Posts by ampjunkie

Thanks again :)

I've read that you can mechanically set the pedal to accommodate two approaches, "seated" and "standing": for what I've grabbed, it should change the pedal's physical excursion, allowing to choose "the first" or "the last" portion or its range of movement. Have you tried it?

:)

I have not tried it as I use the default which is seating position (I think).

Here are my comments on your questions on the Yamaha FC7:
    * The spring does not get in the way. I really don't feel it, don't see it. So I don't know if it can be removed.
    * The excursion of the pedal is wide. Some people don't like it, but I do. If you use the KPA's feature where it stops the wah function when you don't move the pedal, it isn't an issue
    * I have not used the fortissimo function with the KPA.
    * No polarity inversion is necessary. Just choose type 2 in the KPA and this sets it correctly (read the manual on this to confirm)
    * I have no issue with calibration and range ... works fine.

I actually read somewhere that Kemper uses a FC7 and it is tested with the KPA.

One thing to note: the TRS cable is physically connected to the pedal and cannot be detached. It is also not too long so that it can be stored in the pedal itself. This could be an issue for some, though it isn't an issue for me since I have both pedals sitting next to the Kemper remote and plugged into it -- and thus the cord distance is not an issue.

I highly recommend the Yamaha FC7 volume control pedal. It's been around for decades which tells you their longevity as a product. They are still made in Japan out of extremely rigid rubber and built like a tank. It has a longer throw than most pedals, but works great with the KPA. I use one for wah and the other for volume, and they both are exceptional. What makes them a real stand out is the price. They can be had for <$40 USD ! So you can buy 2 of these for less than the price of the competition ...

Check it out. Not one but TWO dark Kempers on stage! And Adele with a stunning performance ...

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Getting more on topic, in the united states, why would anyone pay 1450 for AX 8 (including shipping Excluding sales Tax, another hundred dollars) when for roughly one hundred more dollars, you can get the most advanced technology in modeling tube amps by buying the Kemper.

One factor I see that may sway some to use an AX8 is that they highly prefer the form factor of a floorboard controller to a rack or standalone chassis like the Kemper. And if they want to also use it as a MIDI controller for other outboard effects. For the Kemper to do both of these, it would require the KPA+remote which is not cheap, nor can it really act as a complete MIDI controller.

Tonewise of course, it's a different story. I prefer the philosophy and tones from the Kemper! :)

This is where Kemper could really start to shine vs other methods. It may be possible (in theory) to mix multiple profiles, in series or parallel (with mix controls, etc.) then determining how the resultant sound can be created from a single profiler distortion generator (i.e. merged as a single profile, or done on the fly). For other makers like Line6 or Fractal, as you add amps in series and parallel, the computation gets more difficult. That's why you can't keep adding amps without running out of CPU.

For Kemper, once the profiles are known (series or parallel chains, etc.), then if you could determine the new parameters for the profiler (i.e. the merged profile), then you could simulate the chain with the same distortion generator and thus with just a small amount of CPU added. It would be great if Kemper could do this. They would have a significant advantage over other companies.

MFC $649 US on sale on there store. Kemper Remote $599 US on the Kemper store :) That is $50 bucks my friend

I stand corrected on the MFC price. That price just changed recently. I looked at the MFC less than a week ago and it was $750 USD. The Kemper remote I just bought for 419 euros about 2 weeks ago (international store), which works out to $473 USD. No shipping fees, and no taxes. That is a fact. So $473 < $650 by $177 USD ... :)

Either way -- it looks like Kemper pricing for US as well as Fractal pricing for Europe seems to be out of whack with currency exchange rates. There's some arbitrage opportunities here!

Got to tell you I just took a quick look at the Fractal MFC-1 MK II footcontroller and for $50 more US it offers a "hell of a lot" more control and features then the Kemper Remote which I have been struggling with.
    If the AX8 offers at least decent midi features to control other devices I would probably get one to use as a controller and the effects.

Not sure where you got the $50 more. In the US, the MFC is $750. The Kemper is 419 euro (I just bought one direct from Kemper with free shipping too) which converts to $473 USD approximately. That's a difference of $276 USD.

I agree though that the Kemper remote could have more features. I hope in the future that it will be able to do more MIDI commands via FW changes.

And with the main Kemper unit, I also expect (hope!) that via FW, there will be expression pedal control of many parameters and that these can be assignable per rig/performance. Currently, I really don't have a need for these, but I can see why some would want it (for more elaborate control/sounds in a live situation).

My guess is that Fractal did the analysis and decided that the Helix would steal too much market share from the Axe FX II so he had to price the AX8 to be competitive. However, it will be interesting to see how this affects the sales of his product line, as the AX8 sales would certainly eat into the FX8 (seems overpriced now), MFC-101 (not needed if you have the AX8), and the flagship Axe-FX II (expensive for many people who only need a single amp/cab and some effects, and prefer a floor unit).

It will be interesting to see how all this shakes out. Much to the delight of the guitar consumer!

Hey Ampjunkie

I had a post with Cliff about this once on the Fractal forum and at least then, his stated goal was not to continuously strive for more accurate modeling but rather, again at the time, he said that he removed elements in the modeling that…

I stand corrected, though I recall in the beginning it was all about accurate modeling. It isn't surprising that this has shifted. Fractal need to introduce elements and variations in the components in order for the tone to sound better. But in doing so, sometimes old patches have to be recreated.

Please note that I am not saying that the Axe-FX is not capable of great sounds. It clearly has great sounds and effects. But if you read my analysis, I believe Kemper has the edge in flexibility in tone generation because of how he achieves it through black-box modeling as opposed to modeling via circuit simulation and component modeling. There are far more amps that are able to be profiled than can be modeled in FW. And because it's also done at a higher level, I also think Kemper can recreate sounds more efficiently. This is speculation on my part, however, but the HW on the Kemper vs the Fractal seems to bear this out.

