Posts by Hudiluma

Isn't funny.... I had the original rockman and a half rack unit from the Tom Scholz distortion, just to have THE sound. It was in the time before DAWs and modelling imo the first good out-of-the box sound for easy recording of distortion tones. Compared with my first POD it was flat and non flexible. Now with the KPA we have at least a ton of great and open sounding profiles... but I searched for that flat rockman sound too :) but I never regreted of selling the original units. Greetings from Hudi

Hey guitarchiq! I ... here my (short version) story and some impressions I got out of the facebook group. Via headphone I was happy from day one. It took some weeks until I figured out the perfect rehearsal room setup. I was very unhappy at the start. Now I have a setup that sounds nearly the same with headphone, for recording and in the rehearsal room. After some learning I now can identify very fast which profile will work in both situations. So I can produce a song at home and will have the same sound live. For me this is a dream come true. Taking to account, that tube amps react sensible on power supply issues, temperatur ....... you know what I mean.

What I read a lot is that some players bought the KPA as a tool that will sound in every situation great, even if their playing is not that great. (why do I know this? Some players post videos in which you can agree: The tone is crap but the playing too!) They buy tons of commercial profiles and their frustration is huge cause their tone is not as expected. So they sell slighlty used KPAs with masses of profiles totally unhappy. To be more specific: I you are playing high gane through a Line6 Spider 1 (sorry Line 6, no offense ) and switch to a good amp like the KPA you might run into troubles cause the amp reflects your playing honestly (depending on the profile). If you can handle a sensible amp (like Two Rock) you will be able to handle a two rock profile within the KPA and I am pretty sure you will be happy.

I use mono exclusively....why? Because I think its sounds tigher. In a band context with another guitarist, its difficult enough to find sonic "space". Stereo yes sounds wider but that depth can work against you.

Persoanlly ( and this is a real sweeping statement) I'd only use stereo live if I was a single guitarist and the focus was on effects ( more ethereal/indie music). For straight ahead rock, mono...

Agreed on you V8guitar, I use an "in between" solution. I am a single guitarist in my band. I have a stereo setup but my mostly used sounds are without any modulation effects. The stereo delay in leads is really just for fun stereo. So you can say i play mono most of the time. But those specificly rare modulation sounds do much better in a stereo setup.

Hi there,

I am absolutely with Seabass. I fought with the RM and got in addition sense free and wrong hints from some user here. I recommend to see the RM as a free software that comes as a gift to a great piece of gear which for me the KPA is. I found my way to work with, even create performances by try and error that sometimes work, sometimes not. I know that does not solve your problem, but maybe your moods!

Cheers

Hi all,

I recently tried some headphones and would like to share my experiances . I am more then aware that everybody has his own sweetspot for frequencies but maybe this helps you as your postings did help me to find a solution.

I am using a 40 years old Sennheiser HD 424 which is very flat and is fine for me, but especially the low frequencies are far from my expectiations. But I learned to deal with this and consider this in my mixes. The high frequencies are fine and for this part I can fully trust them for the mix. Anyhow I tried to find something more fitting for all frequencies.

First I tried the Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro and had it for more than 6 months. It sound spectacular open and impresses a lot. But the high frequencies are so extrem upfront it made me fail in mixes and gave me trouble enjoing playing my KPA. I thought I can get used to it but gave up and sold it.

Second I tried th Sony MDR 7506 which is very popular as well. I found it's hights not as extrem as the DT 770 but the sound overall was not harmomic in my ears. For me it sounded kind of unnatural.

Third I am trying the Sennheiser HD 380 Pro. It's sound is very flat , has enough bass to make some fun and has slightly less upper mids than my old HD 424. The sound with my KPA is punchy and far from beeing harsh. Still I have to get used to the changed sound overall but currently it seems to be the wanted upgrade to my old set.

I will post an update if I have to add something and hope this review helps you in finding your solution.

Stay save!

Hudi

Hey Jake,

first of all ensure that you have a backup with all your current settings on the stick. If anything happens by mistake you are prepared.

Level out the rigs up front before going to the gig and before making a backup. IME if there are minimal level differences knowbody will care/notice.

I do my leveling in the rehearsal room with the band, always and yes I adjust the rig volume.

I use the xlr-outs for the FOH and usually use the available monitor system. I do not have any guitar cabinet at a gig. If I want to be super save and indepenent I have an exclusive, in my case active, small 12 inch FR monitor which I directly connect to my KPA monitor out. Just because I use in this set up only full range speaker I have the cab sim on.

The most benefits of this setup is that there is no cabinet on stage that limits the mixing because of own volumen and I do not have to carry the weight :). IME you have to level down guitar cabinets at small gigs a lot, so that there is no felt benefit compared to the monitor setup I just explained.

In addition I have a packing list with backups for ALL cables, which I everytime walk through. Its better to have it than to need it!

I hope that helps!

Dear all,

I am planning to purchase a non powered rack version in addition to my non powered toaster. My idea is to have the both configured iqually. Can I use the the backup from the toaster to restore it to the rack version? Has anyone of you done a similar process succesfully?

Thanks in advance!

Hudi

Hey all,

i have similar problems and I am helping myself with having all my performances saved in a local folder within RM and taking a performance from the local folder into an empty slot. That works most of the time. To have the order from performances I select them in RM so you can see the headphone icon and then change its position via shortcut. This works all the time.

just tried that and it works fine here. no crashes, no problem. but please contact support, i'm sure we can help you out. as for the favorite rigs, you're right, that's on the list. but to me that doesn't qualify an an example for "if you want to be on the save side, don't use it". and as for the countless threads, most users who have approached us with a problem had a problem we can solve with them. i'm not saying that everything is perfect but at the same time, it isn't that bad at all.
    so again: is somebody has an issue: contact us by email.. we will help you. that's far more productive then saying nothing works and feeling annoyed

Hey G String and all others,

from my perspektive the software us buggy, no doubt. How to handle our experience? Thats what this forum is about, or am i wrong?

We can post emails to Kemper for sure, but first we use your forum to find out in the community if this is maybe our own problem caused by issues kemper cannot solve. Eg. Windows probs...etc. and maybe get some help.

on the other hand Kemper can take for example this topic, leave a message in the thread that kemper will analyse and then post when your done. That would be productive as well.

Best regards
    Hudi

Well imo we have a feature request for the rig manager here.
    We like to have the feature to paste multiple performances or complete folders of performances out of the local storage into the profiler. It would be usefull to add those pasted performances to already existing performances in the profiler starting with the highest free position and not to overwrite existing performances. That would give best usability. In addition it would be great also to move multiple performance positions in the profiler.

you can create Performance folders in Rig Manager, and use the names of the Performances to put them in the desired order. (001 song title, 002 song title etc)

When you want to change the Performance contents of your KPA, delete the performances in it, and drag the all the contents of one of your Performance Folders into the KPA.

Dear paults,

dragging does not work. If I select all and press copy and try to paste it into the profiler, only 1 performance is moved. I disappears in the local folder. I correct, after a few moves, now the perfromances are copied.....

Can you pls give me a hint?

Thx