New feature for stomps and FX

• It would be great to be able to select (filter) the range of frequencies that are affected by an stomp or effect. It could be done by simply selecting the starting frequency and the ending frequency. Everything in between goes through the stomp or effect while all content in the other frequencies remain unaffected.

It could be used on the loop FX as well so we send to external stomps or effects only the frequency range that we want to be processed while the remaining ones are not altered in the signal.

With this feature we could achieve things like combining a distortion stomp for the low end with a fuzz for the high end before the amp, a phaser on the mids with a chorus on the high end or simply combine delays and reverbs in different ways.

Edited once, last by MadH ().

• Very creative idea, I like it! :thumbup:

I thought about this while playing with the ducking parameter in the stomps. Imagine what could be achieved combining this feature with the ducking parameter. You could even use the same stomp in different slots with different frequency ranges and ducking settings. In other words, just like having our own stomp creation lab. :D

• A manly idea :thumbup:
    I could see the Kemper folks actually adopting this one - not sure I've seen it elsewhere. If they embed this in a similar way as they did the ducking it could be a winner. Nice one.

Suhr Classic Pro, Fender deluxe Strat & Baja Tele, Gibson ES335, Ibanez S Prestige 2170FW, Eastman AR371CE, Variax JTV > KPA > Patch bay inc. Strymons (Mobius, Timeline, Blue Sky), H9 Max, TC Triple Delay, & POD HD500 > Adam A7Xs

• The Axe-Fx may achieve it too, by using a kind of "frequency-splitter\mixer" module in front of 2\3 separate chains and then routing the slices accordingly with what the user wants.

• The bigger "issue" for this to happen is that the Kemper signal flow would have to change from serial to parallel. Unless CK and crew already planed (especially from a hardware perspective) to allow dual signal paths, we're likely not going to see this....

• The bigger "issue" for this to happen is that the Kemper signal flow would have to change from serial to parallel. Unless CK and crew already planed (especially from a hardware perspective) to allow dual signal paths, we're likely not going to see this....

That should not be any problem since some effects are already using a MIX parameter.

• That should not be any problem since some effects are already using a MIX parameter.

A mix parameter will control how much dry signal is bled through but subsequent effects affect the sum of those signals. To be able to "distortion stomp for the low end with a fuzz for the high end before the amp, a phaser on the mids with a chorus on the high end or simply combine delays and reverbs in different ways" as the op stated, you would have to have a parallel signal path for each frequency. The Boss GT10-B used a crossover to send signals to its dual effects paths. You could do also stuff like this in older Digitech devices which included virtual mixers which allowed all effects to be processed in parallel. The Axe FX is like this as well. So just to do the first suggestion "distortion stomp for the low end with a fuzz for the high end before the amp" you would need to split the path into 2, add an EQ stage to both, add dist to one path and fuzz to the second, and include a summing stage to control balance between the 2 signals before it hit the amp.

To be clear, I would love this functionality. But as you can see, that's essentially 4 effects just to do a split frequency distortion signal. I have no idea how much processing power the Kemper is using versus available, but it seems to me this type of processing would require some planning up front to be sure enough processing power was available to pull it off. The way the UI is displayed in addition to the way the hardware is laid out suggests they did not plan to offer parallel operation. But who knows...

• I know how it works. ;) What I requested is something simpler than what I think you understood from my explanation. The Kemper seems to follow the design of a regular pedal board (in serial). I am not asking for the stomps or effects to run in parallel with each other but simply to be able to select the frequency range where the effect is applied. That's why I said that since they have the MIX parameter already this should be possible as this means that the source signal is split into two (dry and wet) and summed at the output. The only thing they would need to do is add low and high pass filters as parameters so you can control it.

My way of achieving the example of a distortion stomp for the low end with a fuzz for the high end before the amp could be simply done setting a low pass filter on the disto at 350hz and high pass filter on the fuzz at 5khz. I know that the results would not be as precise as running everything on parallel but it would be much simpler to use and implement.

• But if you want the untreated part of the signal to go through to the next fx it will have to be parallel, a normal hi/lo filter would just kill the selected frequencies and that part would not reach the following pedal.

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• But if you want the untreated part of the signal to go through to the next fx it will have to be parallel, a normal hi/lo filter would just kill the selected frequencies and that part would not reach the following pedal.

Once the signal is split into two inside the stomp or effect it would run in parallel like any pedal that offers a MIX feature but the input and output would be just one signal (serial). This is what the KPA is already doing in some effects. Will was referring to be able to keep the effects running in parallel with each other which is not what I meant.