Thus, I am not debating the sounds or tone; rather, I am only saying I prefer the Kemper methodology as well as GUI and layout. I also like all the free profiles on the RigExchange, as well as the commercially available profiles from many sources. These seem to be a great bargain compared to buying Ultra-Res IRs from only a single source. :)

Just saw this ...

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/…on/105021-ax-8-price.html

At this price point, 8-10 effects and one amp/cab path -- this is competitively priced $100 less than the Helix. It may come down to how close Line6 can get their sounds to the Axe-FX. If it's close, than the Helix with it's better GUI, expression pedal, and routing may be worth it. If the sounds are mediocre, then the AX8 would be the better choice.

Axe-FX II XL+ $2200 USD
    Kemper $2000 USD
    Floor models:
    AX8: $1399 USD
    Line6 Helix: $1499 USD

The digital modeling landscape is certainly heating up -- and the consumers win!

Great article.
    I think CabMaker is a tool to convert IR to IIR filter coefficients.Some time ago i was using Matlab do do such transformation. Thats why the Cab files are so small. IIR filters require less computational power and less parameters then IR. But this is only my guess.

Yes, it isn't clear from Kemper's statements or from the available data if Kemper is using IR convolution for the cabinet block or some other method.

The irony is that so many people are caught up with reproduction accuracy, etc. of amps, cabs, etc. I would say that this is not hi-fi reproduction of a live symphony! If the sound can come very close to the original amp and cab -- or perhaps even eclipse it -- then who cares if it's an exact reproduction?

Fractal's mantra is to continouusly strive for more accurate modeling. But if you think about it, this should not always equate to better sound. I can accurately model an amp and it may still sound crappy. Not every Fender, Marshall, VOX, or Mesa amp sounds good ...

Kemper's goal is to reproduce a great sound from an amp and cab that exists and you can hear it. This goal to me is more relevant than more accurate circuit models.

Thanks for the comments. With regards to the Fractal Ultra-res IRs. I only call it snake oil because if indeed Fractal thinks it makes a difference for the IRs to be in length beyond 22ms, then he needs to be using the true IR representation past that length. But according to published reports, the IRs are manipulated beyond a certain frequency and decimated and downsampled. So any accurate representation is compromised because of the need to reduce the computation needed by convolution for such lengths due to hardware limitations in the Axe-FX.

There is a perfect explanation for why a DAW plugin running a longer length IR may sound "better" than one truncated and running in the Axe-FX. The longer one is clearly capturing aspects not only of the cab but the environment and room. This may subjectively sound "better." However, take the same truncated IR and use the Axe-FX or some other plugin, then post-process with a high quality suitable reverb (allowing room reflections, early reflections, etc.) and you might be surprised at the result.

You can use IRs to capture the cab, the room, or both. I believe cab IRs don't need to be as long as Fractal says to capture the cab sound contribution. Fractal do argue that using longer IRs allow better low frequency resolution for stuff like 80 Hz and below. The low E string is at 82 Hz on a guitar. However, it's common when recording to employ a high pass filter at such frequencies on electric guitars to clean up muddiness. Even if there's some energy at that those frequencies, I don't think they contribute significantly to the positive aspect of the sound.

All this is debatable I believe (sound often is!), and I have not seen any definitive analysis on the subject. The key point is that if you are going to use IRs that go out to 170 ms like Fractal says, then they should be the true representation. For Fractal, they aren't.

Personally for me, using 20ms IRs for the cab and other post processing SW for the reverb work fine and sound great. Just listen to the Kemper! :) Or listen to a Lexicon reverb. There are plenty of reverbs that actually sound better than convolution reverb. Lexicon reverbs are proof of that. to And in the end -- it's the sound that matters -- not necessarily recreating the sound exactly like it would sound in some specific acoustic space, which is what convolution reverbs do best.

Scott is a part owner of TGP but doesn't moderate the digital/modeling subforum. I'd be shocked if any bans were for anything other than outright rules violations. I've been a member since 2002, and before that when it was the PRS forum. Scott has his biases, as do we all, but I've never seen him show any lack of integrity.

I'd say if you were part owner of a forum -- you are well beyond a moderator and can pretty much do whatever you want in any of the sub-forums.

SP's posts these days are not as bad as before. You have to read his posts carefully. Regarding glowing posts of anything non-Fractal, he'll say that sounds/tones are subjective and opinions are just that, etc. etc. Then he'll subtlely stick in his opinion and phrase it like a fact. :) And of course, each Fractal FW is a "gamechanger." Just like his opinions were of his choice of monitors. Look back at the history. First it was QSC which was so awesome, then RCF, now CLR. Google it and you will see. He's no longer credible in my opinion.

TGP is full of guys like this. There's a guitar guy named Matt who is similar. Every new, wildly expensive guitar he gets is the best. Then a few months later, it goes on the Emporium and he gets a new toy. Sponsors should have probably wised up on giving him free stuff.

It isn't just the Axe-FX that there are biases for on TGP. Way back, when Ceriatone hit the market with his awesome clone amp kits, there was a huge backlash from people in the US -- who were basically doing the same thing (cloning Dumble amps, etc.). It was brutal. And racist too. And the moderators/owners did nothing. Even though Fuchs, Bludo, Two-Rock, etc. -- almost all boutique amp makers in the States do the same thing -- clone amps. They had to defend their over-priced products, and used TGP to do it with no repercussions.

I am not saying TGP is full of junk like this. It can be a very useful and informative forum. But newbies should be careful of the opinions and advice given as they don't know the history of some of its zealots.