Posts by Spid

Hi Guys,

I'm almost ready to buy my Kemper (I actually wait on the Rack version and hopping it will have both Stomps external loop and Effects stereo loops :) ) and I was wondering, since a PowerAmp is apparently already in discussion, if Kemper will ever release a FRFR Cab to go and match perfectly with the Kemper with PowerAmp option?

That way you can just grab your Kemper, the Cab and later the Foot Controller and you're ready to go...

If not, what FRFR Cab and PowerAmp do you recommend?

I never used FRFR cab and I was wondering if a Kemper with a FRFR Amp&Cab and a, let's say a Rectifier profile, will sound as real as a real Rectifier with a cab? From everything I heard so far, it looks like it sounds great for tracking, recording... where you have a limited sound (limited by the mic type, position, room, pre-amp, etc...). But when you really play an Amp, it sounds more full than the sound you will have on a record. Is there any way to get that feeling too with a Kemper? If yes, with what kind of setup?

I know, two questions in one post, but I think they're related :)

Thanks,
    Phil

I think, spids design and ideas are really nice (switching between stomps and fx-section with one button). :thumbup:

Thanks buddy, I'm just trying to "illustrate" some ideas and thoughts I can read over here... after all, a picture is worth a thousand words :)

However I will use my Voodoo Lab GCP, I want to switch anything on and off with one step.
    I use the Kemper live now, have 6 Rigs, nothing more, but switch every Stomp or the EFX/Boosts, etc...

I know that feeling, it's exactly what I would also like to do.

Here's an illustration of a 3 rows version (with Effects on top):

[Blocked Image: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7215/7351217556_d0764d1d94_b.jpg]

And here's the version with the Effects on top:

[Blocked Image: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8013/7351237448_5437b654a6_b.jpg]

The only thing I notice is that there's too much choices and everyone has one and CK already said he wants to keep the KFC simple. That's probably why a 3 rows with 6 or even 7 switches might never happen (I'm hoping for, but it might be just a very small percentage of users thought).

That's also why I'm really considering to build one by myself (well, actually based on the future Mastermind GT and/or from the Livid builder kit). Since I have just some limited knowledge and it's a side project, it would take a lot of time to make it happen, but it would eventually look like that:
    (note the effects and stomps labeling would just be a sticker you can change to your wish... or even have none if you want 8 stomps or 8 effects you can switch with the X/Y selector ;))

[Blocked Image: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8002/7166059487_9a4e7753e4_b.jpg]

But that's surely not what CK will release, so it's out of the question and just shown here as purpose of argumentation of something we're all agree here: No layout will satisfy everyone, regardless how much effort, time and thoughts are put in the KFC. So, it might be better to just stick to an idea and build the thing... all customers will see if it's still good or not for them.

Personally, I'd prefer to see some effort done on the Rack version... I'm still waiting for it :D

My 2 cents,
    Phil

Here's another version (with 2 rows, multi-LEDs, etc...):

[Blocked Image: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8014/7164727537_1f5b17c2fa_b.jpg]

- 4 "Presets/Amp Channels", Boost and Tap on the bottom row
    - 4 Multi-Leds and Bank on the second row
    - Mode, Screen, Loop and Input/Tuner on the top row.

Loop: Would allow to turn on/bypass the external Effect Loop

Input/Tuner: Would allow to select the input type. Press & hold and you mute the input for the Tuner

Mode: you can switch between Stomps and Effects (for the second row switch). Press & Hold and you can choose what you want on the bottom and/or the second row (Rigs, Stomps, Effects, Multi-Actions, etc...). That way, if you want to have 8 Presets, you can... or if you like to have your Stomps on the bottom row... you can have them, etc...etc...

The best thing would be to have 4 Leds for the 4 switches on the bottom row too... (LEDs are cheap :)). And use the LCD display to indicate the type of setting, stomps name, etc...

Just thinking out loud :)

Phil

PS: sorry for the crappy draft, but I did it quickly ;)

I know that is cool to be able to change more than an FX by pressing a single switch, but i much prefere it to be software implemented in the next releases, and having the opportunity to switch any single stomp/fx.

