Posts by eatapeach

What about the rigs? Did you guys find anything useful for you?

YES - many many thanks.

Do you know if there is a SSS profile out there anywhere? I'm fighting to get that huge clanging tone and think it needs one of the clones profiling to get close - think

• Two Rock Custom Clean
      Two Rock Sterling Sig
      High Plains Drifter Bludotone
      Quinn King Tone Consoul
      Welagen
      Ceriatone SSS
      van weelden Twinkleland
      Sebago Texas Flood

I think Clover amps in Italy do a Dxmble clone - but it's an ODS not a SSS...

Here's my list:

Komet

Mats N

Got a Komet 60 here to profile - I'll get round to it

Anyone got a SSS clone to profile?
    I'm thinking

• Two Rock Custom Clean
    • Two Rock Sterling Sig
    • Bludotone High Plains Drifter
    • Quinn King Tone Consoul
    • Welagen
    • Ceriatone SSS
    • van weelden "twinkleland"
    • Sebago Texas Flood

There's also an Italian guy making Clover amps - D clones but I don't know much about them

cheers

The K. Model is a Kay Model 703 1962:
    This is a profile I made of a vintage amp I used when I recorded with the late virtuoso blues harp player Jr. Wells.
    It has a perfect funky, dirty Chicago blues sound that the Kemper profiled exact!

That is the standout rig in this pack - many many thanks Bill!

I couldn't work out what the 703 cab was - now I know!

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome and kind words. This is the first forum I've participated in, primarily because of the positive vibe here. Glad some people have enjoyed the profiles. I definitely want to get better at creating them...
    I LOVE my BlackJack, and IMHO that amp is a 5-star amp, but I noticed the voting/rating my profiles got were more like 3-4 stars...which means I need to get better at profiling.

I don't think you should worry - a lot of the files people rave about and give high stars leave me kind of cold....lots and lots of high gain stuff that to me sounds like the 50 profiles I just deleted. So far I just have profiled one amp and it got 3 stars. I think, and to my ears it sounds just like the amp itself. It is a very dry profile ie no post adding of reverb, delay etc etc which lots of profiles seem to do. Other people will add a different cab as well, and these are the profiles that seem to get the plaudits.

I do think there are best ways to profile and until I learn these I won't be selling any amps, but getting 5 stars won't be part of the decision process. As HK said the stars isn't about the profiling itself - we have no idea what the amp sounds like 99% of the time. And when people start putting drives in front or in the loop it becomes even less about the amp itself.

I have also wondered if people are totally honest in what they say regarding the amps. I think this is a good forum, but as it grows I wonder if we'll get people playing the forum fame game and being creative with their descriptions in the rig exchange. For example I have 2 Trainwreck type amps here, a Komet and a Red Iron Trex. I bet I can find real Trainwreck clips somewhere and get one of my amps to within 95%. Now, if I was to say it was a real 'wreck and I'd had chance to spend time with it, only a very few people would be able to question that. And, I'm sure no one would be able to say it doesn't sound like a Trainwreck. And, I'm sure it would get more downloads and stars than if it was labelled just a clone. A bit of an extreme example maybe but you get my point....

Btw one of the amps I have to profile is a Lucky 7 - the little brother of your Blackjack! Great amps....

Hey

is there a way I can just go right to my posts to see any replies... I seem to have to search the whole list to find my original questions each time... am I missing something that allows me to find my posts quicker

steve 8o

Click on your username at the top left of the forum - that will take you to your public profile box
    At the bottom of the box is a row with the number of posts you have made (and avg per day)
    Click that and you see your posts in reverse order

cheers - good advice

The tags are the one of the profile it was on before to switch to profile mode. Handy when making multiple profiles of an amp, no need to fill everything everytime

ah - that explains it. Very handy indeed.

For a moment I thought it was doing tone matching........ 8)

Oh no!

Sorry to see you go, but look on the positive side and we look forward to seeing you again soon with a new Kemper under your arm. Will you get a black one next time? Onwards onwards.....

Works MUCH better because I don't hear the original amp coloring the original sound through the kemper when profiling

Is thought that was the whole point? Or do you mean when you do an A/B comparison with the KPA playing out through monitors and the original amp on it's own?

Anyway - great post! I'm trying not to spend more money on equipment (single SM57 here) but I know I need the mixer / different mikes for the best results. As my aim is to sell amps afterwards I think it would be easier to get studio time rather than buy more recording stuff to have to sell off afterwards.

Just read the Fractal Profiling thread. They have a Sine Wave sweep function as an added third voice in the built-in synth. They claim to be able to "profile" by sweeping a real amp with a varying sine wave from 20hz to 20khz. I doubt its the same because they are only capturing the frequency response, not the distortion waveform characteristics. I'm sure it improves the realism...but its an eq patch on preamp and cabinet models unless I'm missing something. They want true profiling so bad they can taste it....lol.

bd

On TGP there is a post about tone matching, where the Axe is used to tone match a viola based on a clip from Youtube. It gets based on an inbuilt synth block in the Axe. The results are in the ball park, but not exactly tone matched. The claim is that the result is "much more natural now".

Hang on a minute - this guy hasn't been within 500 metres of a viola, so how can he say it's more natural now? I'm sure it's a great tool and will have some good results, but the level of fanboy excitement is ridiculous.

Almost brand new - packaged in box with manual drivers etc etc - I just ended up with two the same. Great USB interface. Thomann price is 283 euros, my price is 200 Euros plus postage.
    It's got s/pdif
    PM me your email address and I can send pictures.

Here is something I haven't come across - or seen mentioned on here or in the manual. I profiled an amp, and said it was a clean amp. Kemper didn't agree and said it was distorted. No problem - refined it and when it came to store it - it had another rig details already in the profile fields. Did I miss something? What does it choose - the last used stock profile or a tone matched one?