Budget FR for rock/metal

• Hello,

today i played the kemper with my behringer FR monitor box and the sound was awful. It just cutted my ears of. Im considering to buy a cheap (bugera etc) amp and use it as poweramp + a nice box but i dont think this is the answer cause in that way i save no weight at all by using the kemper. So is there any FRFR box out there which sounds good for high gain sounds under 500€ ? I made a new thread because the clean sounds sounded ok. Im just seeking for a box that sounds good with highgain sounds.

• Looks like a lot of people are happy with the Yamaha DXR 10, do you have the chance to try one?

"Music is enough for a lifetime, but a lifetime is not enough for music" Serghei Rachmaninoff

• yes in a few weeks we will test a few thing at thomann :) will check that yamaha box absolutly out

Thank you :)

• I also have behringer monitors,but 15" and they have a high and low eq. and they really sound not good with
    eqs off. too boomy, too much high´s. so what i do is: turn the lows one steps down and the highs one step
    up. this gives them a nice midrange sound. i have tried the yamaha dxr 10 and they are really good, but not 600 euro
    better.
    so try first every possible set up/ combination with your gear

• Have any one had any experience with Solton speakers?

I found this one on Thomann and the specs look good and the price is ok: Solton MF 300AL
    [Blocked Image: http://images6.thomann.de/pics/prod/269505.jpg]

The unit and the specs look good.
    I don't have any hands-on experience with these, but Solton is known for solid and good equipment, definitely not cheapo.
    So if you're shopping for FRFR I'd say go for it and report back. ;)

• So yesterday i tested all of them. I tested 2x12 with a powerball as poweramp and than the monitors. The Solton first... it was ok MUCH better then my behringer MUCH better. Thought this would be a good alternative. Then came the Yamaha and it blew me away. even better then the 2x12 Guitarboxes. It was just perfect so detailed and yeah ... great :D. The shopman told me to try a new box from thoman (the box pyrit) which should be very good and much has a much flatter eq curve then the yamaha

http://www.thomann.de/de/the_box_pyrit_12a.htm

it didnt sounded that great as the yamaha (great anyway) but he told me since i have to setup mainly a sound for the PA and this thing is mainly for me it would be the much better joice zu take the pyrit because of the flat response. And yeah i think hes right. Didnt buy one yesterday because i dont know if i can live with a monitorbox on stage... it just dont look like rock/metal ... and .. yeah the optical thing is very important for me two ... a fullrange in a 2x12 box would be perfect ... but there is none right (except the atomic)?

Oh yeah all of those boxes wasnt too loud dont know if we need some bigger ones ?

• Where's the proof that the Pyrit has a better/flatter EQ curve than he Yamaha?
    I would take the one that sounds best (in a certain price range).

i think there is no proof i just trust that seller. (and he was telling me the much cheaper product is the better ... the only reason could be because the cheaper ones are thoman products ). He just told me that the pyrit just response more likely then the most PA on stages. I mean if thats true its absolutly right i would set up my tone on a that box and give the same signal to the pa and the mixer dont have much to work on it. Would be perfect.

kilihahn

thank you but by saying except atomic i meant the price is to high :D

• Any thoughts about that?

If its true what he says what would you take?

The one with more clarity , sounding bigger and better or the one which sounds absolutly good but not nearly as good as the first one BUT is flat and response like the most PA's?

• I would probably take the one that sounds best AND are within budget.

There is no PA that HAVE a flat response. So it would be a mistake to claim that a certain monitor will sound 'more like' a PA.

On the other hand, how did the Solton compare to the Box?
    I'm kind of fond of the idea that the casing of the Solton let me put the KPA on top of it, if I don't use it as an wedge...

• I would probably take the one that sounds best AND are within budget.

There is no PA that HAVE a flat response. So it would be a mistake to claim that a certain monitor will sound 'more like' a PA.

On the other hand, how did the Solton compare to the Box?
    I'm kind of fond of the idea that the casing of the Solton let me put the KPA on top of it, if I don't use it as an wedge...

OK good point.

IMO Yamaha was the best then the pyrit and then the solton. All of those 3 did a great job. But the Yamaha had that WOW effect. Im just wondering if those monitors are loud enough for gigs etc ?( (for small gigs with weak pa where the main sound comes out of the real box for example)

• [

IMO Yamaha was the best then the pyrit and then the solton. All of those 3 did a great job. But the Yamaha had that WOW effect. Im just wondering if those monitors are loud enough for gigs etc ?( (for small gigs with weak pa where the main sound comes out of the real box for example)

One DXR 10 alone is unbelievably loud and punchy. No problem to carry a small venue without PA.

• Im using my kemper with a Alto TS115A and honestly for what i paid for it... its awesome! Gets pretty loud and sounds great. Have tried the merrow/ola presets and they sound great even when playing with a 7 string the tone is still defined and notes are distinguishable.

Here is a crappy cell phone pic. Was trying out the acoustic profiles: :thumbup:

[Blocked Image: http://i.imgur.com/mMzFcg9.jpg]