Problem setting up network so it can assign proper IP address to Kemper to work with Rig Manager app.

• Your profiler should have an adress like 192.168.XXX.XXX (XXX can be every number between 0-254, 1 or 254 is the router most of the time, 0 is the subnet and 255 the broadcast. Anything else is not possible).

If the profiler doesn't get a correct IP-Adress from the router via DHCP it automatically changes it's own IP-Adress to 169.254.xxx.xxx.

Have a look at your router settings and specifically the LAN-Port the Profiler is connected to.

The config-page of your router should look like this (i just looked up a manual, hope it's the correct one):

This should show you if DHCP is activated.

The menu in the middle should show every connected device and their IP-Adress.

• Yes, just checked again and DHCP is Enabled in the Private LAN Summary. Here is a shot of it:

I see all of my connected devices and their IP addresses to the middle of the screen, as you mentioned.

But, do not see the Profiler and do not know what to do to get it a proper IP address. Thanks!

• Have you tried any other device with the same cable, so that you can be sure, that the port is working properly?

Maybe it's as simple as that.

• Have you tried any other device with the same cable, so that you can be sure, that the port is working properly?

Maybe it's as simple as that.

Yes, first thing I tried. Plugged into a line going to a second computer.

Plus, plugged the Kemper directly into router.

Rescanned for devices in my network setup menu, etc...

Thanks.

Edited once, last by TheGhost ().

• Remote help is always tough…

i think there are two more easy options, you can try:

- reset the Profiler to factory settings and go from there. (But of course do a full backup so you can go back!)

- try a different router (maybe you have got an old model somewhere?). But that’s not a permanent solution of course…

• Remote help is always tough…

i think there are two more easy options, you can try:

- reset the Profiler to factory settings and go from there. (But of course do a full backup so you can go back!)

- try a different router (maybe you have got an old model somewhere?). But that’s not a permanent solution of course…

I only have the one router, but I can try resetting the profiler to the factory settings.

I'll wait a bit to see if others chime in with additional suggestions.

Thanks!

• - reset the Profiler to factory settings and go from there. (But of course do a full backup so you can go back!)

Did that and the network still will not give the Kemper a proper IP address, it still starts with 169.

I'm stumped. I sure would like to be able to use the iPad to control my Kemper.

Edited once, last by TheGhost ().

• I plugged directly into the router again and the IP address in the Kemper read 0.0.0.0

????

I am assuming that is just the Kemper saying it is not receiving a network signal, but I am just guessing at this point,

Edited 2 times, last by TheGhost ().

• Your dhcp config on router looks fine.

The kemper showing a 169 address means it’s actually not being handed an IP address. 169 is a dummy address, all devices do this when they can’t obtain a proper address from dhcp server.

Have you got a laptop you can plug directly into the router via Ethernet? Physically Turn off the wifi on laptop so you’re only seeing the LAN connection. Then check laptop to see if it’s getting an address. This will just rule out and prove that the LAN DHCP is working as it should and thereby suggest an issue at the kemper side.

• Your dhcp config on router looks fine.

The kemper showing a 169 address means it’s actually not being handed an IP address. 169 is a dummy address, all devices do this when they can’t obtain a proper address from dhcp server.

Have you got a laptop you can plug directly into the router via Ethernet? Physically Turn off the wifi on laptop so you’re only seeing the LAN connection. Then check laptop to see if it’s getting an address. This will just rule out and prove that the LAN DHCP is working as it should and thereby suggest an issue at the kemper side.

Thanks for the great suggestion.

I made sure the WiFi on the laptop was off and connected it directly to the router and it connected to the internet just fine. As soon as I disconnected the working laptop, I connected my Kemper to the same cable directly into the router and it says 0.0.0.0

I only seem to be getting an address starting with 169 when I run through a long run of Cat 5 cable through the wiring in the walls, so I will not connect it that way anymore. But, a short cable directly into the router always says 0.0.0.0 in the Details menu.

So, I need to figure out why it is saying 0.0.0.0 and how to get a valid IP Address.

Edited 8 times, last by TheGhost ().

• 169.254.x.x is a private IP Addressing space reserved by Microsoft which it assigns automatically to your Network Adapter if it cannot get an IP Address from the DHCP Server.

If your laptop worked and was assigned a proper ID on the network, you might have a bad network port on the Kemper

Does the port on the router light up when you connect your Kemper?

Edited 2 times, last by drog ().

• If your laptop worked and was assigned a proper ID on the network, you might have a bad network port on the Kemper

Does the port on the router light up when you connect your Kemper?

When I plug in the cable to the Kemper network port, both the lower right green and lower left yellow lights flash (on the Kemper network port).

On the router port, it's light flashes in time with the Kemper.

• ah.. ok.. 'MyProfiler' as name can't be the problem :)

did you update to the latest OS version? There was an issue with extremely short DHCP leasetime. This has been fixed already (I'd have to check in which exact version)