Posts by floyd99

Yes, I get that and agree.

For that purpose I think it probably has all it needs.

All I’m saying is that by limiting it the way they have, they’ve restricted it to only that purpose. Adding a little extra function as I’ve mentioned, would open it up to a whole other cohort of users/purposes.. which means more sales!

Do people really expect a player with every Kemper feature, just smaller and at half the price? ^^

Not every. But the basics of using and loading your existing rigs (not just the amp profile), and a small screen so you know what rig you’re on.

Because then the unit is a fully functional backup for those of us with a Stage - in addition to a “pedal board” unit that it seems more designed for. Not all of us have a pedal board and the Kemper is our entire rig. Just seems a shame to eliminate us as an intended user

Great for folks that a rig with 4 slots is ok, but mine almost always have more.

OD/Dist stomp

A chorus or phaser or tremolo

stereo widener

Delay

Reverb

That’s already more than it can handle. Sometimes mine might also have an EQ. we’re not talking anything fancy here.

Ps this isn’t actually a cheap unit. Yes it’s half the price of a Stage but it’s still not cheap. It’s comparable in price to a HX STOMP which is far more featured than what this Player seems capable of. People keep quoting other units that are half the price of this, which isn’t a fair comparison.

Anyway I’ll leave it there… no point dwelling on it, is what it is. ;)

Those options are half the price so they’re not comparable.

At this price the Player is more compared to a HX STOMP which has most of the things this is missing and is a true “cut down” version of the other product line.. a display, stereo outs, can load just as many presets as the bigger units. It has limitations in the number of effect blocks compared to the bigger units but has (from memory) at least 8 blocks.

Ps. Also means can’t use this as a backup solution.

They’ve focused on an “end of pedal board chain” amp solution but really missed a whole market of people that would have got one of these - folks that already use Kemper and don’t use a pedal board but where a cut down version without foot switches would suffice. Ie those that cycle through rigs or performances, use midi, etc - where foot switches aren’t needed. And those that would like a backup solution to their main rig that could have some of their existing rigs loaded and ready to go.

No display screen..

No stereo main outs..

Only 4 fx slots..

Useless.

So basically you can’t take your rigs from Stage / Head and load them onto it.

If it was basically a cut down hardware version of a Stage without all the foot switches, but you could load your existing rigs / performances onto and scroll through them, it would have been perfect (with an LCD and Stereo out). But the software also being so hugely restricted (only 4 slots) means it’s totally useless. Who can create a sound patch with only 4 fx slots?

Totally perplexed at what they were thinking in making such huge limitations.

I’ve asked for this multiple times also. a”Performance View” for the IOS rig manager.

Such a simple thing to add but would be Sooo helpful.

I have my iPad mini mounted below my music stand to help with on the fly adjustments during rehearsal and it would be so great if it had a performance view that literally just displayed the Rig Name (if in browser mode) or Performance Name & Slots (perf mode) in big letters.

This would mean i don’t have to look at the floor to see what rig/perf is active and it would be right in my field of view - which is actually super helpful when I’m juggling reading music, swapping instruments, watching a conductor, and turning pages all at the same time.

Please!

I’m in process of creating a whole lot of rigs for an upcoming show and noticed the same thing.

Copy/Paste of a rig does not work - with error you had.

I also then discovered the Duplicate button thankfully.

However one quirk with it.. if I’m in a rig working on it, then save it, and then want to duplicate it - you can’t as the duplicate button isn’t there. You have to select/open a totally different rig, then re-select the one you were working on and the duplicate button is now there.

Ok I’ll say it… how is it that you don’t have a backup?

You’ve never copied Performances into rig manager and/or exported your performances to computer hard drive?

Didn’t take a profiler backup before performing OS upgrades? (Which the instructions state in big bold letters to do)

Didn’t test the unit out before heading to rehearsal ?

All of the above is the total basics of life with technology. It’s not hard to do.

Sorry to sound a bit mean (don’t intend to) but you do have to take some ownership here ;)

I have backups on slim profile USB stick that literally lives in the unit 24x7 and I just press the “backup” button every now and then. … backups of performances inside a folder structure in rig manager… and exports of those to my laptop hard drive which in turn happens to be my OneDrive folder so that they’re sync’d to cloud and accessible to me anywhere with an internet connection should I ever need access when out and about.

Hope you manage to get back up and running easily.. and for your future sanity - start doing the above!! ;)

Yes my 714ce has the ES2 and I hate it. So disappointing for such a lovely guitar.
    I replaced it with a lr Baggs.. wired into the tail piece battery holder. I left the stock controls (but they’re obviously not connected to anything), so it can all be reversed.

Mine stays powered on 24x7 for literally weeks at a time. Zero issue.
    I leave computers powered on too and the Kemper is basically a small embedded computer but with a much more basic operating system.

Computers are literally designed to do this. I’ve never understood why people think it’s necessary to turn them off.

I work in a hospital on IT infrastructure - out of our fleet of computers, probably a good 4000 of them are literally running 24x7x365 (hospitals don’t sleep). Not once have I heard of an issue with a computer dying because of this. Yes occasional reboots are needed to clear RAM.

