Posts by cmbrowns

Is this just about the very latest RM version?

I have 3.2.30.17230 from just before the newest version was announced and I seem to be able to rename Performances and/or the rigs in performances. The only thing odd I see is that until you click on one of the name fields, they don't look like editable fields.

I select any performance from My Profiler or Local Library then click on the Name field in the upper right just below the "Performance Settings" header. The name is then editable and does not require any kind of save. I load other performances, change to Browse mode, restart RM, etc. and the renamed performances still retain the new names and work normally. Same thing for the names of the 5 rigs in the performances.

Sorry if I'm misunderstanding something.

BTW - working the same for Browser mode.

Don't know if there's any cast in stone defaults. Probably most settings at zero, like the Clean Sens and Distortion Sens on Input and the Main Output EQs (page 4/8 on Output) to zeros. But in your case, you seem to like the settings on the unpowered one so you just need to match the powered one to the same settings.

Maybe important things to look at are both Kempers on the same OS version? I never notice differences but maybe some option gets reset after an update that you don't expect to change. Also look at Output Page 1 of 8. Do you have the Main Out -12 db checked on one but not the other? Is the Main Output set the same - like Master Stereo? If one is Master Stereo and the other is something else, like Master Mono, etc. that might account for the differences you hear. Page 5/8 on the current version Output menu is Output Filter with a Low Cut and High Cut, probably both off by default.

As long as all settings are the same, and if you know the Rigs selected on each are identical then I know of no reason why they'd sound different.

And settings related to the power amp shouldn't apply since you aren't using the speaker out.

I'm using the same input. I'm switching out the cable in the back of each Kemper. If there are any chances, it would be differences in the input or output menu of the Kemper.

You haven't compared the Kemper settings?

Just go through the 2 input pages and the 8 pages of Output settings on the two Kempers to make sure they're set the same. There aren't many settings to check so it should only take a minute to check. Or you could just check them in Rig Manager if you're using that for both.

Aside from that, you're sure the rigs are exactly the same on both? No edits? Nothing locked on one that might not be locked on the other?

If you're using the main outs on the powered Kemper, you're not using the internal power amp anyway. Only the mono Speaker out would have the power amp, using a speaker cable to a non-powered cabinet like a regular guitar speaker cabinet. You would never connect the speaker out to an interface or a powered cabinet like a studio monitor. If you're not seeing a single Speaker out on the back of your Kemper then it's not a powered Kemper.

No poweramp. They are both going into my Apollo Twin and coming out of my monitor speakers.

When you say no poweramp, you mean the monitor speakers are powered, right? Otherwise you wouldn't be hearing anything.

So if you're using the main outs on both the powered and unpowered Kemper there is no Kemper side power amp involved and you'd be using both as non-powered Kempers. The amp in both cases would be in your studio monitors. So if all setting are the same, both should sound the same.

You wouldn't need to unlock anything to Save. If you Save, anything that IS locked would now be the value you've saved in that rig.

Maybe another way to think of it would be that any field that is locked is ignored when loading a rig. If you lock something in the X slot, whatever may be there is any rig is ignored when you load the rig. If you then save, whatever is displayed (locked or not) is now saved in the rig you saved.

It's both easy and difficult. Easy - flat just means all frequencies are set to be about equal. Difficult - at any point in time that is up to your position from the speakers and how the room influences those frequencies.

Not to over-simplify, but most studio monitors, full range PA cabinets, decent headphones, etc. are intended to be somewhat flat in response. Probably studio monitors more so than others. But then the room you use them in, and the position you put them in (how far away, against a wall, in a corner) are all going to have an effect that you probably need to adjust for with some kind of EQ. Sure, there are tools you can use to figure it out. If you have an EQ that can generate a pink noise signal and a flat response mic, you can use that mic to look at the noise from your speakers. Then use an EQ that displays the response to tune it as flat across the spectrum as possible.

Maybe simpler is to listen to some regular professional recordings that have a lot of range. If they sound pretty good and equal without any EQ, then your monitors and room are already pretty flat. If not adjust whatever EQ you have to get it to sound like what you want to tune them for your ears. Then if you create new rigs and set them through that same monitor system so they sound as you'd like, then they should sound pretty similar through any decent PA.

I don't know if I'm explaining this well, but I think the idea is to go on the assumption that if your studio monitoring (whether speakers or headphones) sound good on some recording already finished and mastered, the you can set your Kemper rigs in that same environment so they sound as you want. Then assume that the FOH is going to be as close as possible since that normally is not going to be in your control.

Then the KAB is only for your monitoring, so you set it up however sounds best to you, whereever you're playing. You still might need to tweak the global Monitor EQ, etc. on the Kemper output depending on how a given room affects what you hear. But that EQ should then work for all rigs in that room.

Does that make sense?

A PA for any live show is probably going to be set up to be as flat sounding as possible for the audience point of view. So that's up to whoever is setting up and handling the FOH. So you could try setting your Kemper main outs also as flat as possible while creating your set of rigs. Probably monitoring with some type of Studio Monitor or headphones that you're familiar with. Then you can be pretty sure that what comes out of the PA is as close as you could expect to what you were hearing from your monitors (with the PA being adjusted for differences in the room or space, and obviously up to the taste of whoever is running FOH).

