Posts by pacocito

1. The KPA is an amp.
    2. Like many amplifiers it is not perfect either.

None of my amps is perfect, but in all of them I can dial some settings that the KPA can't profile and those settings sound awesome.

Trying to convince me that more than one stage distorting is not good will not work. I've been stacking overdrives pedals for more than 30 years and my favourite amp (a Dumble style amp) sounds awesome when you find the good combination of clean channel gain -> overdrive channel -> the power amp.

A Fuzz Face with both controls at full into a not so clean Marshall with the guitar volume down to taste is another good example of two significantly distorting stages and it sounds awesome and has been recorded by many guitarists.

Because, you can already profile any multitude of amps at any setting with any powertube.

Not any amp can be profiled. It's something known and it's in the the KPA manual.

Besides that, not any settings can be succesfully profiled (multiple stages distorting). Many amps use cascading gain stages to get their characteristic sound and some settings on those amps (some of them awesome) cannot be accurately profiled. This is probably why I never liked any Trainwreck or Dumble profile I tried.

Could stacked overdrives into a not so clean amp be profiled?

Can you please clarify whether the handful of profiles you chose also exhibit the undesirable qualities ? I know you say "all" but I'm just trying to understand.

The KPA is the best digital amp, period. I've been using it for 5 years and half, profiling amps, started a very active spanish speaking community and made hundreds of demos and convinced and helped many users there. I have been a KPA enthusiast since the begining. To those that affirm that the KPA doen't sound good enough to be use in a professional context, try to profile a real good amp and you will be convinced.

So I'm no troll when I say that the "congestion" issue exists and you don't need to push the power amp and preamp as much as some people think.

My main amp, a Fuchs ODS sounds much better pushing both preamp and power amp to a point that produces that effect when profiling. This happened to me with some other amps too. Those profiles are very good, of course, and sound much better than any Dumble emulation in other digital amps, but I always tend to use the real amp. I would love to see that issue improved but I understand that 99% of the people are already happy and they have other priorities when asked about KPA evolution.

Regarding the way some people communicates here, always take into account that this is an international and muticultural environment and that English is not the main language for some of us (we speak two languages where I live and English is the third one we learn at school). What is acceptable in one country can be really offensive in others.

i really don't feel understood at all at this point ... it is honestly pretty frustrating by now ...

i think i just have to get the two notes torpedo (which has the poweramp sim in it) and compare the sounds ...
    maybe that sais more then a 1000 words

You can try the Torpedo plugin without spending a lot of money. I use the Torpedo in combination with a tube preamp.

Pete Thorn performed a direct A/B comparison of a Suhr SL68 into a mic'd up Suhr 1x12 closed back cabinet without the Suhr Reactive load and then with the Suhr Reactive Load and an IR he captured of the very same mic'd cab. The differences were negligible to the point of irrelevancy:

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Posted the same video 3 posts above. As you say, the differences are irrelevant. The Fryette is very good too.

Here is a demo comparing some passive and reactive loads with the real amp. Goto 16:07. He is using different loads and the chain after the load is the same in all the clips.

External Content youtu.be
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

By the way, the KPA does change the amps sound too...

There's a major difference and compromise, clarity and high frequencies will be compromised with any attenuator.

I compared a Suhr ReactiveAl Load vs a real speaker load with one of my amps before buying one and sold my Grossman Isobox becase the Suhr sounds awesome. All reactive loads sound different and they have different impedance curves, but the same happens with different speakers.

I sold my KPA and now I'm using three tube amps with the Suhr.

You can't compare with that update because no one did a valid A/B test then. This is not the case now.

Just profile something and compare what I suggested some posts above. Have you ever profiled something?

I've been thinking, this subject reminds me of the Boss GT-10 cocked wah issue but on a much smaller scale. When I first got the GT-10 I took it to a jam session and the other guitarist said it sounded like the wah pedal was stuck on and he was right. Ever since then I could hear that cocked wah sound in most presets that had a fair amount of gain, the sound was stuck in my head and it drove me crazy. On the GT Central forum (is that the right name?) it was a very hot and disputed topic, people who didn't hear the cocked wah thought we were crazy, the discussions got very heated at times, they eventually created a sub forum just for cocked wah discussions.

Now the tables have turned, people are complaining about an issue with the KPA that I don't hear. At least a couple of you said that you hear the issue in my profiles, but I just don't hear it. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that you don't hear something, I'm just saying that I don't hear it and I've been thinking that I don't want to hear it because if I do then it will be stuck in my head like the GT-10 cocked wah was and I'll never be able to get rid of it.

Anyway, I hope that makes sense and I wish you guys the best of luck getting this issue fixed.

Hi! I think that you would identify what we are hearing playing a Dsus2 using the first 4 strings. Arpegiate it and let the strings ring. E and D open strings. Change from profile to real amp and compare.

Thank you! I think Splawn amps are very underrated, this is the first amp I've ever bought where when I first got it I simply set all the tone controls at noon and hit a power chord and was floored by the tone, it's really hard to get a bad tone out of this thing.
    Anyway, if you hear any of the issues discussed in this thread in these profiles let me know, maybe we can do some more tests to help narrow it down.

I have always loved your profiles but I could hear that effect in the highs in your profiles too...

This is probably my last access to the private section of the forum as I sold the KPA yesterday.

It's been a pleasure. Enjoy your KPAs and keep this thread constructive. There is something to improve at those frequencies and the criticality of the issue depends on each person.

Un saludo!
    Paco

People, DO NOT put a DI box between your amp and cab before checking it can handle the voltage.

You need to buy a DI box or dummy load that can handle the wattage which is a $200 investment by minimum. You can't use just any $10 di box off the shelf, it's likely you'll destroy the box and your amp. Most DI boxes have been built to handle signal levels (0.1V-1V), not 100W power amps. Want to be safe? Get a load box with line out, like a Hot Plate, and put that between your amp and cab.

Kemper's DI price is 90€

I don't and I've spent a lot of time alongside engineers recording guitars. If he thinks there's modulation, tell him to whip out a phase correlation meter and demonstrate it.

He doesn't have a KPA and no one will pay him to do any tests. Mine is probably going to be sold in a few days as there are some potential buyers already in contact so no more tests and no more private section of this forum (and probably no more public section too).

Maybe I'll come back in the future.

Only the developers are 100% certain of anything regarding how the KPA works, but a signal that's 'out of phase' requires two waveforms. Yes, even a modulated signal(which is simply the addition of the original signal delayed slightly). It's not hard to identify a phase issue if you know what it sounds like. The sonic differences between the original amp and profile sound nothing like an out of phase signal. For example, listen to a recording of two amp / cab blocks in an Axe FX II panned hard right / left in mono and you'll understand perfectly well what a phase issue sounds like. This isn't a phase issue. Out of phase signals are easy to identify if you know what they actually sound like.

I know what kind of phase issue are you talking about. I detect a drop in the amplitude and sounds like modulation to me.

Unless you've created a comb filter via your mic setup while profiling, phase shouldn't be an issue.

So you are completely sure that the algorithm that the Kemper uses to process the signal is not introducing a modulation issue at those frequencies. It 's completely impossible because you know very well how the KPA is processing the signal.