Posts by livefrompfd

Thanks for this great list of hard/flight cases for the Stage! I have two Stages which are getting moved around a lot, and the Kemper soft bag is stressing me out :P

I was able to find two Plano 42" cases locally ($115/ea) which I am going to pickup this afternoon.

I opted for the 42" since they were basically the same price as the 36", and that would provide more room for more cushion, IEMs, cables, two expression pedals, etc.

I may make a video on this project 8)

I just wanted to say that this is the only Top Jimi pack I have purchased, and this has been an absolute god-send profile for here in my studio!

This is a classic sound which I was worried might sound "old" now a days, but its fit so well on so many modern styles, and even with multiple guitarists it works well.

Whether using single coils, humbuckers, or of course using my P90 Les Paul Junior, it's been easily adaptable and just sounds fantastic.

Kudos!

Hi all!

It's been a year since I purchased two Kemper Stages, and to say it's been studio changing for me would be under selling it. 8o

I have a lil' YouTube channel called "Live From... Peace Frog's Den" where I am focused on promoting South Texas acts playing (released!) original music in my little "silent" studio. Performances are live streamed, the bands play live, audio and video mixed live, so not a lot of places to hide (by design) :D

We are about to start our next Season next week, but I wanted to share a bit of our rehearsal last night, which maybe you might find interesting.

Since I bought the two Kempers, one of the guitarists for Neighborhood Strangers (the other guitarist is my oldest son :)) purchased his own Kemper Stage, so now my 2nd Kemper Stage got to be repurposed for bass guitar!

The song below has an overhead shot showing all three Kempers.

I'd love any feedback y'all have on the mix, video, channel, etc ! Last night we were focused on calibrating cameras and lightning, so the video cuts are for us and not the viewer.

Cheers to everyone who contributes here on the forum, I lurk mostly, but I've learned SOOOO much from all of you :love:

Have a great weekend!

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

I generally record live full band rehearsals, tracking and or performances with (up to) two Kemper Stages. Acts play original music and hover in the blues, rock and pop genres. For months I could get a good IEM mix for the acts and a not-so-good recorded mix, or vice versa. A giant game of whack-a-mole for a while, and was rather frustrating for all concerned.

This is where I've settled and I am finally pleased and feel like the Kempers are working to their full potential for me. YMMV :D

I record both Kempers in Stereo, so I maintain the stereo effects the guitarists have setup, direct to my mixer with Kempers set at -12db out. Each Kemper track in my DAW has a channel strip (I use the Lindell 80 or Scheps Omni. but any of them will do) where I apply light 4:1 compression with a slow recovery. I then EQ each Kemper with a small boost at 7khz, 1.5khz, and 200hz, and high-pass from 60-200hz depending on the act. I bus both Kempers and then apply a light bus compression and a light plate reverb & light room reverb to provide that in the room feel/sound.

I thought when I got the Kempers I would record them clean without any assistance, and all the wonderful sound in the Kemper would automatically translate easier in the mix. My bad! Once I decide to mix/record each Kemper like a mic'd guitar cab, voila!

A full stereo FX loop would be really nice to have. Currently I'm only use a mono FX loop currently, but it would be nice to be able to bring in more "colorful" stereo pedals into the Kemper.

Lots of great suggestions here which I'll echo. I run two Kemper Stages for two guitarists to my mixer.

I set Kemper output to -12 on Master Volume and lock it, and then run LEFT & RIGHT XLR from Kemper to my mixer. I gain stage at that point as needed.

I set HPF to 85khz for the Kempers. I turn off all effects, compressor, and EQ at the mixer for the Kempers, and then add only minimal amounts as needed to give the full mix the life and balance I am looking for. My philosophy is to make all the core sound decisions at the Kemper, not at the Mixer.

Normalizing the Kemper amps & performances to operate in a predictable way through the mixer is what takes the most time & effort.

Worst case I can compensate at the mixer on a song by song basis. When that happens I take notes of what I had to do, and then adjust the Kemper as needed so it doesn't happen again ?

The great part is that feeling doesn't go away. I still have that feeling years later. With some gear, you have that "honeymoon period", where you love it and overlook some little things. After a while, those little things become big things and you really begin to wonder what you go yourself into. Thankfully, that never happens with the Kemper. The features are so deep, you can learn new things about it years later. ENJOY!!!!!

So glad to hear that!

Woke up this morning learning about the new Kemper beta and that Double Tracker will soon be available. I almost cried in happiness knowing this unit just keeps getting better, while I have still so much to learn about all the features it already has! Just utterly amazing.

Hello all!

I recently purchased two Kemper Stages to replace my two Boss Katana Heads Mk1, and they are just now getting settled in for heavy rounds of exploration.

After researching Kempers for the last month and mostly lurking here, I believe I've found the guitar tool I've always been looking for - for writing, recording and live use.

It's truly amazing to see what this community has to offer a new Kemper user! I'm glad to be here.

Maintain,

Babul

I don't know if the acts you bring in are a single meeting thing or people you know in the area, but if it's the latter you could always have them come out on a day before the show and profile their amp. They show up and get the exact tone they're used to, you get the consistency and ease of use the Kemper brings, and you get some additional profiles, too.

I have the musicians show up the day before to dial in their drums, bass, vocals and guitar tones. I hope to offer the ability to profile their amps in the future, but I believe I need to get a few hours in the Kemper before I dive into profiling. Just evaluating the free/paid profiles available is overwhelming!

Silent Lucidity is the only Queensryche song I cannot stand and would never want to play. I guess I just despise it because when you bring up Queensryche it's what most people know that aren't really into them. The "default" song.

Haha I agree with the sentiment. But Silent Lucidity was the song when my girlfriend and all the other not-metal fans in my world wouldn't complain about us playing Queensryche anymore :P I'm sure the crossover success helped filled their bank accounts immensely. Their first album was such a huge influence on me - I was hooked from then on.

I did a quick once around the block on your YouTube show. Fun stuff, man.

If you've been miking guitars in the past, you're going to love the simplicity of coming straight out of the Kemper into the board. The exact same tone every time you pull up a profile, no more amp knobs off by just a little each time or mics that are never quite the same from gig to gig. I love the consistency and not having to worry about dialing the guitar in each time. There's an old joke in the computer biz that reliable stuff is like a toaster - plug it in and it just works. In my case, well, I guess it really is a toaster. :)

Thanks for checking the show out Chris! I love the toaster analogy.

I've only previously mic'ed guitars during final tracking sessions. The Katana's I've used for a few years now have been good enough for practices, writing, and now the live YouTube show. But just like in the computer biz, sadly the prototypes go into production more often than not :D The Katanas were always meant to be placeholders but their ease of workflow makes it harder to go back to mic'ing. I'm sure the purists are horrified I would say that, but there are only so many hours in the day.

As I bring new acts in for the live show who, rightfully so, are upset I won't let them bring their favorite combo/head/cab to mic up, I had to have a better solution.

With the Kemper's my hope is to keep the ease of workflow while having actual stellar reliable guitar tones for everyone, for live and studio use :)