Posts by Burkhard

While studio gear (monitor speakers, mixing desks, …) usually has a dB scale, guitar gear often has no scale at all e. g. my old Groove Tubes guitar amp or a Yamaha THR 10. You just have a knob with a bar or a dot for your orientation and crank this up or down if you need more or less and judge with your ears or you visually remember a particular position e. g. "nine o'clock". A Marshall JVM has a scale with minimum=1 and maximum=10 but only bars in between. So, practically you don't memorize and dial in the value "5.5", but place the knob into the "one o'clock" position that you visually remember. With Master Volume you have both options: You see the dB scales as well as a bars for visual orientation. ;)

I'm afraid, users might opt for the 1-10 scale for the wrong reasons. You might think 1-10 is simple, because you think, it's an absolute indication of output volume, which it is not. It's not like the pot on your guitar. Master Volume +3 for example is not consistently representing the same level of MAIN OUTPUT and MONITOR OUPUT. Then we are back to the point, where users think, their hardware is broken, because their MONITOR OUTPUT is still muted while their Master Volume rests at +3. Last time MONITOR OUTPUT was much louder at Master Volume +2. If you really wanted to know, which level your MAIN OUTPUT was sending to FOH, you had to check Main Output Volume, which always had a negative scale in dB.

Looking around me I see audio equipment either with a dB scale or with no scale at all, but just an optical indication. Master Volume as it is offers both.

In the past the Master Volume scale 1-10 had very often been misinterpreted as a reference of absolute output volume, which it is not. It caused a lot of confusion. From my perspective, the perceived value of this scale is based on a misunderstanding.

Since we have the new bar screen, which clearly shows, how the individual output volumes relate to Master Volume, I've not seen one single case of irritation.

I guess, what you see is the following: By default the Volume Pedal in heel position activates the Tuner Mode and if it's then moved towards toe position leaves the Tuner Mode and returns to the mode selected with the chicken-head e. g. Browser Mode. This even happens while you calibrate.

I suggest you enter Tuner Mode and disable "Tuner@Volume 0" temporarily, then check if the bar of Volume Pedal on page Pedal Links in System Settings is moving from minimum (heel) to maximum (toe), then - if you want - reactivate "Tuner@Volume 0".

Like the TAP button on the front panel the LED of the TAP button on the Remote only blinks, if Tempo is enabled in the Rig currently loaded. That can be done in Rig Settings on page "Tempo" as well as by simply pushing one of the TAP buttons. Normally, you want to push multiple times to tap in the intended tempo or hold the button to activate Beat Scanner, which detects the tempo for you.

Before you decide to disable this button on the Remote or assign another function you should read the chapter "Tempo" in the Main Manual and consider, if these functions could be useful for you.

There is no audio signal flowing through that Ethernet cable, just control signals. Look at it as another front panel. Don't try to detach the front panel to achieve a better sound. The CPU of your TV also has to deal with the infrared signals of the remote control. And the CPU is not the DSP.

True, the assignments are linked to the module. And effect presets don't include those assignments as these can universally be used across all modules.

If an effect preset would include an assignment e. g. to Effect Button II, what should happen, if you load this preset and Effect Button II has already other assignments? Should it overwrite other assignments to other modules? Or should it just add the new assignment? What if Effect Button II is already fully booked with four assignments? We are trying to stay away from this rat hole.

As mentioned before there are other ways to maintain the assignments.

If you copy/paste a complete Slot, it does include the Effect Button I-IIII assignments, even if multiple modules are assigned to the same button. Afterwards you just selectively browse the Stack and maintain all the effect modules with their assignments.

If you lock the Stomps Section and/or Effects Section it also maintains the assignments, if there is not more than one assignment per Effect Button.

If you activate "Monitor Stereo" you could run your guitar cabs in stereo. "Monitor Stereo" pairs MONITOR OUTPUT and DIRECT OUTPUT. "Monitor Cab. Off" is then applied to both. The MONITOR OUTPUT feeds the internal power amp, so SPEAKER OUTPUT is one side. And DIRECT OUTPUT feeds your external power amp and is the other side.

And then you still have the MAIN OUPUT to send another stereo (or mono) signal including speaker simulation to FOH.