Studio vs. Merged through FRFR's (XLR or 1/4") questions

• So, I'm interested in buying Cililab's JVM pack and see that they are all merged & direct profiles. I've seen some discussion about studio profiles sounding better than merged and this may be the result of how it was captured/profiled. But, also, people say that if no changes were made, it should sound the same.

I've also read this from topjimi's page:

"Studio profiles include the amplifier, speaker, microphone and anything else used to make the profiles. The same signal is output to all of the Kemper outputs.

A Merged profile has two types of outputs. The main XLR outputs from the Kemper are the same as for the Studio profiles. The other outputs effectively break the signal between the amplifier and the speaker. This allows you to use a traditional guitar speaker cab. One scenario where you would use a Merged profile would be if you wanted to use a traditional guitar cab as a stage monitor while sending the Studio profile sound to the PA."

I'm not playing live, through a cab or recording, just using the kemper at home. If I bought this pack of merged files, or any other pack of merged profiles, will I get the mic'd sound like a studio profile via only xlr out? Will I not get that via direct/monitor 1/4"?

I'm new to this & getting confused. So if it sounds like I'm confused, I am. But, I think I understand the difference between the studio & merged and the extra step involved. It's more what will I get output wise that's confusing me. Thanks for the help.

• Merged profiles should sound the same as their studio profiles if no settings were changed during the profiling. So if you purchase the merged profiles, that should be the mic'ed Studio Profile sound when the cab section is turned on.

You can then turn the cab off in the monitor output and send that to a regular guitar cab if you chose.

Creating merged profiles allows the Kemper to take the guesswork out of what is the sound of the amp and what is the sound of the cab that was used to profile. Hope that helps out.

• Well, right now I'm using my monitor out & direct send as a stereo output. I know I can disable the cab section to run through a guitar cab but, won't be doing that.

I'd like to run the merged profile as a studio profile, through my current setup to frfr's. Based on the quoted portion of topjimi's page, I am confused.

His statement makes it sound as if you will get the studio profile from the main xlr outputs but, not others. Since I'm not using the xlr's, will I get the studio profile through 1/4 direct send/monitor out? If I need to get XLR cables & use the main xlr outs, no biggie.

This is where my confusion is coming from.