IMAC BigSure 11.3, Motu 828mk3 - Firewire - USB-C, Kemper Rigmanager - System crashed

• Hello everybody,

I connected my MOTU 828mk3 (Firewire) to the IMAC (previously HighSierra now Big Sure 11.3) via the Firewire to USB-C adapter. Unfortunately, the IMAC crashes completely and reboots every now and then. I couldn't really find / reproduce the correct cause of the crash. However, I have noticed that I always crash when I run the Kemper Rigmanager on the MAC - it can work longer and then - reboot ..? Maybe someone has a similar setup / also a MOTU mk3 on the Mac?

I exchanged ideas with both Kemper Support and Motu Support - so far without success….

Any ideas ? Cables from the interfaces to the IMAC have all been replaced - no success, RM, Kemper Head and Moto are each installed on the latest update.

SG Micha

• What about the system log.
    Start the console.app on mac double check the system carsh log.
    What happens if you don't plug the Firewire to USB-C adapter ?
    What adapter is it (brand) ? and is there a an extra driver needed?
    How is the USB Port and Firewire Port displayed.
    Click Systeminfo Systemreport.
    You can also check the Kemper Debug log (Documents/Kemper/Rigmanager/debuglog.txt)

Be the force with you ;)

• Thank you,

I have already sent various log files to the Kemper team and also to MOTU - Kemper taps the Motu driver, Motu does not have a current driver (build 2-2020), but apparently does not know the problem either. Today Just had another crash - this time without the active rig manager ...) - I called Apple - have reset SMC / NVRAM and also tap the "old" Motu driver as the cause.

I would be interested in whether somebody also works with the MOTU interface on the MAC?

SG Micha

• I think it's an adapter issue.
    So what I understand is the following routing

iMac -> USB/C -> Firewireadapter -> Motu

iMac -> USB2 -> Kemper

Don't mix USB2 with USB/C (USB3)

If you MIX USB2 (Kemper) with USB3 on one USB Controller you may get instability because of the different data rate.

Be the force with you ;)

• Tanks, but

- Motu: iMac -> Thunderbolt 3 (USB-C) -> Firewireadapter -> Motu

- Kemper Head - USB out to USB(3) MAC in - The Mac doing have USB2 Ports

Today the Kemper Head was not connected, the RM was not running, the MAC crashed ;)