Lunchbox vs Rack unit: Pros vs Cons

• Which is better for you? 75

1. Lunchbox (51) 68%
    2. Rack Unit (16) 21%
    3. Wouldn't matter for me either way... (8) 11%

Ok so now with the Lunchbox and Rackunit as options for Kemper, I decided to create this thread as a friendly A vs B comparison between the units.
    Here are some of my perceived Pros vs Cons of the 2 versions, but Im sure others will have more. Im going to view the Rack unit as a mounted rack unit. I know it seems to have feet, but lets just be realistic that 99.999% of people who get the rack version, are going to stick it in a rack! :)

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    Lunchbox:
    Pros:
    + Transport-ability
    + easier to get to the output options on the back
    + Can be used anywhere
    + Design (subjective)
    + easier for live use out-of-the-box
    + easier to profile various amps due to its portability and accessability.

Cons
    - Design (subjective)
    - USB port on back of unit
    - more prone to accidents as its not stuck in a rack
    - Power amp must be retro-fitted (involves shipping, waiting, etc etc...) for existing users

Rack Unit:
    Pros:
    + Safer in a rack.
    + USB port on front

+ nicer implementation into a studio in terms of aesthetics (if you're the OCD type)

+ can be safer for live use if used within a rack unit

+ can be bough with a poweramp from day 1

Cons:

- Live use rack unit would cost extra

- harder to get at back of unit while in a rack

- harder to profile while in rack.

- no mod rate and intensity knobs

- not as portable as the lunchbox.

In my view, to get the most out of the rack unit, it would require an extra rack case for live work (though it would be safer onstage!) and in the studio, having it in a rack would be annoying if you want to profile something. Have to climb in to the back of your rack, disconnect the cables, unscrew the rack, and hook it all back up afterwards....unless you brought the amp to the Kemper. At least with the lunchbox you have an easier option to do both.

Thoughts? :)

• I am selling my toaster and buying a rack mount. I would love to keep both, but can't afford it.

For me, the advantage is that I can mount it in a rack along with my VG-99 and keep everything cabled up all the time.

I tend not to tweak a lot while I'm playing, so the lost knobs are not a big deal for me (though I would love to have an editor so I can stand a the compute with my guitar and change stuff like i do with the -99).

I do not need a power amp at this time, since I always go direct to the board and use IEMs.

• I can mount it in a rack along with my VG-99 and keep everything cabled up all the time

A kind of top-open rack? Like the ones for the mixer? Mounting the VG-99 vertical would take a lot of space...

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• I don't know - but I love my toaster. Love the design. Lots of people that come into my studio ask "What's this device doing?". I tell them, it's the greatest piece of guitar gear yadayada....perfect solution would be a rackmounting kit for the Toaster from which you could remove it really fast without unscrewing etc. Something you slip it in sort of.... That would mean: On Tour: Rack. Home and Studio: Toaster.

• I put the VG-99 on a slide-out shelf. I could see getting one of those mixer racks one of these days, but it's more weight than I need right now. I have an 8-space SKB roto that I have a power conditioner, MOTU 828, wireless for IEMs + wireless for main guitar PUs. That leaves 5U where I can put the -99 in a slide out + the KPA rack (instead of mounting the -99 vertically which I do sometimes which also takes 5U).

• ....perfect solution would be a rackmounting kit for the Toaster from which you could remove it really fast without unscrewing etc. Something you slip it in sort of.... That would mean: On Tour: Rack. Home and Studio: Toaster.

Whoa, I love this idea!!!
    That would be REALLY smart.
    :thumbup:

• If I was given the option of buying a rackmount as opposed to the toaster when I purchased mine I would have bought the rackmount, but over a period of nine months and the responses I get when showing off my unit and the easy access solution I am fast becoming a rabid supporter 8) of the toaster community. This is one mysterious looking piece of equipment, an alien conception conjured up from some 1950's sci-fi movie buff's imagination.

• If I was given the option of buying a rackmount as opposed to the toaster when I purchased mine I would have bought the rackmount, but over a period of nine months and the responses I get when showing off my unit and the easy access solution I am fast becoming a rabid supporter 8) of the toaster community. This is one mysterious looking piece of equipment, an alien conception conjured up from some 1950's sci-fi movie buff's imagination.

Totally agree! Just love the design and all I need is now one of those cables! Well similar one because the angled jack does not look retro at all for my toaster
     [Blocked Image: http://www.mk-guitar.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/vox-cable-4.jpg]
    This is what I want!
    [Blocked Image: http://img.alibaba.com/photo/466200913/1_4_Right_Angle_Guitar_Plug_Jack.jpg]
    Well, live is so easy now. GAS has vanished, well almost. I'm just a Happy Kemper* now!

Labrat
    'I believe copyright owned by guitarnet70. Branded it on Feb/17/12 :D