Clicks/Pops with SPDIF and Direct Out

• Hey,

My kemper just got here today and I've got it running through a Focusrite Scarlett 6i6. Seems to be a common problem, but haven't found a solution that works yet.

I first tried the SPDIF routing. There would be a pop every 2-3 seconds. Focusrite mixer was set to 44.1khz w/SPDIF selected. I saw in another thread that higher quality cables may solve this. I bought SPDIF cables from a music store today so I don't think cable quality is the issue. And because I'm getting more pops on the Direct Out, my guess is it's the kemper.

The direct out has a quieter pop than the spdif, but is a consistent pulse. Even when I'm not playing, it's popping. The main outputs work properly.

Do you guys have any ideas I could try, or is there a thread where these were issues were solved? I haven't contacted support yet. Figured I'd ask here first.

• Have you set the clock to SPDIF in the Focusrite software? The Kemper must be the master for the clock. If your Focusrite software has the clock set to ‘internal’, this will cause exactly the problem you describe. Set it to SPDIF.

Failing that, it’s likely to be buffer settings in the software / your DAW but if you’re spdif connecting then the above is your first thing to try imo.

• Similar/related question regarding live use:

Would running into a live desk via the digital output require the desk to follow the kpa as the master-clock?
    Or would the desk happily run on its own internal clock if the kpa was running at the same sample rate?

In my limited experience of this kind of situation, when the receiving device is the master-clock, some clicks and pops occasionally arise, perhaps due to digital misreads.

My concern is that if the kpa is the master-clock and the cable gets pulled out or the kpa goes offline the mixing desk will halt due to losing its clock and have a far greater impact on the desk and loss of foh audio.

• Have you set the clock to SPDIF in the Focusrite software? The Kemper must be the master for the clock. If your Focusrite software has the clock set to ‘internal’, this will cause exactly the problem you describe. Set it to SPDIF.

Failing that, it’s likely to be buffer settings in the software / your DAW but if you’re spdif connecting then the above is your first thing to try imo.

Came here for this issue. This fixed it. Thanks!