Posts by ba_hill

If your interface is set to internal clock that is likely the problem. Internal is setting the interface to be the master. Since the Kemper must be the master (and you can have only one master clock) your interface should be set to slave or external clock.

I have experienced this too and I'm pretty sure it's because "Monitor Cab Off" doesn't remove 100% of the cab from the rig. I haven't found a solution. I think the only real solution will be a firmware upgrade that allows us to completely disable the cab on the monitor output while retaining it on the main outs. As far as I know that has not been promised though.

Power Sag changes the feel much more than it affects the sound. It makes the amp feel like it "sags" a bit when you strum or pick hard.

If you're playing a fairly distorted tone you should notice some difference in the sound when you turn up the Tube Shape control. It's not a huge difference but the sound should brighten up a bit and become a little edgier.

Paco, gracias for the information. Yes the manual says what the parameters 'Tube Shape' and 'Power Sagging' do (or are supposed to do), but it doesn't say why if I tweak them nothing happens to the sound coming from the KPA..
    Have you tried to tweak the power sagging ?Mine doesn't do anything. I can't hear any difference at all.
    The tube shape also doesn't do anything. But that's probably because is effective only in circumstances as the one you've mentioned above.

Muchas Gracias :D

Are you hearing on recorded tracks or only when you're actually playing? If you record a track and don't hear it when you play that track back it's probably just phasing caused by the difference in time between hearing the acoustic sound of your guitar and the output of the Kemper.

An update! I found out it wasn't the delay effect causing the phasing issue. In fact, it seems any time I play any of the upper strings on my guitar, the whole profile seems to acquire this subtle phasing effect. I have tried refining the profile more, and less...with the same exact result. Can anyone lend advice as to what may be going wrong here? It happens with both stock profiles and with profiles I've made.

I'd like to add my vote to this request. I've been setting up for my first club gig with the KPA. It's at place with a decent front of house system but not particularly good monitors. That's typical of the places I play. I had hoped to use a clean power amp and guitar cab to monitor the KPA and send the main outputs to the house system but I can't get a sound I'm happy with going to the power amp and cab unless I turn off the cab section in the KPA and run the main out to the power amp and cab. Then I don't have the speaker on to send to the house system. The same is true if I use a DI profile and a "blank" cab. Please give those of us who like to use the KPA live the option to completely turn off cabs on the monitor out while having the full rig on the main outs.

Thanks,

Brian

I like ribbon mics for recording electric guitar and the MXL R144 (formerly R44) is decent and inexpensive. It's roughly $100USD online. At least one, maybe a couple, of the factory profiles were done with this mic. Ribbons have very smooth midrange but rolled off high end so they're not great on everything but they do get used often for horns, for drum overheads and sometimes for vocals.

Brian

I haven't had a chance to test this yet but a dot at the beginning of a filename means to hide that file in some filesystems. That may be true of the Kemper filesystem as well.

I had trouble getting close when profiling a small, single-ended tube amp I've got. After profiling and refining I turned up the Clarity control a bit and that seemed to bring out some of the complexity in the midrange that was missing. You might give that a try.

Cool. It isn't that the profiles don't sound good, it's just that they don't really sound like my Vox. Wondering why this particular amp is giving the KPA some difficulty, that's all.

Yes, I tried it will several of Till's cabs as well as one of Fischer's cabs. The bass is pretty big and potentially woofy (the real amp is that way) so you can either pair it will a cab that isn't boomy or roll back the gain a little. That'll tighten up the bass. It should work pretty well with a H55. I normally use the Marshall with a 2x12 with a G12H30 and a Greenback in it. I haven't yet had a chance to try my KPA through a power amp/cab setup but I will tomorrow. I'm hopeful that this profile will work well with that.

Brian

Neat, so this should go well with external power amp and cab? (I have a 1x12 with a Scumback H55 that mates well with Marshall-esque amps). Have you tested using any of Tills' 1960 cabinets in the KPA?

Hi,

I uploaded a DI profile of my Marshall 50 watt Plexi issue. The amp was set to be on the edge of breakup so it cleans up nicely when you pick softly or roll your volume control back a bit. It gets crunchy when you pick harder but it's definitely not a high gain amp. Try it with a vintage Marshall cab if you're looking for a late 60's to mid 70's vibe.

Brian