I couldn't agree more on that...

Here's a quick mockup of what you're describing... It's not my first idea, but it would still work fine :)

[Blocked Image: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7245/7164570083_20842bc21e_z.jpg]

If it's still time to vote, I'd go for 6, Rigs and Right :)

At the bottom I'd have a 4 Rigs, Boost and Tap
    At the second row the 4 multi-leds switch and bank
    Top: Screen, Input/Tuner and maybe Looper.

When I mean "RIG", I mainly mean a way to switch between Channels (Presets) from Clean to Crunch, to Drive or Solo, etc...
    When I'll go to a new song, I could just press the next Bank switch and the first Channel will be selected.

I wish we could have "dual-amp" (Rig A and B) to get two different Amp model (for more Channels/Presets) or even to have them together. I don't know if the KPA is capable to run two complete Rig in the same time... if yes, a top left switch to select the Rig A or B would be great. If not, a programable "2nd" switch would still do the trick, to get more choices and perhaps even program the 4 multi-function switch for Pre Stomps by default and then for Post Effects with the 2nd switch activated.

PS: I don't know how "clear" the LCD display could be, but a very bright red Rig number indicator (on the left side of the display), just like the G-System, would be great to quickly read it, even from distance.

Just thinking out loud...

Phil

It's probably because the User Manual needs to be in English AND French... It's a legal obligation to export anything in Canada.

But if it's the only problem, I can easily translate the manual for free... well, in exchange of a Kemper Amp... if it helps :) :) :)

Phil

Phil! In this case just don't buy a modeler/profiler/tone-matcher of any sort! ;) Seriously if you want quality and don't need much diversity and if you don't like to tweak just buy a good tube amp! You need to be a power user, or at least a good tweaker, to get the best out of a digital device and especialy an AFX IMHO, I owned an AFX standard and never got to tweak that much than with this device. Just my 2 cents. :)

Oh, I might not express myself correctly... I do have access to several Amps and if I do buy a KPA, of course, I'm gonna build my own favorite good sounding Profiles. However, even if I already have a lot of gear, I can't have all kind of Amp on the planet... So, I wish I could easily find good profiles of these Amps I don't have.

Everyone knows here that the overall signal chain (Amp, Cab, Room treatment, Mic and mic position, Preamp) do have an impact on how "good" a profile could be or not... No offense to anyone, but it looks like there's a lot of shared profiles, from very good amp thought, but perhaps, not so good overall signal chain... I have the chance to have access to great studios, with tons of awesome gear and even better sound engineer than me, so I have no doubt about the profiles I could do... but more about the profiles I could get. Not everyone has the chance to have access to a Recording studio, with great gear and sound engineer experience.

Which means, if there's several profile versions of the same kind of amp, it's gonna take quite some time to download them all and test them... I have no problem of tweaking to get the sound I want, I just have problem of spending time to find a correct and decent profile....

That's also for this reason I do tend to believe it would be more interesting to profile the Amp only (with a loadbox). It removes the Amp, Mic, Mic position and PreAmp of the process... reducing considerably the risk of "not so good" profiles. But, we need a good Cab+Mic emulation then...

Guitartone: I don't have problem of Quantity of Amp, Stomps, Effects, etc... actually, the more we can get, the better it is. I would have problem if I would have 50 versions of a Tube Screamer with each one a different quality... That's what I meant :)

I agree Steeldom, we probably have different ways to use it... but that's OK, everyone's different :)

Don't get me wrong, I can clearly see usage of an Editor on MAC/PC.
    What I was meaning is mainly a way to download and transfer new Profiles from Internet to the KPA with a Smartphone (not necessary an "Editor")

I'm not a "Touring Pro" guy, but I indeed move a lot from place to place and the more it goes, the more I appreciate very minimal solutions and that's also why I wish the KPA would do things it isn't made for (Looper, Loadbox, Dual-Amp, Tons of effects, etc...).

