HELP! Something's not right

• Hello everyone, I bought a used Kemper (non-powered) last June, and I LOVE IT. I mainly want to use it for heavy metal and solo-esque stuff. I've played it mostly through my headphones, and everything sounds so amazing. I asked my friend who had done a lot of work with them of what cab I should get for it, and he recommended the Yamaha DRX10, which I ended up getting. I also wanted to find a way to run it through my regular cabs (Marshall 1960A and Mesa Boogie), and a different guy in a music store recommended the Behringer iNuke 3000. I ended up getting that too. Now I don't get to play out of the cabs/PA speaker that often, but I've noticed that when I do, it sounds VERY different then when I'm using the headphones. Now before I get attacked for things like the "cabs changing the color/tone of the sound," - yes, I am aware. But to me it sounds much different than that. It sounds like there's almost no low end of some of the profiles (and I have basically an 80s And Justice For All tone through the headphones), and that something isn't on the right settings, or going through the in/out. Because I got it used, and haven't really reset it, I'm worried that I've been running it with the wrong settings this entire time, and I'm afraid of damaging the kemper/cabs. Also, another friend told me that when I'm playing through cabs/PA's to turn off the Cabinet Emulation. This helped a little bit, but it's not the entire problem.

I'm open to all answers, advice, and suggestions. This thing sounds amazing, and I want to be able to use it for gigs, but it just doesn't sound better or heavier than my regular Head/Cab options that I already have. I've seen too many youtube videos and read too many reviews to know that something's just gotta be off.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Also, I'm very sorry if this is in the wrong section, or if there's a specific thread for this. I haven't used a forum in like 10 years. THANKS

• Welcome! Are you using the monitor out > DXR10 with the CabSim on and playing with the volume up to near gig levels? I would experiment with the DXR10 first to get (near) what you heard from headphones. There will be a considerable difference since the DXR isn't wrapped around your head, therefore turn it up and take into consideration the room your in for loss of that heavier feeling your looking for.

• Welcome! Are you using the monitor out > DXR10 with the CabSim on and playing with the volume up to near gig levels? I would experiment with the DXR10 first to get (near) what you heard from headphones. There will be a considerable difference since the DXR isn't wrapped around your head, therefore turn it up and take into consideration the room your in for loss of that heavier feeling your looking for.

Hey Zapman, should I set the volume on the Kemper first? or the DXR10 first? Like should I turn the volume up on the DXR10 in the back first, until it's gig level, and then use the Kemper's volume to fine tune the Volume/EQ? Or vice versa? (You know how amps sound way better when they're around 3 or 4, and then after 7 it doesn't sound as good?)

Thanks! :)

• Different views on that, you turn the rig you like up to 3/4 on the master out and then bring the DXR up to gig level which would leave some headroom on both sides of the volume. That DXR can get really loud. For one you won't hurt the KPA in any way and you should hurt your hearing before the DXR even gets close to max. Also read up on what outputs are linked to the master out, so you understand which outputs you're raising / lowering when you dial the master volume. They are in the output settings. I'm sure you've seen it already but that is where you set the base volume for your outputs like headphone, spdif, monitor out, etc. (Output Settings).

Edited once, last by Zapman ().

• Also, another friend told me that when I'm playing through cabs/PA's to turn off the Cabinet Emulation.

In general, Cab Sim should be on for everything except when playing through an actual guitar cabinet.

Oh, and welcome to the forum :thumbup:

Go for it now. The future is promised to no one. - Wayne Dyer