Posts by Ampsound

Whatever works for YOU.
    Not everybody likes chilli just as not everybody is vegetarian or vegan.
    We all have different taste, wouldn't it be boring if it were otherwise?

Michael uses many different microphones. One classic long time combination (not just for him) is R-121 plus an M7 capsule (he uses an M70/71) but other mics with an M7 will work in a similar manner.
    The 57 is an industry standard for guitar cabs as much as a '67 is (pity the four grand difference in price... ;)
    The "classic" list goes on, MD409, M160,SM7 but in the end it is what sounds right or works for YOU that matters ......

I guess it boils down to personal experience and taste to a certain extent.

I like to start with well maintained amps that have been kept well or restored to full potential in case of vintage ones. I choose cabinets and speakers either old or new based on what works and has worked for the past twenty five years for me and other I have worked with/for. For the vintage ones I pick old Mullards or Brimars, for the modern ones it depends but right now it seems Winged Svetlanas and Tung Sols are acceptable sounding. Trying various combination with different amps and cabinets to see (or rather hear) what works in a given production context is key. Sometimes an old vintage seventies cab with Celestion will do wonders, other times a newer EV equipped modern cab will be just the ticket. Personal favourite speakers of mine are Celestions, especially but not restricted to Heritage 55, old pre Rolas, Fanes, Tayden and Ev. I really like Eminence for Bass.

The same goes for microphones, even though I have favourites I will always try most if not all combinations having access to vintage Neumanns from 1938 to present days as well as other industry standards. Having said there are times when an inexpensive microphone with a given amp and cab combination works better than an expensive one so it is always important to keep an open mind and aim for the final result rather than looks or "perceived values". Sometimes I use multiple microphones, other times I go for a simple setup if I feel it works better. Same applies to preamps although some seem to me to work most of the times so I will grab those ones first, namely a V72,
    Telefunkens, either a 676 or a 376, an Helios if I am going for that '67 sound, a Neve '73 or '84 or similar designs like the Heritage, Daking or a very cleaner one like a Millennia or Red or the Tore Seem in our desk. To me a V72 sounds very different from a Millennia. If I feel it is worth it I will do a pass through analogue tape.

Placement varies and again depends on the given context. Monitoring is in a separate (control) room checking usually on nearfield as well as mains (PMC, ATC) and some reality check on smaller mono speakers.

Musicians vary from crappy ones (our engineers :D ) to gifted friend, visiting musicians (some long term customers always willing to help) to some session players we call in for customers in need. Guitars and basses also vary starting with common ones like Teles, Strats and Les Pauls with some less common new and old pieces to see how a profile will react to very different instruments.

As mentioned above experience helps, having worked for years in tracking and mixing and having had the privilege of assisting, making tea and sandwich for great producers and engineers has been invaluable, especially many years ago when I started and apprenticeships were easier to find than today.

Nowadays there are so many offerings within studio monitors it is just a matter of budget and "feel"
    Those mentioned in the above posts are all good speakers. Define your budget first and see if you can try some locally (shops or friends).
    The HS80 mentioned by Ingolf are a good choice amongst many others.

Personal taste is key here. Both the 271 and the 770 are good cans. Bear in mind that there is a wider sonic difference within the Beyer than the AKG line. The best advice I give you is to go round friends that have both and test them. We have about a dozen AKG and half a dozen Beyers. They are all valid (as other brands of course). The 770 feel a bit bassier than the AKG 271. I personally prefer Beyer DT990 in that price range as I find them closer to the source but again it is personal preference....

I guess he wants to profile them for himself or his facility. I briefly spoke to him the other day. I'll ask him if I have a chance.
    On a side note, profiling is not like shifting boxes, in other words you need to know your amps well in live as well as production (read studio) environment in order to have real sounding profiles. Then it is also a matter of taste and context.

A reamp box will change your line out of your audio interface/sound card signal back to high impedance guitar/instrument in order to feed the KPA (or any other amp for that matter). Very likely the headphone out of the Apogee has a very different impedance, hence the noise.

For old amps lovers I have just added a couple of new profiles to the Ampsound Classic Amp series, namely a Mullard loaded 1966 Wem and a 1970 Treble & Bass Selmer 100. Celestion Creamback, WGS Reaper and Tayden Retro 55, recorded with vintage MD409 and original MD 421 HN and some newer mics via valve M72 and discrete V676 preamps.
    You can find them here. As usual demos played by ourselves (house engineers and friends so apologies in advance as we are not Satrianis nor Bonamassas :D )

http://www.ampsound.eu

Spend time playing, don't worry too much!

I haven't had a look at the specs but I assume the KPA is doing its math way higher than 24 bit so it has to dither down before output somehow.

i would think it'd be more important to use for the input vs. the output...

Yes on the input side the difference could be relevant to some extent (if this feature was available) . On the DA side although it makes a difference I don't think it is really a matter of concern since we are talking "guitar amps" where by definition signals are not unreasonably wide ranging in terms of frequency responses.

Benchmark, Mytek, Lavry, Prism and Burl all sound nice hooked up the the KPA (haven't tried other ones with the KPA) but it is not something you would want to loose your sleep over. If profiling through an external AD was available than that could be an interesting thing to try out.