Maybe it's just me but extensive tweaking has to be done at home, where you have the time to do it. And if I feel the urge to go into the rehearsal room alone, to programm my sounds there, well then I can take my laptop with me.

Definitely not the way I would use it... Tweaking a sound at home and then discovering it's not good at all on rehearsal or in studio and not being able to "work" properly... and be able to try something else the next time I'm gonna be "home" or somewhere with my laptop and internet (hotel room or so where I might even not have my gear with me... no thanks!)

Spid: Maybe someday you can do everything with a tablet, that you can do with a PC right now. As well as one day discs of any kind might become obsolete. But none of this is going to happen in the next 5-10 years.

Wow, you're definitely off on this one... and I give you less than 3 years to know it (And you can mark my words :)).

I've been reading over here on the forum for a long moment now and here's my current decision I made: I'm not gonna buy the Kemper Amp... yet.
    And before anyone is accusing me of trolling or so, here are my personal reasons why:

1-) I will need more time to save for the Axe-FX (and other stuff)... so maybe by the time to be ready, the KPA might receive some updates that will change my point of view.

2-) As of today, the KPA is not available in Rack format, which is a definitely "no no" in my situation.

3-) The KPA doesn't look reliable enough to me for Live and Touring. Even without talking about the Rack, the booting time by itself is killing everything for me and would make me use the KPA in Studio only while I'm looking for a tools for both Studio & Stage.

4-) Quality over Quantity... It looks like there's thousands of profiles, but I'd actually prefer to have less quantity and just have quality. I don't want to spend hours and hours to find the good sound.

5-) From everything I read, including manual and user guides, the workflow looks also hecky, not super intuitive...

6-) If the "Profiling" is apparently really well done, apparently the rest (OS) aren't and there's missing, bugs, etc... I completely understand it could happen to any new product, but I need something 110% rock solid, so I prefer to wait for the KPA to become better.

7-) There's not as much Stomps/Effects as other solutions (even in comparison of a Pod HD Pro/M13) and I'm not even quite sure from everything I read so far that CK even want the KPA to become the holy "all-in-one" grail and it looks like he would prefer to stay focus on the Profiling "Only". I completely understand this choice and it would be then even perfect if it had more Audio-FX Loops then (like the G-System), to integrate it with other FX Rack... There's the 4CM, but it's not enough. The Axe-FX does have the same issue, but looks to integrate more effects...

8-) I'd prefer the KPA to include a kind of Loadbox to profile the Amp only and directly... be able to use it with a real Cab or a Cab+Mic simulation, depending your choice and situation (or even both... Cab on stage and Cab+Mic Simulation for Front PAs or even for Recording). I might use a Torpedo Live for that instead...

9-) I'd love to be able to run two Rig (Signal Chain) together... for Rig X/Y (or A/B), to switch between Rig or even having stereo Rig. I often use the G-System with dual out on a Mesa Mark V and a Fender Twin and the result is just great and very flexible. You can easily use one, the other, both... change canal on just one, etc... With a good Stomps Audio Loops Combination that's all I need. I actually even use it as a "One Preset Setup" only... turning on/off, switching canal, selecting Rig, etc... but being on the same configuration from start to end and not switching from presets to presets (which is good when you know what you will play and have a setlist... but not good at all when you know what you need after the first bar the drummer already started to play).

10-) Being not satisfied by anything I saw in Foot Controller so far (from both Fractal Audio, Kemper, Line 6, etc...), I might go for a better solution with Gizmo Effects Audio-FX Looper and/or SSL X-Patch, associated to a LF+ or Mastermind GT foot controller... (or maybe even my own foot controller if I can't get exactly what I want, the G-System is great but it needs just few more switches and loops, so I might just get a G-Major 2 instead).

There's other tiny stuff such Audio over USB (TI style for Editing, Management AND Audio Recording/ReAmping, etc...), etc... but here are my 10 main reasons why I might just wait for a better version of the Kemper Amp.

