Switching lag (with NOBELS Midi-Board) - Any news on that issue?

• Hey guys.

When switching my KPA with my old NOBELS MF-1 Midi-board I am experiencing a noticeable lag between the rig-change.

I read on the forum that more people made experiences like that with different boards and is there any news on how to solve that issue?

When playing live I will be letting our DAW, which runs our synths and click etc. do the switching but for jamming and all that a more convenient way to switch the KPA would be great (until KEMPERs footcontroller comes out).

Looking forward to reading your posts.

Regards.

-Mario

• Hi Mario (Italian?),

welcome :)

The first thing you should check is whether your PB is sending chained MIDI commands. IOW, a list of commands rather than one only.
    Should you have a hard time doing this through the PB itself, there're free computer apps which will give you a complete report over what it's actually sending.

Also, have you checked you MIDI cable (i.e. tried a different one)?

• Also do a KPA Reset - and read this thread
    "SOLVED - LATENCY WHEN SWITCHING RIGS."
    http://kemper-amps.com/forum/i…page=Thread&threadID=5320

Thank you very very much. I will try this tomorrow (or maybe even this night ;-)). I downsized to about 80 already and hopefully it will work. Funny thing is that the lag is also there when switching via a DAW (i thought there might be a difference)...

BTW I am not italian. Its just the name. :) I am from germany...

• One more thing...

In the thread mentioned above the user says changing wah settigs might help getting rid of the lag but somehow I can´t find where to access these wah settings.

I did a system reboot and it seems that the lag got a bit smaller (when switching from high gain to clean it seems to be even smaller!?). Hopefully this gets resolved soon...

• Also waiting for a fix on this issue, Lexicon MPX-R1 MIDI footswitch owner here. I don't think the problem is related to specific MIDI controllers, a program change message is a program change message, there's not a lot that can be done differently about it. I'm on firmware 1.54 if that makes any difference, and the switching lag is of almost half a second, worst than anything I've ever owned. The lag happens on all my patches regardless of which effects I have engaged, most of them don't even have a wah loaded. I've done a system reset and flash memory format/init, no luck yet.

• Also waiting for a fix on this issue, Lexicon MPX-R1 MIDI footswitch owner here. I don't think the problem is related to specific MIDI controllers, a program change message is a program change message, there's not a lot that can be done differently about it. I'm on firmware 1.54 if that makes any difference, and the switching lag is of almost half a second, worst than anything I've ever owned. The lag happens on all my patches regardless of which effects I have engaged, most of them don't even have a wah loaded. I've done a system reset and flash memory format/init, no luck yet.

The funny thing is that not all users are experiencing this issue. After christmas holidays i will be trying out a BEHRINGER Midiboard and see if the lag is still there with this unit. If not its great and this will be my first BEHRINGER piece of equipment. Haha. If the lag is still there that sucks...

• i have quite some lag with the G-Lab GSC3...sometimes more, sometimes less. but it does not depend on rigs or anything

Yeah, seems like it must be something different (in the background). Tried a veeery simple BOSS Footswitch today and the lack is still there, which sucks.

If the guys at KEMPER are working tomorrow I will give them a call and offer to bring my amp to their office as I read somewhere on the forum that they were not able to recreate that switching lag with their KPAs. So if they hopefully accept my offer they can either check that unit for possible errors and fix them or just gimme a new working one!! Haha. Recklinghausen is not THAT far away from my hometown (about 160 KMs) and if i can give sth. back to this great community with supplying them an amp that has that error i will happily be doing so. :)

• Some short news :

Just for fun I switched the cab on my clean profile to the same cab I am using with my high gain profile and it felt like the switching lag was reduced to a 'size' where i could switch the rigs almost flawlessly with a little practice. Great so far.

But :

After that I programmed a midi track in REAPER to change the KPAs rigs for my bands' live-setup (just switching from high gain to clean and back) and after playing along to that backing track while recording the KPAs output i found out that the lag seems to be inconsistent ranging from around 100 ms (which is what Kemper told me is somewhat normal and what was taking into consideration by me when programming the above mentioned Midi track) to way more. 8|

Conclusion : I will be bringing back my KPA to the store where i bought it and check one of the KPAs they have in stock with a BEHRINGER Floorboard and my NOBELS board to see if the lag is also apparent in the other units. Hopefully its not and i can drive home with a fully working amp. We'll see...

• Liquidaether,

This is interesting. I also have a GLab GSC3 which I use for my live setup (amazing unit by the way!). I was planning on giving it a try with my KPA. I'll be looking forward to the results of your experiments!

Regards

• Hi there, have you tried to capture the midi-stream of your footboard with midi-ox or something alike? Could it be, that the FC sends more than just a pc, but also some pcs or some ccs too, so the kpa has to wait for the end of the long midi message?

• Hi there, have you tried to capture the midi-stream of your footboard with midi-ox or something alike? Could it be, that the FC sends more than just a pc, but also some pcs or some ccs too, so the kpa has to wait for the end of the long midi message?

If that is the case, and considering that the Eleven Rack responds to the same controllers instantly, I think the KPA needs to improve on its MIDI message filtering algorithms. It's unreasonable to state that a device isn't flawed because it works under specific controlled conditions. It has to work with the commercial available solutions for that application, namely MIDI foot controllers.

MIDI-OX sez' that everything is alright. KPA is going back to the store on monday in return for a new one!