Posts by bugnogmusic

i've been using the softstep 2 until i got the remote as well. although the functionality (when only using it with the kemper) is more limited compared to getting instant status/visual feedback and other features that come with the remote, it suited my needs great for switching rigs and turning on and off stomps. i set it up so that the bottom row switched rigs and the top row were the stomps. i used the main cross pad to control volume (as a mute and to access tuner mode). it took me a little while to figure out how to program it so that the lights behaved the way i wanted them to (with the rig pads and the stomp pads behaving differently as needed), but the editing software was pretty painless. i downloaded an example set-up from the keith mcmillan web site, and that helped me get a bit of a starting point to figure how things worked.

i used their midi expander to run the softstep with the kemper without a laptop, and just kept it in the back slot of the kemper (i have the unpowered toaster version). i was also able to power it with the usb slot in the back of the kemper.

i'm sure - with all of the programability that's possible using the various pads - one could get very creative with it, but for me it was great to have something super-compact, lightweight, durable, connected to the kemper by a single cable, and accomplished the function of all that i would have needed from an fcb1010 and an uno chip (for example).

i am using the remote now, though. :) at some point i'll put the softstep 2 to use in some other capacity that hopefully uses a bit more of its potential...

yep - i'm going on three years now with the kemper namba bag as well. i have a flight case, too, but (with carrying on my guitar on planes) the flight case won't fit under airline seats, while the namba bag will. i've done a number of tours with it, and it's held up well. the only thing i've needed to do to it so far has been to re-fasten the velcro on one of the side pockets, since after opening and closing it countless times one corner started to pull up.

i also use the bag as robman says, opening up both ends and putting the kemper in so the front and back are both exposed (with the top and bottom folded under the bag). i don't carry it around this way, but it's great when doing outdoor gigs and i want to make sure it's protected from direct sunlight or potential light rain. when the kpa is in the bag this way, there's some overhang from the bag so that cables plugged into the kpa are a bit less susceptible to being stepped on by less-attentive band members or others when i have to place it on the ground.

i've been carrying my kemper on board as well - in the namba bag. so far it's fit under almost every plane seat (i just make sure not to fill the front pocket of the bag over-full). that way i can carry on both my electric guitar and the kpa. i did this as recently as last month, and in a pretty small plane.

as far as dealing with security, that varies. sometimes they'll let it go through the x-ray machine in the namba bag without a second glance. sometimes - after it goes through the x-ray - they'll open up the bag and wipe it to test for residue of some illegal sort. a few times i've had to take it out of the bag and have it x-rayed separately in a plastic bin. in every case, i've always been allowed to carry it on with no concern about what it is. if there's a question, i just tell them it's a digital guitar amp, and so far everyone's been okay with that answer.

hope that helps give you a bit more confidence. peace...

Whoops, looks like I've made a mistake, though, about the Mosaic - a video I watched mentioned that (and it sounded like) all strings were doubled and had the octave up effect, but in looking further at Digitech's web site, they (as do vendors) also say it produces "octave low strings and doubled high strings." My apologies. I'm curious how they do it if not by some kind of "above this note, switch from octave to double"...

Just watched a few videos on this pedal - please correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like this pedal actually generates a unison note and an octave up note for every single note. In other words, not octave up for 4 strings and unison for 2. If that's the case, don't we already have this effect possible (or a close semblance) within the Kemper? :)

that's a great idea, actually, paults! wire it up to work with the kemper's output, make sure all of the lights are somewhat yellow-ish, place it in the back of a kemper, and you have instant super-driven tube simulation! in a darkened room (or near a wall) it's an instant solution to any tube snob onlookers... :)

Over the course of dozens of flights (mostly international, but also some within the U.S.) over the past several years, I've been able to carry on my electric guitar or acoustic guitar except for a very few times (when it was gate-checked and came out - thankfully - fine on the other side).

For both the acoustic and electric guitar, I travel with them in Mono gig bags. I do have a frequent-flyer status, though, and so I'm usually able to be one of the first on the plane after first/business class board. Most planes that I've flown in have enough room in the overhead bins, although when that wasn't possible I have been helped out by some very kind flight attendants who placed my guitar in the coat closet.

I used to gig more as a bassist than a guitarist, and was never able to bring my bass on board. Back then I used an SKB case (I believe it's called a "bass safe") that held the bass in a gig bag inside the case. I would send that as checked luggage and had (mostly) good experiences. I'd be okay with checking my electric guitar in that SKB case if airlines stopped allowing guitars onboard, but it's size makes it rather cumbersome to fit in vehicles and haul around once I'm on the ground.

Thanks for all the feedback so far, all...

Hi all - I've done a few fly-out tours so far with the KPA lunch box, and so far I've always brought the Kemper as a carry-on in a soft case. I now have one of the hard/flight cases for the KPA as well, and I'm wondering if anyone here has been brave enough to actually check their KPA lunch box in one of these hard cases in the belly of the beast... I mean... airplane (thereby freeing up space for another carry-on).

Anyone? Happy to hear any thoughts on this idea as well. Even if not checked, I may try to bring the KPA as a carry-on in its hard case (for additional protection once I get to my destination and it's with the rest of the gear in the back of the van traveling around).

Cheers!

Thanks, dhodgson. Yep, I love the fact that the KPA has a universal power supply - a huge bonus for me. I'm just more concerned about making sure the KPA is well-protected from odd spikes and brief power outages that I've encountered on tours in Central Asia and the Near East. Sometimes I'm fortunate enough that the sound system and backline have a power regulator (which takes care of spikes and such), but that doesn't help when it comes to power outages.

Just trying to avoid a situation where the local power goes out for a brief moment, everyone else is able to start playing almost immediately after the power comes back on, but I'd still need to wait for the KPA's circuitry to properly discharge for a few minutes - if I'm understanding that safety feature in the KPA correctly (which I'd happily be corrected on, if I've misunderstood).

Thanks! I had sort of tried that previously, but with overwriting the file on the USB stick with a file I had downloaded again from the web site (didn't work). But completely deleting the file from the USB stick and placing a new file on there again caused it to work... nice...