It's not an easy decision because it's been over a year I was waiting for, I was very excited to see it at MusikMesse, even more excited to read all of your post over here, but I don't like to buy gear that don't match my needs (even if they do have great hype). It's for the same reason I haven't buy the Axe-FX 1 (or Ultra), because there was some stuff I didn't like about...

NOTE: This is MY reasons and mine only, they might not apply to yours and it even doesn't mean that the KPA is not good at all... I actually think it's really good and that's why I still considering it, reading all post, the manual, listening all demos, watching all videos, etc... If I'd think it's not good at all, I wouldn't spend so much time about it, nor even writing this post. I just hope Kemper Team will read it and they might come with an update or upgrade that will delete all of my 10 points and make me the most happier man on earth... In the end, that's all I'm hoping for :)

My 10 cents,
    Phil

Im not sure about this.

There are over a billion computers running MS operating systems, by 2015 this is meant to reach 2 billion.

This figure is growing quicker than tablet sales.

Oh, I'm sure about this... Both Microsoft, Google, Apple are all agree that "Post-PC" devices (such smartphone, tablets, tv, game console, etc...) will over-pass the traditional "Personal Computer" (which means: Desktop computers). For instance, there's over 5 billions phones in the world... and a very very large number of them will become "smartphone" sooner or later, regardless if it's iOS, Android, Win8, or any other operating system. And I'm not counting tablets that will definitely take a large part of the market... If you don't trust me, just go check some numbers and announcements from both Apple, Microsoft, Google, and even Facebook (that will soon get almost a billion users by itself).

've got a PC, iPad and Android smartphone (Galaxy S2) ...... which would I want to use for editing? Ideally (for convenience) all of them, but for any serious editing definitely the PC.

I'm not considering a smartphone for serious editing... I'm considering it to download and transfer new profiles; I don't know for you, but if I move a lot, use the Amp at rehearsal place, in studios, on stage, etc...There's no laptop/desktop with me (and I don't want to bring any), and most of the time, there's even no internet connexion. The only device that I ALWAYS have with me, with Internet connexion, is my phone.

For serious editing, I even think any computers is not really good, because I prefer to touch physical controllers, turn knobs, etc... so I'd prefer to edit on the KPA directly, if we can't it just means the KPA workflow isn't good enough... period, because I don't need any computer to edit the Mesa Mark V, Fender Twin, Dual Terror, etc... I even don't need any editor for my 11R or any of the Vox, Digitech, Boss and Art Multi-FX rack I have/had.

My 2 cents

I see your point.It's about different people working in a different way and having their own point of view.So for me playing guitar means not to have to mess around with an iPad .That's just me though!

Well, I wouldn't like to have my laptop and a USB drive to transfer, add or remove some profiles because I want to play guitar and not have to mess with the computer at all...

But even if we could have 5000+ profiles already loaded in the KPA with Amp folders and Favorites setlist, and of course without increasing the "already too long" booting time (which is currently not the case), there would always be a moment you would like to add a new profiles (because human beings are never satisfied)...

So, in that case, I just hope I could take my phone (because it's the only devices I ALWAYS have with me, wherever I am), download the profile from the internet and send it to the KPA... perhaps even without any cable, that would be even better...

My 2 cents :)

IMHO, it would make more sense to develop the Kemper Editor/Rig Manager on iOS and Android than on PC and MAC for 2 majors reasons:

1) In near future, it will be more Android and iOS devices than PC and MAC.

2) When we're not at home or in the studio and we want to edit and/or manage the profiles... you have more chance to have your smartphone or your tablet than your desktop computer. For instance, I love the idea to update the iStomp with my phone without even using any cable at all...

The only concern would be the future of Windows with Win8... but that's another story.

Well, there's no reason for it to cost a "fortune"... (it's pretty similar to the MasterMind GT and/or the FAMC LF+)

So I'm quite confident I could get it done around $500-600, mainly by using build kit (such the builder V2 kit from Livid).
    For the screen, there's some very affordable OLED color screens such this one: http://www.crystalfontz.com/product/CFAL9664BFB1
    (I still need to test it in real situation outside with the sun, etc... I'm gonna check with Livid which display they do support. If not)

For the Expression pedals, I plan to be able to add 2 pedals on each side as a modular system we already discussed on another thread.

