Posts by Ale

Yes I have. I've got to be honest and say that I'm not as blown away as I thought I'd be. But then people do say that it really comes alive with a twin-amp setup. If it impresses me on Tuesday then it'll be a keeper. If not, then it's off to eBay.

please let us know..i would like to buy it to have a split signal/stereo separation when i play trough headphones..and i do it 99% of the time

Well, the Kemper going up the shitters caught me at a low ebb, so I just had a shop around. Managed to get a good deal on a Helix so I've ordered one, so shall have a good A/B session when it arrives on Tuesday. Feel like Judas 'cos I love my toaster. On the bright side - I'll be able to give my new Mimiq Doubler pedal a proper twin-amp session :)

Have you tried the mimiq with the kemper on headphones? How dows it work? I am interested in that pedal

The Matrix NL12 has an extended frequency response so it can work both with cab sims and without. Some profiles I liked better with the cab sims on, others without. The Top Jimi Marshall 68 Super Lead was one where the cab sim feels too "roomy" for me. Turning the cab sims off with the NL12 brought the amp "to the front". The great thing about the NL12 is that it's still a traditional cab, otherwise turning off the cab sim on a full FRFR, headphones, or monitors isn't pleasant.
    My opinion, and I know it's shared by many here, is that a cab is preferred to studio monitors. Matrix also makes full FRFR cabs, and they all weigh almost nothing. The thing about the NL12's is that they are passive, so they will require a power amp. The FR10 and FR12's are powered (with AB power, to boot). The FR's, however, are not traditional guitar cabs so they would require the cab sims on to not sound like crap.

Great to hear you're able to try some new things, brother. I definitely recommend the Matrix NL12 if you're seriously considering it. Some weeks ago when I was with my band playing the 68 Super Lead (with the cab sim off through the NL12), I was compelled to stop suddenly and yell, "Fuck, that sounds awesome!". The other guys thought it was funny because I'm not normally a very enthusiastic person about damn near anything. Here is a decent review of the NL12.

As for the high gain profiles, have you tried Jevo's stuff? I was using the 5150 III last night and sounded amazing.

Thanks for the tips.. I suppose the 10 or 12 inch speaker Will produce more volume than one 5 inch monitor, given the volume level from the kpa. In that case i should bring back the volume, move less air etc..That's my only concern cause Only lately i found a balance in volume in order to not disturb my neighbours. Said that, i am open to find or look for better sonic solutuions given the volume issues...

Not sure if it's the exact same thing, but I noticed something like that. For instance, I love the 68 Super Lead by Top Jimi. Just a beautiful, iconic sound. But after playing more modern high gain profiles, I go back and it sounds like it's in a room with the mic 10 feet away. When I turned the cab sim off on my Matrix NL12's (guitar cabs with an extended frequency response), the 68 Super Lead absolutely slayed.
    This is why I suggested getting a real speaker because headphones, to me, just can't give you that same feel. We're all different, and I know what it's like to live in an apartment where you have to keep the noise down. Hell, I live in one of those right now, but I still use my studio monitors as opposed to headphones. You can still keep the volume low.

The way I see it, the Kemper is a digital emulation of a particular tube amp (or, I suppose any amp). Those amps are built to be played in a room, a room which affects the characteristic of the sound. I wouldn't want to buy a Peavey 5150 and have to listen to it in headphones all the time.

Hopefully you figure out all the tricks to make it work, mate! As one guitarist to another, I just want you to be able to rock and feel awesome about what you're playing.

Do you use the nl12 and turn off the cabinet in the kpa right? I ask you this bacause today i have managed to turn up a little the volume on my monitor (yamaha hs5 if i am not wrong) and it was loud. So i disconnected one speaker and played at higher volume only with one cab and rhe resilt was overall good... Basically i moved some air, very little air because the volume was still low, and the sound/ sensation when you play with an amp in front of you came alive....so, what if i buy a matrix fl 10 or a 1x12 regular cab? Would it be better to have one cab instead of 2 monitors but still keep the volume low?

In the first place, i would like thank you all for your support and advices. In the last days i experimented a lot with new and old profiles, techniques suggested by some of you... Etc. I found some interesting things and profiles. For example, on a jvm by reampzone i added a grafic eq in the stomp section with minimal adjustments and volume pushed and i heard good good sounds. This led me to believe that probably i need some powerful pickups for those focused drop d riffs. Then today i bought a new les paul and i notived improvements. I played two hours straight and this new traditional plain top is a beast!! It is probably the missing link. I will keep experimenting using mostly reampzone profiles and then i will consider also some new higher output pickups like jb, suhr aldrich... Finger crossed.
    Said that, i never ment to question the product like someone said, i am just tryng to find a way to make it work on high gain. Moreover, it's true that the kpa is all about the profile that fit your ears and tastes but there are some profiles, for example some mbritt and also Taf, that sound so distant/covered by a blanket and full of low mids that i can't imagine how they are useful/playable, unless i miss some technique to make them shine (any advice on this point is appreciated).
    I will keep you updated, thanks so much and forgive me if my english is not perfect, I am italian..hope that what i have just written makes sense

Hang on a second, encase its the beer and me missing some thing (as usual)
    We are trying to get a specific SOUND taken from clips that are already double tracked and mixed?
    Answer Yes Ash you Stupid bastard.

No Ash. I am only trying to achieve good high gain sounds through my headphones. I get good cleans, crunch and pushed crunch with variable results (but mostly good) but i can't get satisfying high gain sounds. When i want to play stuff like Them Bones or Slither from Velvet revolver i can't get the sound i want. So i buy profiles that sound fantastic, in the clips made by the sellers, but when i load them in the KPA i can't get the same sound...it's totally different..sometimes they sound like there's a blanket on the speaker, or too fizzy...etc. Here starts my frustration and the idea of selling the Kemper for something else (like a jcm1 with torpedo for example) since i can not do my own profiles. I think i won't sell it but i want to find a way to make it work for high gain (i would be happy also with one high gain that sounds like i want) because i can live with the cleans and the crunch i get.

You did this for what? Remove the blanket sound from some profiles?

I imagine how the kemper would sound more beefier and overall complex with a cab but when i play with my monitors i have to keep the volume really low and i hardly understand if the profile i am playing is a vox or marshall... I don't think a cab ( regular or flat response) would change this. In future my situation might change but at present i live in an apartment and i am forced to play mainly with head phones

It depends.. Some profiles Sound better than others. Unfortunately i can play only through headphones so i want to find a way to make it work. For example there sre some profiles by top commercial vendors which are promising but sound like there is a blanket over the cab and i tried many ways in order to avoid this but without success. Whst do you do in situations like this?

i don't think the headphones i own are a problEM. After all, on clean and crunch i get acceptable to good sounds. The problem is on high gain. They sound fizzy or too metal if you know what i mean..

For example

External Content www.youtube.com
    Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.

Content embedded from external sources will not be displayed without your consent.
    Through the activation of external content, you agree that personal data may be transferred to third party platforms. We have provided more information on this in our privacy policy.