Posts by CKDexterHaven

Okay, cool.

I feel like i might just export the set of profiles i edited for each of my guitars, then Factory reset the entire Kemper and clear out the Rig Manager, and start over. And i'll lock the Clean Sens from the beginning.

Thanks much. Hope i can come back to report happiness and joy!

Humans perceive clean tones to be lower in volume than high-gain tones. Clean tone profiles always sound too low to my ears, but when looking at my db meters in my DAW, you can see they are the same signal strength as a high-gain profile. So, be careful with clean profiles so you do not begin to clip. I keep my Sens at Zero, and I use cold/hot passive and active pups on different guitars.

Yes, i recognize that, but still.... Too much of a disparity. Seems like there should be a built-in provision for normalizing profiles.

If i install a new pack of profiles, and there's a Friedman Dirty tone, shouldn't i be able to switch to the same amp's clean tone and be able to hear it? Not saying it would be completely inaudible, but it's like if my volume on a high gain patch is 8, the clean will be 2.

Clean Sense only goes so far to get it closer, but i feel like i'm doing something wrong when i use it—as if i'm 'cheating' and adding some sort of technical, digital 'crutch' that doesn't give me the full audio quality. Like when you use the Digital Zoom feature on a camera—you do increase your 'reach,' but the pixels aren't the same quality as when you use an Optical Zoom. Knowhatimean?

I'm not completely new to modeling. I've had an Atomic (2x), a Fractal AX8, and a few software modeler apps. This issue is not entirely unique to the Kemper for me, but because it's not modeling—it's a capture—it seems like 'bad practice' to goose volume like this.

So, back to practicals—do you guys have to do the same thing with every preset you load? If you get a pack, you scroll through them, and for each one, you have to adjust levels? Which 'level/volume' control do you work with FIRST? Which is the LAST resort?

Okay, so i have it plugged directly into my powered monitors.

It does seem to run very 'hot,' but only for the higher-gain presets. If i just randomly flick around between unknown profiles, the high gain stuff is loud>too loud, and the clean stuff is borderline inaudible. That's with each profile's AMPLIFIER Volume at 0.0db, and OUTPUT (Main Output/Master Stereo) at -21.7db.

So, if i switch from a profile with gain level 7 (bars), it's too loud, and then i go to the same profile, but a clean (zero bar) version, it's way too soft.

I've had a Stage for only a couple of weeks. With every profile i load, i have to crank the "Amplifier" volume to 3:00/8.5db or further, just to get a reasonable volume. And high-gain profiles just sound anemic and i usually have to turn up the GAIN to get it to sound close to what i would expect the Default to sound like. Is this common/expected/normal?

I'm confused about the difference between RIG VOLUME, AMP VOLUME, Input>CLEAN SENS/DIST SENS.... Too many different ways to affect volume for my simple brain.

I'm using SPDIF, into a Gen 3 Focusrite Scarlett, with five different guitars and a pedalboard, but the same concerns exist for all guitars, and whether or not i go straight into the Kemper. Monitors are Mackie MR624.

That all said, if i do turn up the Amplifier Volume, the sound can be quite good, but it seems silly that i would have to do that with Every new profile i try, when people demoing the Kemper seem to be able to just scroll through presets at random and everything sounds 'perfect.' Plus, i'm paranoid that maybe cranking this Amp Volume is compromising me somewhere, with either noise or S/N or dynamic range or somesuch—i dunno.

Anyone want to counsel me and maybe also run down the 'global' settings i should be using?

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

by Michael Britt