Questions regarding MIDI

• Hi folks,

about to buy a MIDI Controller so I'm digging deeper into the possibilities and trying to find what I actually need in such a device.

Some questions here in addition to the infos from the manual(s):

The rigs in Browse Mode are strictly in an alphanumeric order (Edit: In regards of the MIDI PC number), is that correct? So a Rig named something like 000 AAA would probably be programm No.1, 001 AAA No. 2 and so on. And the sorting will not change that PC number order, do I get this correct?

The manual says, each Rig (in Browse Mode) can be assigned to a specific PC number. So, looking at the Tech 21 MIDI Mongoose (diggin the size here), I can set Rig (say) 85 to be recalled on the PC number, the MIDI Mongoose sends on footswitch 1. Since the MIDI Mongoose is not really programmable, the KPA would let me use it in that manner nevertheless. Is that correct?

Also for Performance Mode I would need a programmable Controller because of the KPA Performance/Slot PC up/down configuration.

I also like the form factor of the One Control Gecko/Basilic. But when I get it correctly from their manuals, their concept is somewhat different as it is thinking in presets itself. It seems, the Gecko can only recall 20 own presets and therefore only recall 20 Rigs on the KPA (+ 8 individual Rigs in the KPA with any number from 1-128 in a second mode) Does anyone have experiences with those units? Would they work at least in Browse mode as described above?

By the way, so far the Rocktron MIDI Mate seems a good choice as it is as flexable as the Behringer FCB1010, comes without the Pedals though. It can send both PC and CC commands at the same time. Other than that the MIDI Grande seems to deliever all one could need. Reasonable price, too.

Thank you guys in advance.
    Alex

Gear: Strats & KPA. Plug Ins: Cubase, NI, iZotope, Slate, XLN, Spectrasonics.
    Music: Song from my former band: vimeo.com/10419626[/media][/media][/media] Something new on the way...

Edited 2 times, last by Fireloogie ().

• Alphanumerical sorting is just one of several options. If you chose to sort by gain the order will be different.
    The slots in perform mode have fixed assignments for program changes.

I didn't put my question correctly, sry. I am aware that the order within the Browse Mode will change by sorting, but does this have an impact on the PC number a Rig is recalled upon?

For instance:

• Alphanumerical sorting > MIDI command PC 1 on MIDI controller (or whatever number it is) > Rig 1 is recalled.
    • Gain sorting > MIDI command PC 1 on MIDI controller > Rig with lowest gain is recalled?

As far as I understood the manual, this will not be the case, since the Rig itself is assigned to a specific number no matter what sorting is relevant at that point. The other way round it would mean, that I recall different Rigs with the same footswitch when I change the sorting within Browse Mode.

Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Music: Song from my former band: vimeo.com/10419626[/media][/media][/media] Something new on the way...

• The sorting has no influence on the MIDI program change number that you have assigned to a specific rig.

Got it. Thanks for responding that quickly.

• I have a similar question about MIDI. I'm currently using the Remote and happy with it to change the slots within a given performance. Obviously the Remote currently allows me to scroll up and down through Performances to select a bank of slots. However, I'm wondering if I could use something like the Tech 21 MIDI Mongoose to change to a specific Performance directly. For example, could I have button 1 on the Mongoose pull up Performance 1 bank, button 2 on the Mongoose pull up Performance 2 bank, etc. I don't really care if switching between Performance banks just stays on the currently selected Slot or always goes to Slot 1. Is that kind of thing possible with a simple MIDI controller like the Tech 21 MIDI Mongoose that can only send fixed program change messages? One of those would fit so nicely on my small pedalboard :)
    https://i.imgur.com/Sd7HhQu.jpg

Edited once, last by pwhe23 ().