Master out sounding fizzy and bad.

• Hello.
    (Kemper 1.0.9.7426)

Been playing trough monitor out (cab off) into guitar poweramp and the amps built in 2x10 speakers with excellent result. Today I connected a JBL EON 15 G2 with a balanced XLR cable, using the master out. There are so many users praising the sound using FRFR. Sorry to say it's sounds really bad, very much like the sound via the Kemper headphone out. Sounds very digital and fizzy. I must be doing something wrong. I've tried the search function, could not find any tread that described a similar problem/solution . Tried both left and right master out, tried high and low volume out, tried different input level for the JBL high or low volume on the JBL. Tried chancing the eq on the Kemper master out section. Still this annoying digital harsh fizzy sound.

Getting a bit worried here. Is this it? Doesn't the FRFR sound better then this, if so it's totally useless to me (and so is the headphone sound) ;(

Please, please guide me to my tonal heaven.
    Best regards/Hans Jakobsson, Umeå Sweden

• Thanks for clearing that out. Feeling a bit more relaxed now. So here is a follow up question. These JBL EON's are our ordinarie FOH speakers. Does this mean that my Kemper will sound bad in live situations, or will the PA mixer sort things out. I can always stay with the monitor out/poweramp/guitar cab solution on stage, if I can relay on the sound being ok in the PA.
    Tanks again/HJ

• Two things: 1. you may want to update to 1.1.1 since I think there were enhancements to the monitor out; and 2. did you change the EQ in the right section, i.e., monitor EQ section and not main out EQ section. Also, I take my monitor out signal for headphones (since I cannot get the headphone out to sound good) into a little Mackie mixer which then sounds awesome. You might want to try this mini mixer approach and see if that helps.

• These JBL EON's are our ordinarie FOH speakers. Does this mean that my Kemper will sound bad in live situations, or will the PA mixer sort things out. I can always stay with the monitor out/poweramp/guitar cab solution on stage, if I can relay on the sound being ok in the PA.
    Tanks again/HJ

No, it doen not mean that your KPA will automatically sound bad through the JBLs, since you will have a mixed signal with Drums and Bass on the Speakers. It´s just that the typicals guitar midrange frequencies will not be as prominent as with other speakers. In the mix it all changes...

What kind if music are you playing? A pair of EONs is rather unusual as a FOH pa.

• surprises me that you arent happy with the headphone sound,it should be sounding great,maybe try out some different ones.

The problem for me is that you can't EQ the headphone out. That makes it unusable as a direct out. That's why I plug my headphones into a mixer connected to the monitor out. Not really sure what the headphone out is supposed to be without the ability to EQ. I have been posting about this for months now.

• The problem for me is that you can't EQ the headphone out. That makes it unusable as a direct out. That's why I plug my headphones into a mixer connected to the monitor out. Not really sure what the headphone out is supposed to be without the ability to EQ. I have been posting about this for months now.

In 30 years I haven't seen a single device with a dedicated EQ for the headphone outputs.
    Why should the Profiler be the first exception?

• In 30 years I haven't seen a single device with a dedicated EQ for the headphone outputs.
    Why should the Profiler be the first exception?

CK, We can agree to disagree but as it stands, the headphone out is unusable. I have a workaround which I am happy with, but others may not be ok with losing their monitor out. I think the headphone out should be taken from the last thing in the signal chain from the main outs. As such, since the main outs have EQ, the headphone out would have that EQ.

• A typical small stage cover band. Always been a bit concerned regarding our sound, but our drummer/sound guy loves those high edgy eq's. He just bought a digital mixer so there are ways to adjust the guitar eq separetly. Do you have any suggestions?/Hans J

No, it doen not mean that your KPA will automatically sound bad through the JBLs, since you will have a mixed signal with Drums and Bass on the Speakers. It´s just that the typicals guitar midrange frequencies will not be as prominent as with other speakers. In the mix it all changes...

What kind if music are you playing? A pair of EONs is rather unusual as a FOH pa.

• CK, We can agree to disagree but as it stands, the headphone out is unusable. I have a workaround which I am happy with, but others may not be ok with losing their monitor out. I think the headphone out should be taken from the last thing in the signal chain from the main outs. As such, since the main outs have EQ, the headphone out would have that EQ.

Hoth,

The headphone output of your mixer delivers roughly the same signal to your headphones as our headphone output.
    But there you have the ability to eq it individually. Is this correct?

• Hoth,

The headphone output of your mixer delivers roughly the same signal to your headphones as our headphone output.
    But there you have the ability to eq it individually. Is this correct?

Yes, exactly. The sound I get through my mini mackie mixer from the monitor out is so good in headphones, would love to have that same sound through the headphone output. I need to be able to drop the treble a lot in the headphone out which I cannot do at the moment.

• as it seems easy to implement: why not. nobody would be forced to use a dedicated headphone eq, but sometimes it would be handy to have one available...
    not all headphones sound the same and being able to tame the highend a bit or throw in some low mids might be a nice add on...

• Yes, exactly. The sound I get through my mini mackie mixer from the monitor out is so good in headphones, would love to have that same sound through the headphone output. I need to be able to drop the treble a lot in the headphone out which I cannot do at the moment.

Do you have to drop the treble as well, when you listen to the main or monitor output through a PA or monitor speaker?

• CK, We can agree to disagree but as it stands, the headphone out is unusable.

Sorry, but that isn't true at all.

I'm using a Koss Porta Pro Headphone, which is rather cheap but i like the sound and the feel of these Headphones, and i even use the Headphone-out to my Logitech Desktop Speakers ( another cheap device) for rehearsal at home and even recording stuff (not for mixing) and i'm happy with it. :love:

So please, CK, don't change anything with the headphone-out !

Hoth - Just try a different pair of Headphones !

• Do you have to drop the treble as well, when you listen to the main or monitor output through a PA or monitor speaker?

I do drop the treble a lot when listening on PA and monitors. That is why I need to have an EQ on the headphone.

I have "professional" pairs of headphones and in fact have many of them so its not headphone quality. How do you use the headphone out without the ability to EQ? Are you EQ'ing every profile individually for headphone listening?

• Hoth,

If you have to equalize every profile, even when you listen on PA and monitors, then you have a lot different taste than the crowd of guys that have made all the profiles.
    You should find or make profiles that fit your need and make EQ corrections in the rig rather than globally.

If you find the rigs are too bright, please consider that all these rigs are made and profiled by other users - pro's and amateurs - who thought the sound is just right.

Also the main and monitor eq were made for temporary changes to adapt a certain monitor situation, rather than correcting a different taste for the amps internal sound.

• Thanks for the advice CK. I think I am just used to listening to dark Mesa amps so the FRFR Adam A10x and headphones I use sound bright for what my ear is used to. The headphone out is not a big deal for me so I am happy to continue keeping my workflow the way it is. Small quibble in the long run. I appreciate you trying to help.