Posts by Armin

btw. today is the last change to get all our current profiles sets 01-07 in a bundle (35% off).

This bundle will be replaced by two new bundles 'HighGain' and 'BluesAndSpecial' each will contain 4 profile sets and will be $49.99

A new profile set 'MKV' will be available soon too :D

My AxeFx II profiles where done before I sold my box.
    The old firmware 4.x was used - so it sounds different compared to 5.x or 6.x firmware.

I love some of the old AxeFx II sounds very much - since I do not own all the real amps included in the AxeFx II.

IMHO are profiles of real amps much better - but it's a matter of taste.

Some of the profiles sound great 'out of the box' - most will improve a lot if combined with CAB's from other profiles.

For me it's a way to 'still have my old sounds' while the AxeFx is gone.

When I profile an amp I like to take A LOT of profiles to be able to use the KPA in the same way as if the real amp is next to me.
    So I like to profile all channels, modes, switches, different settings ...

If anybody else likes this too - the problem is to find a naming convention.

Here I share how I name my profiles for a very complex amp.

The example for this tip is my beloved Mesa Boogie Mark V.

This amp has 3 channels - each with 3 different modes.
    Each channels has knobs for gain, master, presence, treble, mid, bass
    Switches for normal/thick or normal/bright
    10/45/90 watt power tube settings
    Silicon/rectifier or triode/pentode settings
    The famous 5 band EQ
    Full power / Variac Power

ok, one thing is clear - it's impossible to profile ALL different combination - or the KPA memory would be filled only with this one amp :D

So what will I profile?
    I ask myself what will I NOT profile - and I found that different power settings are not this important - since the KPA can be used at any level - I can play the 10Watt very loud and the 90Watt at bedroom level - without losing the great sound of a cranked amp.
    Silicon or tube rectifier make not so much sound difference - it's more a feel thing and of course a SAG thing - but this must be selected at the KPA manually - so there is INHO no need to profile the amp at different power and rectifier settings..

.. in genera - because by clean sound can I hear a different sound when I profile the amp at different power settings.
    This amp uses tube rectifies when set at 10Watt and silicon rectifiers when set to 90Watt - there is a switch to set the amp to one of these options at the 45Watt setting.

The power tubes can be switched between triode and pentode when the third channel is used.
    I used the 'right' setting:
    The first mode of channel III is a Mesa Boogie Mark IIc - this uses triodes
    Mode 2 and 3 is a Mark IV - this one uses pentodes

Naming - my profiles are named like this:
    AH MKV C23 9T858830E

AH (is my name - by this can I find my profile very fast - even if I sort by name)
    MKV (is for the Mesa Boogie Mark V - so all MKV profiles are close together)
    C23 (Channel 2 Mode 3)
    9 (90 Watt settings - 4=45Watt, 1=10Watt)
    T (Thick setting - N=Normal, B=Bright)
    858830 (The values of the 6 knobs: gain, master, presence, treble, mid, bass)
    E (5 Band EQ activated, no E= EQ deactivated)

All my basic amp profiles are raw = no effects

In addition do I like to create some 'Mods' = profiles with effects, advanced amp parameter changes ...
    While I never change the raw profiles later - will I create new mods each time I find some great effects settings or do some advanced tweaking.

These will be named like this:

AH MKV M04 Clean HB

AH (is my name - by this can I find my profile very fast - even if I sort by name)
    MKV (is for the Mesa Boogie Mark V - so all MKV profiles are close together)
    M (Mod -> after the basic profiles starting with'C')
    xx (To digets number for the mods)
    nnnnn (Speaking names - here a clean patch for guitars with humbuckers)

hope this helps someone :S

Yes, I adjusted the volume in the CAB block in some patches in my older sets - at that time where the levels quite different after profiling.

Now (I use firmware 1.1.1) will the profiling levels be automatically adjusted - and I don't need to do this trick anymore - I am not sure when all this was changed.

If you find some profiles clipping - simple adjust the volume in the CAB block does the trick.

When fw 1.1.1 get the release state will I rework all the profiles levels as well.

Yes, I agree if anybody has no gear at all and needs all this:
    the KPA
    Stereo amp
    two speakers (or two active speakers)
    controller

than this a lot of money - and a lot to carry around.

The same is true if someone needs only ONE sound (Fender, Marshall, Boogie, Vox whatever) why not buying the real thing and done.

For recordings, bedroom use or in case someone likes to try MANY amps and effects - the KPA is killer.

In may case it was a bargain since I was able to sell so much other (digital) gear which I no longer need and have now all in one box.

....Your tips are confusing.. one of your last tips was to "go play through a tube amp".. now you say to sell them.

I don't recommend to sell tube amps - I still own all the tube amps I owned before I bought the KPA - but I sold all modeling stuff.

