remote with the Original cable it just works fine...

Do you have a clue what could be wrong?
    Do I have to note Something concerning the Patch cable from kemper to patchpanel of the rj45 adapter itself?

Thanks in advance!

• Some ethernet cables used for routers are 4 core. I'm pretty sure that the remote requires an 8 core cable. Check the one you're using and if it's only a 4 core change it for an 8 core and you should be good to go!

• Some ethernet cables used for routers are 4 core. I'm pretty sure that the remote requires an 8 core cable. Check the one you're using and if it's only a 4 core change it for an 8 core and you should be good to go!

Ethernet cables are ALWAYS 8-core. If not, it isn't ethernet!!

Cat.6 for Kemper is over the top.

Just buy a new Cat.5 patchcable and you'll be fine.

• Yes, both will do the job.
    I've had the same issue a month ago but for me it wasn't the patchcable, it was the main cable from Ethercon connection to Remote. Strange thing was that when I tested this cable with my LAN-tester all wires were OK. But as soon as I plugged it in between Rack and Remote, the Remote initially started up and after a few moments it died. New cable - problem solved.

• Just tested the line up with another ehternet cable I had at home. On this one the cable said "cat5e". When I connected the remote with the kemper directly with this cat5e cable, the remote just started normally without problems several times. So I used this new cable as a patch cable between the kemper and my patchpanel with the neutrik adapter and plugged the orginal remote cable into the front bay of the patchpanel - AAAND: sometimes the remote starts normally, sometimes it died while starting up, as you mentioned DML. I just thought it could have been the initial patch cable I used, because directly connecting the kemper with the remote with this cable shows up the known problems, the functionality with the new cable directly connected was normal..
    Very strange...

• Here's some details about the connector. Does this look right?

"D-shape CAT6A panel connector, shielded, feedthrough, Nickel housing
    Attention! Does not intermate with CAT6 cable connector NE8MC6-MO and NKE6S* cables.

Features & Benefits

• Ruggedized connector with CAT6A component compliance according to ISO/IEC 11801 and TIA/EIA 568-C.2
    • PoE+ compliant according to 802.3at Type2
    • Rugged latch lock system million fold proven
    • Intermateable with the existing etherCON CAT5 range
    • Shielded system - high noise immunity and EMI protection

[Blocked Image: http://www.neutrik.com/website/uploads/images/04/420x/ne8fdx-p6.jpg?v=1]

• Just tested the line up with another ehternet cable I had at home. On this one the cable said "cat5e". When I connected the remote with the kemper............... to ............ directly connecting the kemper with the remote with this cable shows up the known problems, the functionality with the new cable directly connected was normal..
    Very strange...

As far as I understand you have had in the situation above the original Kemper cable between connection and Remote and another cable between Kemper and connection.
    How long is the Total cable length? Because if it exceeds 10 meter, you will have the same issues as described before.
    Kemper's advise is in this kind of situations to use a PoE switch.

• Furthermore check the diameter of the cores, you can find this on most cables on the cable itself, it is printed i.e. "UTP Category 5 AWG24....... and so on".
    It's about the number after "AWG". How lower the number, the thicker the cores are. So a AWG22 has thicker cores than a AWG24.
    If you're using for instance a AWG26 (most unlikely), you better get rid of that cable :)

• @Finally Yeah, this is the one I got!

alright, just read the reference manual page 130.
    The Kemper Remote Cable itself already has a length of 7,5m at AWG24. If i understand correctly, the maximum possible length thus is reached, cuz AWG24 just supports lengths up to 7,5m?
    My patchcable is a CAT5e cable with AWG26 ;) So the only thing I can do without buying a PoE switch/injector is looking for an ethernet cable with a higher diameter for lower impedance?? I'm wondering how so many ppl jsut used a "normal" ethernet cable and do not have such issues... ?( I saw the normal neutrik adapter I bought on many pics here, so there was no need to buy PoE stuff. I'm confused :D

Edited once, last by gee121 ().

• OMG, you really have got AWG26!! I didn't know they would still be available in 2017. A normal/ standard quality, non-Alibaba Cat.5(e) is at least AWG24.

No, if you use one or more cables between Kemper and Remote, you must not exceed a total length of 10 meter (minimal AWG24).
    So if you are using the Kemper cable (7,5 m.), you can use another patchcable which has a length of 2,5 m. max, and is minimal AWG24.

Again, don't use AWG26 at all!!! Use AWG24 or lower. And in all cases: don't exceed a total length of 10 m.

• Thanks DML!
    Alibaba made my day :D

Any suggestions where I can get an angled to normal 1m AWG24 cable then? Searching for a good looking cable, but haven't found something yet. the linked cables above seem to be AWG27 :S

• Hey guys,

for those who might have had the same prob - I ordered an AWG24 - cable (not easy to find on amazon, but I found some good looking from Syncwire) which was delivered today. I tried that cable as a patchcable + the remote cable = 8,5m in total and for every booting sequence the remote control acted normally. The problem should be solved :) Thanks for your replies!