Posts by Burkhard

Thanks for your detailed response!

Under which conditions do you think a relation between a module and a preset breaks?

Only if another preset gets loaded into that module?

Or also, if the effect type gets changed e. g. from Phaser to Phaser OneWay while all the parameter settings are maintained?

Never, if just parameters get tweaked, even if the character of the effect, preferences and options get changed completely?

If that preset itself gets deleted or slightly changed?

If you load Aqualong, change the Mix from "Post" to "Pre", deactivate "To Tempo", change Mix, Feedback, Low Cut and Hi Cut, Reverse Mix, Chorus, Flutter Intensity and Ducking, is it still Aqualong*?

I agree with you, that this request seems to be originated in the fundamental misunderstanding of some users, that presets are types, which they are not. We are aware, that some users never use the TYPE knob to select effects, but just use the BROWSE knob instead - exclusively. So, they are using the given preset names of the factory presets for their effect orientation and never get familiar with the effect type names and the algorithms as such as described in the Main Manual . If you select your effect type, you have your reference. The revision of the effect selection screen will make the difference between type and preset more obvious - hopefully.

What would be the real value of the information "Module A with a Wah Wah is based on the preset "Wah Cry" but has been modified"? All you really know for sure is, it's a Wah Wah. You know that anyhow. Plus: The preset "Wah Cry" could have been deleted in the meantime. Or in that new software revision you could have modified and replaced that preset. Or the Rig could have been exported/imported to another PROFILER, where that preset doesn't even exist. Please don't insist to use presets as pseudo types.

You can't! There are effect types and there are effect presets. A preset is no type. A preset is an effect type plus all its settings plus its on/off state. As soon as you change any settings like the Mix or Ducking or turn the effect on or off, what you hear is not the preset anymore. The effect type is what stays and is always reflected in the display. The effect preset with its given name is just another more effective way to dial in an effect with all its settings. But like editing settings manually it's a one off.

An effect preset includes the type of the effect, all its settings, and its on/off-status! So, already activating or deactivating the module breaks the logical relationship to the preset. The life time of such a logical relationship would probably be much shorter than what requesters have in mind.

And what should happen, if the preset gets deleted? Or what if the preset gets modified - "preset replace/store as/rename" will be introduced in the near future. Or should all this be referencing? In other words you modify one Rig, the underlying presets get modified, other Rigs and Performances linked to the same presets get modified as well automatically?

I suggest to keep things simple. A preset is just a convenient method to select an effect type and all its settings. It's a one off like dialing in settings manually. Just more convenient. I'm not aware that any other comparable device offers such module or section presets. What others call presets are our Rigs. And the information about the effect type as such is maintained.

Beside cables ... do a bit more analysis:

Does the INPUT LED reflect your playing?

Does the OUTPUT LED indicate a signal?

What are volumes and sources of the relevant outputs - the outputs you use for monitoring?

If you are using the internal power amp, that needs to be activated, Monitor Output Volume up and Monitor Output Source set to for example "Master Mono".

Any pedals connected or MIDI involved to control volume? Check the level of Volume Pedal on page "Pedal Links" in System Settings.

This aspect won't change in the new preset management: There is no link between a Rig and the presets that might have been used to assemble it from Input to module REV. An effect preset is just a convenient way to select an effect type and dial in all its parameter settings. It's a one-off like dialing in parameters manually. There is no ongoing reference between the Rig and the preset. If you build a Rig using selective browse, locking or copy/paste there is also no logical reference to the source. An effect preset even includes the on/off state of the effect. As soon as you switch the effect module on or off or adjust the Mix or Ducking a bit, what you see and hear doesn't reflect the preset anymore. So, the life time of a logical link between an effect module in a Rig and the preset originally loaded might be much shorter than what people think.

I'm not aware, that any other comparable product offers presets on a module and section level. I think it's a great tool. If you think it's a disaster, don't use it;). If you think, the list of presets it too long, delete those you don't need.

The DIRECT OUT can either be paired with the MONITOR OUTPUT or be used for an effect loop, not both at the same time. If you wouldn't use guitar cabs and wouldn't need to switch off the cabinet simulation selectively you could use the HEADPHONE OUT for monitoring instead. But with your guitar cabs you have to choose.

Not sure, why you want to have backups on separate USB memory sticks!?

Backup names show the owner name and a time stamp. Of you enter different owner names in both devices, you can immediately distinguish which backup is from which device. You could also change the file name of the backup to something which is more meaningful as long as you leave the extension as is.

Backups can be exchanged between both devices. For full compatibility both devices should run the same operating system.

I would first focus on how you navigate from one Slot to the next while editing the MIDI program changes within each of the Slots.

If you do this via the RIG navigation cross on the front panel, the edits should be maintained until you leave the Performance without storing it.

If you do this via the Rig Buttons of the Remote or via MIDI, the edits are withdrawn as soon as you load another Slot.

The logic behind is explained in the Main Manual. While you edit better stick to the front panel controls.

It's not clear which "tempo soft knob" you are referring to. Where, in which menu?

Generally, you can enable and disable Tempo on a Rig level. So, Rig A in Slot 1 could have Tempo enabled and Rig B in Slot 2 could have Tempo disabled. There is a chapter in the Main Manual dedicated to the mechanics of Tempo.

Generally, functions are greyed out, if they are currently inactive because of other selections.

While studio gear (monitor speakers, mixing desks, …) usually has a dB scale, guitar gear often has no scale at all e. g. my old Groove Tubes guitar amp or a Yamaha THR 10. You just have a knob with a bar or a dot for your orientation and crank this up or down if you need more or less and judge with your ears or you visually remember a particular position e. g. "nine o'clock". A Marshall JVM has a scale with minimum=1 and maximum=10 but only bars in between. So, practically you don't memorize and dial in the value "5.5", but place the knob into the "one o'clock" position that you visually remember. With Master Volume you have both options: You see the dB scales as well as a bars for visual orientation. ;)

I'm afraid, users might opt for the 1-10 scale for the wrong reasons. You might think 1-10 is simple, because you think, it's an absolute indication of output volume, which it is not. It's not like the pot on your guitar. Master Volume +3 for example is not consistently representing the same level of MAIN OUTPUT and MONITOR OUPUT. Then we are back to the point, where users think, their hardware is broken, because their MONITOR OUTPUT is still muted while their Master Volume rests at +3. Last time MONITOR OUTPUT was much louder at Master Volume +2. If you really wanted to know, which level your MAIN OUTPUT was sending to FOH, you had to check Main Output Volume, which always had a negative scale in dB.

Looking around me I see audio equipment either with a dB scale or with no scale at all, but just an optical indication. Master Volume as it is offers both.

In the past the Master Volume scale 1-10 had very often been misinterpreted as a reference of absolute output volume, which it is not. It caused a lot of confusion. From my perspective, the perceived value of this scale is based on a misunderstanding.

Since we have the new bar screen, which clearly shows, how the individual output volumes relate to Master Volume, I've not seen one single case of irritation.