Lag when switching between rigs (Tech21 MIDI Moose)

• I have a black Kemper and have horrible latency when switching. I swear it wasn't an issue when I first got the unit, but it has gotten pretty bad.

Edited once, last by sb ().

• I've got the same problem! Feels like about half a second between rig change. I cant imagine to use the kpa live without solving that problem! My combination is a roland fc 300 with a BLACK Kemper... I cant seriously depend on the colour...cant it? ?(

• I just realized that this seems to have started when I updated from 1.09. I had NO latency with that fw version. It is pretty bad, I had a couple hiccups last night at the gig due to latency in the switching. :(

• I measured my midi switching time on 1.6.0 last night. It is a little over 220ms. That is considered laggy by most. It is usable but needs to be reduced. I measured the switch time on a synth module and it was less than 100ms which felt usable. I'm sure my midi controller has some delay but I suspect its 50ms or less since my synth module responded in 100ms.

bd

• I have used three different midi controllers and it's the same on all of them. I am wondering if it was a profile I downloaded or on an update because I did not have ANY issues when I bought it. I just cannot really pin it down when it started happening, but it's the slowest changing midi device I have ever used and it's a bummer in a live situation. It's still usable, but the lag is a drag!
    I bought a quadraverb back in 1989 and it still switches instantaneously still today. So do all of my other midi capable devices.

I wish I could figure it out.

?(

• I believe the truth is, everyone has the same lag. What bugs me is that some of those to whom the lag is not an issue say it isn't there, when it in fact is. I'll tell you what, anyone who claims they have no lag on a recent firmware, please record a video switching from clean to dirty in a volume that allows us to hear the "click" from the MIDI footswitch and I'll believe you ;)

• Hello guys,

I'm new here in this forum and I've been owner of a (black) KPA for about a week. And I have the same issue.

When I first tried switching rigs via Midi (I use the Musicom Lab MKIII, also tried it with the ART X12) I immediately noticed this terrible lag. I didn't messure it but it is about a quarter note at about 180-200 bpm, just to give an idea of what I experienced. The last time I remember having such a long latency when switching presets was 7 or 8 years ago when I had the Behringer V-Amp. I find that lag to be pretty annoying given the fact that I bought a professional and pretty expensive device! To be honest, this way the KPA is almost useless for me in terms of live use (and I've already played a gig with it).

I started with FW 1.5.4 and then upgraded to 1.6.0. I had the problem with both versions.

Regards

• Hey . . .
    Have you tried to enable the constant lantency feature?
    For me, I am using a Roland FC-300 it seems to make rig changes a bit smoother . . .
    I am on the offical firmware 1.60

Any one else can confirm?

• I,m using the Roland FC300 too, with 1.6 release, and that lag between rigs switching it,s very unpleasant.
    Because of this lag I have proposed a more usable, configurable C.C change modality for Kemper.

• Are you using Patchmode or Programmode with the Roland FC-300?
    For me only the Programmode works fine. During a full band playing you will not notice any noise and the switchingtime beetwenn rigs is quick.
    Witch the Patchmode every needless stream switch off the lag is still there. Not much but not for live work.

• I use a Boss GT-100 for switching live and have the same lag/latency when switching between rigs via MIDI. The worst seems to be when you go from a clean rigs to a high gain rig.

For example, when I switch between two patches and one is a Tills JVM and the other is a different rig but also uses the Tills JVM (same rig saved with different EQ), the switching is nearly instant. However, when I switch between the Tills JVM and Andy's Twin Clean rig, the lag is nearly a full second. If you watch the front panel you can see how long it takes to bring up the new rig. There is no gap in sound (no dropout) but, it takes that long after you hit the switch for the sound to change.

We play several songs that require instant switching between clean and dirty and this causes serious problems. I used the same setup with my real JVM amp (which changes channels via PC on MIDI) and the MIDI switching was instant. The GT-100 is only sending program changes AFAIK, since I've disabled all the other MIDI stuff.

I hope there is a fix for this.

J

• I hope they fix the lag soon as well. I have measured it at 250ms or more which is an 8th note at 120bpm tempo. It takes a deliberate effort to press the foot switch early to switch tones during a song without it switching late. All my other Roland and Line6 gear is much faster and doesn't require thought to avoid a switching issue.

bd

• How many pages and posts does it take to a get a response to this very important live playing issue?

The ramp up time between presets and rigs is unacceptable, the competition doesn't make you contend
    with it.

It's 2013 and these issues should be a decade behind us.