And I don't say 'go buy tube amps' - but it's important to play one form time to time.
    There are a lot of guitar players using modeling gear since day 1 and it's a great experience to play via a loud nice tube amp next to you.
    In the end are we all after this sound - we all try to model or profile great tube amps.

The difference between other modelers I used and the KPA is:
    After spending hour and hour tweaking I thought - great tone - the next day when I compared to my tube amps I did not like the sound of the other modelers.

The KPA sounds CAN sound like a great tube amp next to you - and that is the sound I love - and for this do I need special profiles and large speakers vs. profiles sounding like miked amps - which is also fine when you are after this.

... buy a KPA!

Since I bought the KPA did I NOT got any other TubeAmp, Modeller not even a new guitar - the Kemper has this much options!
    In addition did I got rid of all my other digital modelers (AxeFx II, Line6 HD500, H&K Zentera, Torpedo VB101).

The end of GAS?

Maybe.

(All I want is a footcontroller :D )

So, can anyone speak about rigs purchased from Armin? I'm especially curious about the non-traditional guitar amp stuff.

Hi 'Zerocrossing',
    you find some comments about my profiles in case you use the forum search feature - I may add a 'user comments' page to my homepage in the next time.

Here some examples:

Bechti

Hi Armin, great job ! I love your last profiles! Bought the whole bunch and they are the best profiles I have on my KPA so far! However, the profiles give me the same love/hate relation I had with my real JVM. It sounds like a modern Marshall, but I would prefer the old ones, like JTM45, JCM800, also a nice Fender Twin Reverb and a Tonemaster profile would be great. I'm hoping you can add some of these classic amps. However, I'm looking forward to the Mark V profile.

--------------

chopeth

Hi my friend ! How are things? I write to you because i want to tell you " thank you so much ! ", the jvm profile is BY FAR the best profile i have found in the net ! ( even better than xxxxx profiles ) I must recognize that, at the beginning , i was afraid of waste my money ( 20,60 euros is a little " important" amount ) but when i tested the profiles...incredible ! I had a marshall jvm 215 combo and sometimes i have missed it but, since i have your profiles, i don't remember anything about it hahahaha…. Inmediately, i'm going to buy the modena profile

Cheers !

--------------

sheguitarplayer

Really nice profiles armin, thanks.

It's great to play a real tube amp from time to tiime - it's like listening to records instead of compressed mp3's - I love booth!

If you only own modelers or the KPA - you will be shocked if you play a, great, real tube amp, next to you - and loud.

Will the KPA kill tube amps?
    I don't think so - it's about the same as with the Variax guitar - after owning it - I liked some models so much - that I wanted to own the real thing too.

Most profiles sound like recorded tube amps - while the real amp pumps so much air.

Can we come close to the real thing?
    Yes, close - if special profiles are used (created to sound close to the amp in the room vs. miked amp) - and if you use large speakers.

btw. I have sold a lot of amps - only 7 tube amps are left - no new ones bought since I own the KPA.
    And modelers?
    I have sold all - the KPA is the only digital amp left.

I agree. I understand you want to be compensated for your work, but this section is called "Rig and Profile Exchange". I wholeheartedly agree with giving donations for someones time and contributions, but commercial advertising should be done elsewhere.

I talked to the Kemper guys at Music Messe this year - and they said they have no problems with both free and commercial profiles.

It's a lot of work the way I do it and I spend the money to buy some additional microphones, preamp ... they where used in the other profile sets and so on ....

From today (Dec 17, 2022 - Dec 25, 2022) - we offer a special 50% off 'Christmas Sale'.

How it works:

1) Simply order via our homepage any number of profiles.

https://www.soundside.de/shop/…-profiles-custom-shop.htm

2) After your purchase send us an eMail with the profile packs you like to get for free!

(The eMail must be send before Dec 26)

Note:
    For each ordered profile pack you can claim on free pack - enjoy!
    The ordered profiles are an instand download - the free profiles may take up to 48hour until we send them to you.

More than 10 years ago (January 20, 2012) we sold the first Soundside Profile Pack.

We say a big THANK YOU to all our customers!

We "invented" the idea of commercial profiles - and there was a lot of discussion about this topic.

(As you can see in the first posts here).

During the years we created more than 80 profile packs.

Profiles from all kinds of great amps - and even more are is to come in 2023.

Get ALL Soundside profile packs as a complete bundle for a very special price.

This offer can only ordered directly from us (not via the homepage).

If you like to get ALL Soundside profile packs send us an email for instructions.

In case you are new to Soundside profile packs:

Create your own custom shop bundle and save 50% on the second and additional packs.

Check out our homepage for:
    Soundsamples and more information

http://www.soundside.de

But if I'd just waited a couple of days I would only pay 5$ more to get the 30 profiles...
    If it continues like this an should have waited some weeks more and get the next amp profiles also in the bundle so I would also save on the new amp profiles. For each update I now loose the 35% rebate just because I bought earlier...

I get your point and look for a solution.