Yo CK! Give us stomp profiling maaaaaaan!!! :D

• :D:D (Info: read topic subject with an imaginary Jamaican accent!) :D

Ok seriously, in light of recent events, it would be cool if we could profile some analog distortion boxes like vintage Rats, Tube Screamers, Bigg Muffs etc. and store them as "pedal profiles" instead of "amp profiles".

• The only problem I see is that they will have all the same generic controls (let's say: gain, tone, volume, mix) and will not reflect the originals....but if it works with the amp part (lot more complex) it should work also with the pedals. Hope the DSP can run 2 profiles (pedal.amp) at the same time.

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• Yes, you're right. You won't have the characteristic "tone controls" of the original and the way they interact. I didn't even think of that.
    Hmmmmm... maybe if the "profile morphing" thing will ever be possible or available, it would increase the attractivity of a "stomp pedal"-profiling possibility.

• These distortion pedals are all modeled in the stomp section.
    No need to profile them.

And actually you can profile most other distortion pedals, best in combination with your amp.
    Have you tried it?

CK

• And actually you can profile most other distortion pedals, best in combination with your amp.

Yes, I see that. I think the point of my post was to be able to profile any distortion pedal and put it in the stomp section. The point is moot however, as you'd only be profiling one setting of said pedal - so I guess you're right - it's best to do it in combination with the amp.

• Mr. Kemper, i see your point and I think the included stomps are really well done but...

1). I think many of us bond with our pedals and their little nuances over time just like the amps that we profile.

2) There would be a huge value in being able to perfectly set up a stacked signal chain, profile it and then twiddle the knobs to get another perfect pedal stack and then be able to have them all on command without having to remember how you set it up before. Ex. Strymon compressor in treble boost mode pushing strong into G2 clone into SHO vs Strymon comp in flat boost mode lightly pushing into COT, etc. No more frustration in trying to remember what worked best.

3) No more unplugging and rearranging pedals to switch the order of things - You like your Timmy into your Klon and your Klon into your Timmy... profile them both ways and presto.

3). Mobility - I could essentially leave most of stomp boxes at home.

I hope you don't close the book on this suggestion.

Love my KPA nonetheless!

"Tone is in the fingers" is not a necessary response to anything that I might type on any internet forum threads. Thank you.

• You can actually profile most distortion pedals. Make your profiles in combination with your amps, and both will be combined into a new amp profile. There is only a few exceptions, mainly those pedales that are available as modeled stomps.

CK

• I successfully profiled my two tube distortion stomp pedals (Damage Control Liquid Blues and Solid Metal).
    So this should work I think. Put it would also be nice if we could just profile any pedal :D :D

Can you share how do you do that? Thx :D

• I'm sure this has been addressed, but can you put these in the stomp section of the kemper? Are they just considered amps when you load them? What's the deal?

All what is profiled is handled as an amp.

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• I tried to profile my Violet Ram's Head fuzz for a while. No matter what I did when it was in the chain the KPA told me there was too much gain. Very frustrating experience bu I'll try again tomorrow.

• I'm sure this has been addressed, but can you put these in the stomp section of the kemper? Are they just considered amps when you load them? What's the deal?

No, they are just like a profiled amp. I profiled the sound of my amp with the stomp box switched on and the Kemper captured the sound very good. Only if I turned on the compression section of the stomp the KPA couldn't reproduce it right, which is actually quite understandable. But I mean, you can add a compressor afterwards in the KPA also.

But sure, a dedicated functionality of profiling stomps would be really nice.

• I think that the reason why you can't save a distortion stompbox as a pedal is because the KPA's algorithm would not be able to manage a distortion stage in series with an amp not working in its fully linear range.

IOW, I believe you can't put a profiled distorsion box in front of a cranked up amp profile. In fact, factory distortion stomps are all modelled, not profiled.

This came to my mind when I recalled Kemper advise to have no more than one non-linear stage on-line when profiling a rig.

• I think that the reason why you can't save a distortion stompbox as a pedal is because the KPA's algorithm would not be able to manage a distortion stage in series with an amp not working is its fully linear range.

IOW, I believe you can't put a profiled distorsion box in front of a cranked up amp profile. In fact, factory distortion stomps are all modelled, not profiled.

This came to my mind when I recalled Kemper advise to have no more than one non-linear stage on-line when profiling a rig.

If that's the case then we need better ability to combine profiled elements. For example, if you want to get a good Gilmour sound you may have to combine three or more profiled elements. Without that flexibility, then I have to keep a pedalboard and that limits the KPA's usefulness (and cost savings) to me.

• I hear you, Hoth.
    Isn't it something you could achieve via an expanded set of stomps inside the KPA? I'm sure there will be more FX and more settings available within some time.

Technically speaking, I believe the KPA would need a separate engine for each non-linear sound source it replicates. I might be completely off here, but this would be coherent with what we know at the moment.

OTOH, no doubt that the KPA is unique in what it does and in the quality of its performance: should it be able to replicate the sound of just a couple high-class amps, it would anyway be a real bargain! I don't think it's expensive at all on the market. And, even a 5,000 $ boutique amp would need some FX to play Gilmour ;)