Does it matter if I power on and off externally rather than the chicken head?

• I have my room set up so ecverything comes on from a single switch with a delay between 3 sections, usually I just turn it off when I am done and don't really think about it.

When I turn the KPA off, there is a bit of a delay while it tells you it is turning off. Is it actually doing any important stuff then?

It might be a bit tough to remember I have to turn it off first!

If so, I'll put it on a different circuit, so it will be left on rather than be improperly
    turned off accidentally.

• It does indeed have a shutdown process like a computer, it will not explode if you do it accidentally, but it is better to use the chickenhead.

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• ^ This is of course the most proper answer coming to mind Davide, and the one which must be given to anyone asking the question.

OTOH, I've never in my life experimented a failure oven my PC when switching it off accidentally (currently on Win XP), as long as there were no formatting/writing/saving operations going.
    Being no expert, I'd really love to know what exactly the KPA's shutting down procedure does and under which conditions a sudden lack of power could create issues. This would be useful for troubleshooting after a power lack as well.
    :)

• good point gianfranco..............

kemper people might have done some 'craash test' to see what to expect, right?

I'm thinking to buy/use a UPS.....................anyone use it? what brand is advisable?

michael

"...why being satisfied with an amp, as great as it can be, while you can have them all?" michael mellner

"Rock in Ecclesia" - new album on iTunes or Google music

• of course I guess you're using it for just the kemper, right?

thanks for the tip, Imall41

EDIT: did you choose this model on the base of Kemper power consumption?

the ups show a power information in Va. what is the kemper consumption?

mic

"...why being satisfied with an amp, as great as it can be, while you can have them all?" michael mellner

Edited once, last by michaelmellner ().

• i got it searching the forum: 16 watts.

as far as I read some articles, the UPS is chosen by multiplying the consumption times 1.67. in the KPA it makes 26 Va. but the smallest ups goes to 600Va. so I guess there is enough choice...........

best would be to have one ups as a 19" rack............

mic

• thanks for the tips, guys. I think I've found a good one with the mentioned features at 36 euros.

as for spikes and surges: my system does have a primary protection anyways since I run everything I have into the Furman ar230, which grants my equipment (kemper, pedalboard and mesa boogie 290) a stable and constant 230V no matter what between 152V and 278V. once passing the mentioned voltage the furman shuts himself off (is it possible to have such lowest or highest voltage?)

I'm thinking anyways to purchase the UPS, so to have another level of protection.

michael

• The Profiler does have a protection switch protecting the unit from overcurrent. This switch could get activated, if you don't properly use the chickenhead to switch off and the protection will not release before the power supply will be completely empty. You might not notice, if you shut down for more than five minutes.

• Thanks burkhard.

From the wiKPA (and of course this board as source, somewhere):
    "A: [timo] Turning the unit off with the chickenhead is better, since
    there are indeed some procedures during shutdown. It won't break your unit when
    you pull the power, but to keep performance up (boot time etc.), you should, at
    least once a while, shut it down properly with the chickenhead to give the
    system a chance to shutdown properly. The general recommendation is: use the
    chickenhead to turn the KPA off."