Dream Theater, Ozzy, Metallica, Pantera, Megadeth, Slayer... Kemper profiles with eq tone match

• Some of his clone tones are close. I heard some really spot on tone matches with AFX2.

As I wrote earlier, all the profiles by SilentUndergroun­dStudio are not very spot on to me in dynamics or eq since the amp gear used when he's profiling isn't similar to what these bands used on the recordings. Much better and more accurate results can be achieved.

It's easy to do spot on eq tone matches of popular guitar tracks with the Kemper + Ozone.
    Dream Theater profile Ivan91 shared on the Rig Exchange.
    First original song, the kemper profiler.
    Dream Theater kemper profiling + eq tone matching A/B comparison, by Ivan91.

External Content soundcloud.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Just redo until satisfying results are reached. Capturing the eq curve with tone matching is not a difficult process.
    I find it great that the Kemper can do both real profiling and also include eq tone match.
    Although profiling with its ability to capture the dynamics, feel and sound of a real tube amp rig is a whole lot more impressive than just capturing the eq from a clip.
    I have fun using both methods with the KPA. :)

• Now that's deliciously ironic! I've heard a few recovering drunks on Fractal Kool-aid, stating that they were going to abandon the II and buy a Kemper based on these artist profiles now popping up. Hmmmm..... would you rather have a modeler or a profiler?!?!? (As an aside, did they not think a Profiling amp is going to be able to reproduce any guitar tone?!?)

"Heavy Metal does have a message for the rest of the world: Fuck You!" -Sebastian Bach

• Wow, those megadeth tones are sick! Damn near perfect if you ask me! My Kemper will be here this week and I cant wait to try these out!

Oh, yeah, I'm one of those Fractal kool-aid recovering drunks. :) In all honesty I haven't been that impressed with the tone matching on the AxeFxII. Some matches come up great and others close but fall short. I've tried alot and most matches always fall short. Maybe with more practice I could do them justice though. I think these clips from SilentUndergroundStudio far surpass any tone matches I've heard on the Axe, but thats just me. I'd love to know how these Megadeth, Metallica and Pantera tone matches are being done on the kemper though. It would be nice to to try out myself.

• Wow , these are very cool! Those Slayer clone tones came out great.

I'd really like to try this. I read and watched the vid from the KPA pdf file but I am still a bit lost as to how to make EQ matches on the Kemper.

From what I read it sounds like you have to have an actual amp when making the matches but in that video it looks like the person uses a software guitar amp simulator.

If you can use a guitar amp sim what would be recommended with use on the Kemper and Ozone. Could I use Guitar Rig? I have that. Also does it matter which guitar amp model you use or would any work? EQ matching seems like alot of fun if I could figure it out. :)

• If you use a real amp or profile an amp plugin doing this then make sure to use an amp very similar or same
    as the original song + Ozonone. SilentUndergroun­dStudio is using a real amp/cab but the results to me are not very spot on in dynamics or eq since the amp gear used when he's profiling isn't similar to what these bands used on the recordings. Much better and more accurate results can be achieved. What you see in the video is when he's playing and recording to the backing track.

tylerhb explains how to make profiles with Ozone in this thread I linked to on the first page:
    GUITAR -> KPA -> AMP -> CAB -> MIC -> DAW -> PLUGIN -> KPA Return.
    classic metal tones done with EQ matching
    Profiling with EQ matching plugins
    See also the tutorial videos linked on how to use Ozone.

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

External Content www.youtube.com

The only difference doing this with the KPA will be that you do not create an IR at the end but take a profile.

There are profiles uploaded here made from modelers and amp sims so profiling that way works too.
    Though most prefer real amp profiles, that is what the kpa was designed to do.