Leave it on.. turn it off… whatever you feel like doing :) you’re not gonna break it. Just power it down periodically to clear things. And of course unplug during a storm.

Steve5478

I do theatre shows. They are vastly different to the gigs I assume you do.

Do I adjust parameters in every single rig/performance? YES. I do not use global eq etc. every sound is unique. Every piece of music is individually mixed to suit the scene of what’s going on on-stage. A solo sound in one song might have a Rig volume set vastly lower than another song, because it’s played underneath cast dialogue (talking). I pride myself on having consistency in my sound from one show to the next as the FOH sound operator is NOT actively mixing the band every night - they are focused on the 30 cast radio mics. They rely on the pre-programmed automation and therefore in turn rely on the musicians to be as consistent as possible.

I don’t have the luxury of stopping a rehearsal to say “sorry folks just give me 30 seconds, I think my solo sound in that song needs a slight tweak”.

I make mental (or physical) notes for any changes I want to make that I don’t have time to, and then go back and make them later.

Quite literally every single sound change throughout the show is a new independent rig that I am either cycling through in order, or by using Performances (depends on the complexity of the show).

Example; during my home programming I set reverb level on all the sounds to a certain level.

Once I’m running the show I find I’m losing it in the mix and want to bump it up by 10% in every sound. I don’t need the hardware to make this change. I just need to make the same change on a heap of rigs. That means going through anywhere from 50-100 rigs to adjust that parameter.

This would be nice to do at home on my couch while the Kemper is back at the theatre.

Sorry for the long posts.. just thought it would be interesting for folks who may be used to playing in cover bands but not have an appreciation that there is other forms of gigs and we work a little different 😉

I agree the original poster’s suggestion wouldn’t work given the hardware is needed to reproduce the sound.

but the offshoot question of having the ability to tweak and create performances without the hardware would be super useful.

Just because some people think that idea is naff doesn’t mean it’s naff for others.

I might have a library of sounds and I just want to build the base performances up.. with the aim to tweak later. Being able to do that without being plugged into the hardware would be very helpful.

Or, let’s say that during a dress rehearsal I felt all my sounds of a given type needed a slight boost… or a tad more reverb. ie. I want to make the same repeatable change to a whole stack of rigs. I do not need the hardware to hear this change. Rather than stick around after the show to make all those changes laboriously on the unit, Wouldn’t it be great if I could do that at home later in RM and then bring the laptop in to the theatre to upload the changes. (Ofcourse would be great to do via usb but alas performances can’t be loaded via usb.. )

so yes.. this would definitely be a handy feature. Just coz some of you think it’s stupid doesn’t mean it is.

This drives me nuts.

I wish there was an option to enable this function.

I play theatre shows. If the first patch of the show happens to be a huge loud dirty sound, the potential for making horrific sound is very real. Add to that other muso’s might already have headphones on and on more than on occasion I’ve had to apologise for blasting the crap out of their ears until I’ve managed to move the volume pedal off heel and back again to kill the sound of the guitar going off. Even without a guitar plugged in there could be some annoying loud open circuit noise. Not all of us have the luxury of booting up to an audio system that is muted first.

Add to that, sometimes if I’ve forgotten to power off the night before, it will get powered off by the sound team when they shut off audio power. Then it will boot back up the next night during their system power-up, way ahead of me arriving. This has potential to be very unpleasant.

It’s crazy that the Kemper does not remember (or have an option to enable) the volume position. Or, if that’s not technically possible… an option that Tuner mode is enabled by default on startup. This would also solve the issue and won’t rely on Kemper determining volume position. My original thought to workaround this was to hit tuner before powering off, but guess what.. Kemper Stage doesn’t remember that either. 😭

While I’m at it … it also drives me crazy that the operating system causes rather loud audible pops during boot-up and shutdown.. I’m not going to be popular the day that I need to reboot the Kemper mid show for some reason.

I have the qsc k10 as well as the yamaha dxr10 and headrush 12...the headrush was my favourite until I got the kemper kab. didn't like the qsc at all but when used with the helix stomp it sounds great..much better than all the others... but for the kemper I would go for the kemper kab no doubt.

luntho i had similar experience with qsc k10. My helix pretty good, but Kemper sounded nasty (even though it sounded great through my home monitors, headphones, and sounds guys say my sounds were great in the PA. It was just waaaay too boomy. Thankfully the Monitor Out has some basic tone controls and by knocking out a heap of bass it now sounds great.

Asked before… will ask again… coz it’s something I desperately need.

PLEASE a “performance/live view” for the iPad rig manager.

As you can see from below photo - the iPad is super helpful.. I’ve been using it to make on the fly adjustments. So much better than leaning down to the floor.

But, it would be so much better if the Rig Name (or Performance name, whichever mode you’re using) was in much larger text. Either in the layout as it currently stands, or a separate “live” view you can skip back and forth to.

I really need to be able to quickly look down and see that I’m in the right rig. For this show I have approx 45 rigs I’m sequentially scrolling though one after the other and some VERY fast guitar changes. Looking down at a tiny screen on the floor isn’t ideal.

https://www.facebook.com/photo…&set=a.88766078932&type=3