Then the Kemper Kab is a monitor for you, and what you hear on stage. So you would adjust it to whatever you like to hear and inspires you to play the best performance. Some people may just use regular monitors or in ears, and may be happy hearing the same mix that goes to the audience. But others prefer that more amp like sound you may get out of the Kab. If you are only trying to make the Kab and the Main outs the same, you probably really don't need what the Kab is providing. To try doing it in the other direction - trying to make the Main Outs sound like the Kab probably wouldn't make much sense.

I use the current version of Rig Manager for Windows. I notice that if I click any effect or stomp that is currently off that I then need the click it a second time to turn it on. Not a lot of extra effort, but I can't see any reason I'd want to just click one that's off just to see the blank editor section telling me it's off.

This is probably since the first click is just selecting while additional click toggle on/off. But the selection could easily be handled by mouse over, etc. Or since if the effect is already off as it's clicked it seems you could easily toggle it on.

A small thing, but at least it would save extra clicks or button pushes.

I don't know if this is a bug or intended, but if you scroll down to the Kemper Kone area on the Output settings, you can toggle Cabinet Off to enabled or disabled. The result shows in Kemper Kone and also in the grayed out Monitor area.

The Monitor Cab Off soft button on the Monitor Output EQ hardware page on the Kemper works as well.

At the moment, the context menu only shows presets from the All Presets\MyProfiler section. You probably have the Kemper Drive presets somewhere under All Presets\Local Library.

If you copy them to MyProfiler they will be available in the context menus.

Hopefully they'll decide to make Local Library presets available in the future.

You can do that in Rig Manager

You just store the output as a Preset under Presets/Local Library. For better organization, start by creating a new folder like Output. Then after making any changes drag from Output to your new folder. From there you can rename it as you like in that same location. Then you can use this preset however you'd like.

If you want to also be able to use the preset without Rig Manager, create your preset under Presets/My Profiler. That's where you'd find any you may have already created on the profiler. Tehse can be used from either Rig Manager or from the Kemper hardware.

A few things I'm seeing on every start up (Windows 10, RM 3.1.58.16458)

I restart Windows, the Kemper and Rig Manager every morning. If not done in that order, RM does not seem able to find the Kemper. I have yet to see this version of RM connect to the Kemper if the Kemper was not started first.

Also, I find that it takes several starts and stops of Rig Manager before it finally finds the Kemper. Today was 4 times. Never on the first try. When this happens, on the first try I let RM sync up Rig Exchange and give it a few minutes to see if it finds the Kemper. It doesn't, so I close Rig Manager and restart it. Usually at this point after Rig Manager opens (still not finding the Kemper), I get a message I have to update Rig Manager (I have the latest RM and Kemper OS). I stop it and restart it again. No more messages and usually on the third or fourth try it finally sees the Kemper then works normally until the next day.

Do you have a High Cut on in the Output options or an EQ?

If not, maybe you're just using a profile that doesn't pair well with your speakers? Like maybe using humbuckers with a profile created based on single coils. You could try turning Definition up a bit, or just treble/presence.

I've installed the latest RM and the two earlier bets on latest update Windows 10 (64 bit). Took a few reboots before RM saw the profiler, but then it was normal. I have the non-powered toaster.

Yes, sounds like I pretty much am suggesting the same thing as skoczy.

I wasn't suggesting this should work if Rig Manager wasn't already running. Although if the double click could interact with the Kemper (since that's where the USB connection is) then maybe you wouldn't necessarily need Rig Manager at all for this. Just load up a disk file rig and if you want to save it, save it on the Profiler. If you want to save it in Rig Manager, as long as Rig Manager is running then save it through Rig Manager to My Profiler or Local Library. Only Kemper would know if that would be possible.

The main idea would be to somewhat minimize the whole Librarian aspects of Rig Manager. In some cases it's good, and necessary. Like when you're more interested in something about the Tags, Favorites, Rig Exchange, Rig Packs and so on. But just to maintain a library in folders, the computer, at least to me, is much better. I'd rather see Rig Manager as the editor and a place to maintain a smaller useful set. Then use the computer like my own local Rig Exchange. Just not completely duplicated within Rig Manager.

Think of how it now works. You buy some profiles. You download them somewhere on your computer and usually unzip them. Now to try them you have to either copy the files to a Kemper dedicated USB drive and import them into the Kemper (remembering the Kemper is already connected via USB anyway for RM). Or you probably start Rig Manager, make some kind of folder then find your computer files and copy, drag or import them into your RM folder. Finally, you can try them to see if useful.

In what skoczy and I were suggesting, you download and unzip them, then double click one to load it and try it out. Maybe RM is running and if possible, maybe not. So I'm not against RM, I just don't see why all of the extra steps to get a rig loaded.

Sorry, what do you mean by Rig settings page 4 of 6 ? Set on the profiler ?

In the output section everything is set on "stereo"

Yes, 4 of 6 on the profiler. On Rig Manager it's Parallel Path on the Rig page. If it's on, the Parallel Mix controls the amount added.