• The guy from silentundergroundstudio also posted the gear list in the video comments.
    He figures out the eq with software and then adjusts the eq with 2 x DBX 31-band eq's.
    So it's yet another creative way of getting great results with the Kemper profiling amp.
    quote from the Megadeth profile video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLZ9yLRPpYY
    "I use an MXR GT-OD pedal (as a boost) into an Orange Rockerverb Head
    through a Blackstar 4x12" Cabinet with Vintage 30 speakers Miced with a
    Shure SM57 and a Sennheiser MD421 into a Mackie Desk this then runs into
    2 x DBX 31-Band EQ's and back to the Kemper. I figure out the EQ
    settings via Frequency Analyser Software."

• This is indeed a very creative way of doing this, but compared to using ozone the matching results are not as precise. I already wondered how he did the profiles, cause some profiles were pretty close and others were not so. Ozone´s match eq uses about 8000!!! bands which are so narrow that you can recreate even the finest nuances. Under normal circumstances, such extreme eq settings will result in heavy phase issues. The Great thing is that the KPA doesnt care about this maybe becuase of the "snapshot" way of capturing. So even a heavy phasing signal can result in a perfect KPA profile.

In all cases, tonematching will only work 100% if you do it yourself for your own setup, with your own guitar and your own style of playing.

• Hi Tyler,

I cant post in the private area but was wondering if you could clarify this post I found that you made below. I really want to make some tone matches myself but I do not have an external amp. I do have an AxeFXII though. If I could use that could you explain how exactly I could make profiles with it? How do I connect it up etc. But I am thinking of going the route you described below. Am I correct on this process........

First capture the EQ of my reference guitar track in ozone, then save the EQ captured file.

Then I record a clip of me playing whatever I am profiling and save it.

Then I use a plugin to apply the ozone EQ file ontop of the track I just recorded and overwrite my clip with the tone matched EQ? Also I'm on a Mac. What plugin would allow me to import the EQ curve ontop of my recorded track?

After that I save the new track and it will be the new Tone matched file instead of the clip I played?

I thought you have to have an amp in there somewhere, a real amp or even a software based amp. Does this technique bypass the need for an amp? Seems you just record your reference tone with the Kemper right?

Thanks!

Quoted from "USMC7312"
    Thanks for the feedback. If I can't do the profile, can I do the following

Guitar --> KPA --> DAW --> Ozone --> Monitors

I could then save the EQ.
    Yes, this will work. This is very comfortable to do in Ozone, cause you can simply export and import the eq curves. So once you have the right curves you can transform your sound with a plugin preset and you´re done.

• Silentundergroundstudio have now uploaded a new kemper youtube video and a profile pack of 11 mixed metal bands.
    videolink + profile link in the vide info.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykDmj3wdcM8
    :)

quote:
    "Here are 6 examples of 11 *NEW* Tone Matched Profiles of random albums
    from various artists using the KEMPER Profiling Amp from our "CLONE TONES" series

Artist tones used in this video in order -
    Arch Enemy
    Children Of Bodom
    Chimaira
    DevilDriver
    Slipknot
    Trivium

The other 4 profiles not used in the video included -
    Hell Yeah
    Killswitch Engage
    Periphery
    Black Label Society
    Down"

• Where do i get that Dream Theater EQ Match rig?!

Ask ivan91 about it.
    Not sure if the profile is uploaded but he posted the sound clip on page nine in this thread
    classic metal tones done with EQ matching

Edit: The Dream Theater - "About to crash" profile is now uploaded to the rig exchange by ivan91.
    Dream Theater-About the crash (Rig)

• Damn! I knew there was going to be a problem when I saw SilentUndergroundStudios all of a sudden making AXE tones! I asked if they were done making Kemper tones. They responded:
    "Hey,
    Unfortunately the Kemper is gone and we are now currently working with Fractal Audio and the AXE FX II.
    Thank you so much for the support and interest !!
    Daniel -"
    These guys were making great (& free) contributions to the community. Did Fractal buy them out? They were losing customers because of the excitement generated from their tone matches. Some of you tone entrepreneurs ought to jump in and cash in!

"Heavy Metal does have a message for the rest of the world: Fuck You!" -Sebastian Bach