Posts by timowens

Thanks , it will take awhile to go through 100 profiles.

Do you have a fav?

I really haven't gone through them completely yet. One thing I have noticed is that the i5 is a bit bright so I prefer it in mic position 3 or 4 whereas I prefer the SM57 in mic position 2 or 3. I don't expect anyone to try all 100 profiles, I doubt I will, for example, I'm pretty sure I don't like any of the profiles with mic position 1 or 5 so I've already eliminated a bunch right there.

Good point, I added All Files.zip. Thanks

I was curious about mic positions and I wanted to compare the SM57 to the i5 so I did a bunch of profiles. I thought I’d share the results with anyone who is into this kind of experiment…

The amp was the Carol Ann Triptik 50.
    The speaker cab was an Avatar Vintage 112 closed back loaded with a Scumback M75 65W 8 Ohm.

I profiled the amp 5 times with each mic and mic position, here’s basically how the amp was setup for each profile:
    Clean (really edge of breakup)
    Classic, drive-1:00
    Classic, drive-3:00
    Modern drive-1:00
    Modern drive-3:00

The mic positions were:
    Center
    Dome edge
    Dome edge + 0.6 inches
    Dome edge + 1.2 inches
    Dome edge + 1.8 inches

I also did these profiles with the mic about 1.5 inches off the grill cloth and about 0.2 inches off the grill cloth.

The total number of profiles for this experiment was 100, so instead of clogging the Rig Exchange with a bunch of silly experimental profiles I’ve placed them in DropBox so anyone can download them if they want to.

Since it is kind of a pain to name 100 profiles on the KPA (HINT: WE NEED AN EDITOR), I simply named the profiles #1 though #100 and there is an Excel spreadsheet included that has all the information on what each profile is.

For anyone who is interested in this kind of experiment, please feel free to download and mess with the profiles, the only thing I ask is please share your thoughts, I haven’t even gone through them myself yet, it took about 4 hours to do this and I need to go spend time with the family now :)

Anyway, here’s a link to the profiles: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/sa9okvad9j4czrr/ssUuSQmy0e

Did you also try different distances with the RTA mic? It took me some attempts to find out a good distance which reflects in a good sounding EQ curve.

Yes I did, but maybe not enough. To be honest, I'm not sure that I had the DriveRack setup correctly, I need to mess with it some more when I have more time, something just wasn't right.

Well I tried this with my DBX DriveRack PA and didn't have much luck. The thing that baffles me is that the DriveRack works so well with my PA, I was really expecting some good results. Oh well, at least I know what doesn't work :)

This is an interesting topic. I have a DBX Driverack PA that I use on my PA in my jam room and it works pretty good for that, you just place the calibration mic where you want the best sound and hit a button and it automatically EQ's your system for that room. I haven't thought about trying it on my FRFR monitors that I use with the KPA and modelers, it might help, I'll have to try it some time.

I would like to see two mic inputs with phantom power, for doing profiles with two mics without needing any external equipment. Maybe they could include this in a PRO version to cover the extra costs.

If you're talking about mine, thanks! But I have to admit that there is a lot of room for improvement, I haven't quite found the right mic setup to really capture how good the amp really is, but I'm still working on it.

I haven't upgraded yet because I tend to shy away from beta versions, so I haven't tried performance mode yet. But I'm curious about something, I'm using the Ground Control Pro as a controller and I really like being able to name the patches on the Ground Control, I'm thinking that if I were to use performance mode I wouldn't be able to do this, so I wouldn't really know what rig I was on without looking at the Kemper, is this correct or am I missing something? Can the FCB display the rig name?

I'm curious what profiles everyone is using when playing live with the KPA, using a FRFR monitor and going direct to the mains. My personal interest is in "edge of breakup" clean, crunch and medium gain tones. So far I have only used my own profiles, I'm sure there are plenty of profiles out there that are better than mine but I think because I'm comfortable with my own amps and speaker cabs I tend to prefer my own profiles. But, I'm looking to try some other profiles and instead of auditioning every profile out there I thought I'd ask what everyone else is using for live applications.

Along the same lines, does anyone use different profiles for recording vs. playing live? Is there a difference? I tend to think that there is but I'm new at this profiling stuff.

I've been thinking about this, I also profiled two other amps that day and they also turned out loud, it has to be something I did wrong, maybe I did have a boost on and didn't notice it. Anyway, I think you're right, I'm having a lot of fun experimenting and figuring out how this all works, not just the KPA, but also all the other elements like the speakers, mics, etc. Aside from this level problem (which I'm sure was user error), the KPA works great, what you put in is what you get out.