But in any way, event thought I know some electronics, it's not my expertise.
    So it's gonna be a long shot and it will take time because it's just a side project for now...

Steeldom: +1

If the two and half minutes is true, the Kemper Amp won't happen for me and for now, regardless how good or even better it could be.
    It's a "no no"... you can almost play an entire song in two and half minutes. It comes as a blow...

Wow... two and half minutes?

That's indeed very long... I already think the Eleven Rack with its 10-ish seconds is already long, so over 30 or 60 seconds it's really something I need to rethink seriously. That's kind of weird, my MacBook Pro with a SSD needs only 12 seconds for a cold boot, so is that two and half minutes the right number?

Can anyone else confirm this number?

Thanks,
    Phil

Hey Guys,

Being not satisfied by anything I really wanted, I was thinking about my "Perfect" Foot Controller and I finally came out with this one I'm gonna try to build. It's gonna be a long shot and will take time, but here's a little draft:

[Blocked Image: http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7093/7153421191_931b991578_b.jpg]

It's based on a mix of a Liquid Foot and a Mastermind GT (built with a Livid Builder V2 Electronic), focus around a 12 (3 x 4) main switches, right under the main screen that can be used for Presets, Stomps, Effects or even a global view with 4 Presets, 4 Stomps and 4 Effects. If you like to have Presets only, you can change page with the Page switches to have 12 Presets, or 12 Stomps, etc...

The X/Y allows to switch the AMP/EQ/Cab if you want switch between two types of Amps (if the unit such the Axe-FX/Pod/etc... does support dual Amp/Cab) and even use them in stereo (X&Y)... just like you could do in situation with real amps. It can also allow you to have 12 new switches and then have 4 more Presets, 4 more Stomps, 4 more Effects if you need them. At any time, you will have access to the Boost, Tap and Looper switches. (PS: I know the Looper won't be available on the Kemper, but the Controller will be used to control several devices at the same time).

Indeed, you can select which gear of your Rig you would like to control. Just press Rig and choose between one of the default and pre-mapped Layout for your main common gear (Kemper, Axe-FX, Eleven Rack, Pod HD, Digitech 1101, etc...), or even one of your own custom layout. No need for 5 dedicated Foot Controller if you have an use a Kemper, an Axe, an Eleven Rack, a Pod HD Pro and a Digitech 1101 in the same Rig... (It's just an example, it would work with any midi devices of your choice).

Everything will be saved in a Song (/Bank); up to 128 Song/Bank per SetList... and with up to 8 Presets per Song, it makes 1024 presets easily and quickly available. For the ones who don't care about Presets but like better to use simple Channel Selector and Stomps on/off, they will have up to 8 Channels and up to 16 Stomps... probably well enough to fit most of the case :)

At any time, the Input Selector/Tuner/Mute, as well as the Edit button will be available, regardless where you're at.
    Of course, there will be 4 Expression Pedals Inputs, 2 External Switches Inputs, Midi In/Out and USB.

All displays are shown in Green, but will be (like the LF+ or MMGT) 7 colors displays. It's gonna be useful to have different color for different Rig. For instance Green Display for the Kemper, Blue for the Axe-FX, Orange for the Eleven Rack, etc... Size wise, it's gonna be close to the G-System... probably just a tiny little bit wider.

I hope the Kemper will support bi-directionnal communication (maybe with integration of CopperLan protocol) to be able to clearly show on the Main Screen information from the Kemper such the Stomps/Effects name, etc...

The final goal is to have "one and only one" Foot Controller that will communicate with several devices from any manufacture, just like we can buy some "Studio Controllers" for mixing, for keyboard, for drumpad, etc... that works with any DAW, Synth, VS

What about a solution like iTunes "SoundCheck" features, that scans your songs and adjust their volume automatically in regard to your library?

It could be a similar tools somewhere in system/options that adjust the volume in regard of your default settings and "Amp Library"...

Just thinking out loud :)