Squeaky notes / pick noise

• Hi,

Please listen to:

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I play with a 2.0m prodigy pick.

What's causing the squeaky noise?

Is it the specific Kemper profile used?

Other settings on the Kemper that should help with it?

Something that should be controlled in the DAW?

Thanks

• It won't let me listen but I know there are a couple of profiles that are very active upper midrangy & gainy that really amplify when I mute the strings hard in a way and it almost sounds like a click from a DAW that has too small a buffer size. At first I thought there was something wrong with the profile clipping or something but found that it only occurred on certain passages I played. It was my technique. When I play the same thing the same way on other profiles or amps you don't notice it but one certain profile (a paid one from a top profiler) is so live and just at the right frequency that it makes the way I mute particular passages jump out. Personally I kinda like to hear strings squeaking a little and I noticed some profiles making that more pronounced. There is a lot of finger sensitivity available on a Kemper to control. More than most amps. Like I said, I couldn't hear your clip but try another rig or maybe check the definition in the amp menu?

• It won't let me listen but I know there are a couple of profiles that are very active upper midrangy & gainy that really amplify when I mute the strings hard in a way and it almost sounds like a click from a DAW that has too small a buffer size. At first I thought there was something wrong with the profile clipping or something but found that it only occurred on certain passages I played. It was my technique. When I play the same thing the same way on other profiles or amps you don't notice it but one certain profile (a paid one from a top profiler) is so live and just at the right frequency that it makes the way I mute particular passages jump out. Personally I kinda like to hear strings squeaking a little and I noticed some profiles making that more pronounced. There is a lot of finger sensitivity available on a Kemper to control. More than most amps. Like I said, I couldn't hear your clip but try another rig or maybe check the definition in the amp menu?

Thanks I'll check that. I've edited the first post with SoundCloud now.
    Seems like G Drive is weird with audio files...

• I have found that, with high gain amps, you can get "pre- squeallies" if you attack the string with the pick at an angle instead of holding it totally perpendicular to the string. I will purposely attack at an angle to get that "pre-squeally" sound for some songs. To lesson the effect without changing your pick technique, try some Jazz III nylon picks, 1.38 I think. I use the XL size because the standards are tiny as heck. The nylons will deaden the sound of pick attack (great for recording). Tortex, Ultex, and Synthbone are very bright sounding that contribute to the sound you are getting.

Larry Mar @ Lonegun Studios. Neither one famous yet.

• You are correct. I use the (IMO best sounding) standard fender med. I hated them for years because after a few pickslides they became string ripper-outers. Nylon is fine and does remedy the problem ( and I use the max-grip live exclusively)a bit but it's mostly the way I play that certain passage and the way I mute it that creates the sound not the rig itself. I have a huge bag of picks I've tried in the past and for live I MUST have something with grip, but for recording, nothing sounds like the ol' fragile fender med. you go through them quick but they have that attack..... I hadn't used one in years then after trying one again recording I heard something familiar that I liked about the attack.

• Thanks, I'll check those picks, because it's probably due to my technique and pick selection.

Good to have that confirmed and that it's not something else..

I hold the pick at 45 degree angle which seems to cause more noise than parallel to the strings.

The pick itself - Ernie Ball mini prodigy 2.0, sure doesn't help for the noise..

I got used to this pick and it helped my playing so I don't think I'll change for all situations - maybe just for recording some solo parts.

That's where the main issue is.. Not when playing chords/rhythm.

• I think if your hand synchronization isn't in shape you'll attack the strings as you press them, and maybe even as you release them. This causes a weird semi harmonic thing going on, is that what you're talking about?

Solid tone btw

• Hi, Zenmaster.

Check out the Pick parameter.

It doesn't look like this is directly applicable to the squeak, but there's no harm in experimenting with this.

ST